20 hours ago, Nick C said:

Yeah, we did have a bit of a chat while you were shunting the yard, but I forgot to introduce myself! I was the one in the green Watercress Line fleece operating Merstone behind you.

Ah got you good to be able to put a face to the name and meet you in person.

• Like 1

Ropley had a good weekend out at Basingstoke. Performed well all weekend with a bit of a bumpy start Saturday morning as we trained the team to understand the new electrics. Also as we kept Kevin away from the soldering iron. 

Sunday the layout preformed the best I think it ever has done so was over the moon and was all packed away in record time too 

couple of photos from the weekend although I was only able to take some first thing Sunday morning being the only one knowing how it all worked.

IMG_5499.jpeg.f73eb7b1dbe8c109ca95e77d7b5623bd.jpeg

through the trees 5224 sits in light steam with the 08 ready to send it over to the pit line as Nelson has already come off shed. The 9f sits behind

IMG_5503.jpeg.de4b96b1e2ec1a7f3fbe3bd3b07594a1.jpeg

a new place to take a photo from. standing on top of a container in the car park getting down some parts of locos for the sheds we see lion arrive with the breakdown crane. 

IMG_5502.jpeg.eca37c4977efe772014ec2ca63025b13.jpeg

and lastly a full yard and the arrival of wadebridge on the first up trip to Alton 

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

IMG_4962.jpeg.ebc13a20eca3492b4f6710e38f66ce6a.jpeg

Ropley running well at Basingstoke 

IMG_4961.jpeg.fc39a15f26c943134b765e000a070b64.jpeg

IMG_4959.jpeg.d8527db231b2ddbbf11223c83cbec5f0.jpeg

IMG_4958.jpeg.392a49413974b28a62cb9889ed8d87ac.jpeg

Now he’s just worried what other photos I have 😉

IMG_4952.jpeg.32e28fa480e560f48da34a0f399dc4f3.jpeg

IMG_4957.jpeg

Well if it’s worse than me doing my laces whilst operating who knows what you have. Good thing you weren’t recording me like someone’s else hahaha 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Another cracking Layout at the Basingstoke Show that I missed by not going. This really is a gem of a Layout and is on my bucket list of Layouts to see. Nice one Chris, hope it all went well.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Another cracking Layout at the Basingstoke Show that I missed by not going. This really is a gem of a Layout and is on my bucket list of Layouts to see. Nice one Chris, hope it all went well.

Cheers Andy  and hopefully not too soon till you can see it. All went incredibly well other than a slow start on Saturday training everyone to ensure the layout ran well. Was really pleased it performed well and main issue was a traverser not working but easy to work around and it’s in the bench now to see why but at least scenic boards behaved for a change.

• Like 1

Another nice surprise on the weekend other than good running was the return of some of the diesel home fleet having been away for a bit of weathering 

Thank you Ian for doing these for me really look the part and gave me an excuse to hold a diesel gala on the Sunday which annoyingly I got no photos or videos of. Must also say lion stole the show on Sunday too. 

IMG_5568.jpeg.ad12953090821f017a27dac7a4e2863d.jpeg

IMG_5572.jpeg.e09c12b37a1da35d8d7746d2196a50c2.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg.7652c95b56646c681d4c628ef48ff406.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg.49c0b041b9532c959a3f1a1404dc5e62.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I would add to others comments , really must get to see this layout. As someone who volunteered at Ropley for 30 odd years it is fascinating to see it created to such a high standard in miniature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, PhilH said:

I would add to others comments , really must get to see this layout. As someone who volunteered at Ropley for 30 odd years it is fascinating to see it created to such a high standard in miniature.

Thank you at the show there was lots of people from the railway there. A lot of good feedback of course the game of spot what’s there now to then hahaha. Wagon group have also given me a challenge to consider doing 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chriscleveland said:

Thank you Ian for doing these for me really look the part and gave me an excuse to hold a diesel gala on the Sunday which annoyingly I got no photos or videos of. Must also say lion stole the show on Sunday too. 

IMG_5569.jpeg.7652c95b56646c681d4c628ef48ff406.jpeg

No problem Chris I’m glad you’re happy with them, just the thumper now!

I really like that pic with the way the light is catching it.

i forgot to ask have you got the 37s the right way round?😉

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

No problem Chris I’m glad you’re happy with them, just the thumper now!

I really like that pic with the way the light is catching it.

i forgot to ask have you got the 37s the right way round?😉

Over the moon with them gonna have to do a session with you to brave doing the dmu and 37905. 

was gutted I didn’t get any photos or videos of them when the layout was up and running. 

don’t worry they are written down all the correct ways on the stock boxes now to not get caught out haha 

Now everything is out of the way for a while time to get going again.Following on from the show the biggest piece of feedback from a few people I know viewing the layout was the carriage and boiler shop shed.

IMG_5846.jpeg.10937840657acb4ba0333509415f16ef.jpeg

The glazing on the roof blocks a clear view into the shed but removing it will be a challenge as this shed isn’t as simple as meets the eye. So behind the scenes the roofs lift off to give access to do maintenance in the sheds. The shed is biggest building by far on the layout about 4 locos long and to make it worse Spans over a board joint oh and at an angle. 

IMG_5845.jpeg.eea4dced1864e3ac63a5c106076f8fd9.jpeg

As this photo shows the reflection off of the glazing

IMG_5847.jpeg.70fff7f36016530191bd40f4ea1e66a6.jpeg

now the fun begins to make something a little like this where there is no glazing like the roof shown on the front from the main shed, find a way to keep the strength, and a way to make them travel ok on the layout where I can to reduce damages as well as be able to remove to get in the sheds for any tidying and new additions. I’m also hoping having an edge left on will help for tidiness and looking like the viewing hole is deliberate as well as helping make it look like a full roof is in place when taking photos of locos in the headshunt line. 

IMG_5849.jpeg.976d98a96ed5470fd8efa704a2507dfb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chriscleveland said:

find a way to keep the strength, and a way to make them travel ok on the layout where I can to reduce damages

Is there any mileage in a blank panel that clips in, or with magnets, for transit to keep it braced but can be removed at a show? 
It is nice to see all the work inside. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Is there any mileage in a blank panel that clips in, or with magnets, for transit to keep it braced but can be removed at a show? 

I have found that even powerful magnets will come loose these days with the state of the roads if you find a pothole. Had a 4mm Modelu figure which are very light, fitted with a neodymium magnet, come off the layout and lose a foot. Luckily I had a few spare feet where I had carved off a leg to fit a figure around a speaker. A clip or even a few small screws blended the same colour with the roof is probably best.

Edited by roundhouse

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m thinking I may stick the opening roof to the shed roof girder edges as the girders in some come out and the solid roofs to be magnetically held down and worst case that side comes or to support maintenance. Also the fiddleyard straights could be used to keep them flat in transport but need to give it a go to see what happens 

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I have found that even powerful magnets will come loose these days with the state of the roads if you find a pothole. Had a 4mm Modelu figure which are very light fitted with a neodymium magnet, come off the layout and lose a foot. Luckily I had a few spare feet where I had carved off a leg to fit a figure around a speaker. A clip or even a few small screws blended the same colour with the roof is probably best.

Was thinking how well they would transport with magnets so that's handy to know. Maybe using the magnets to hold the big roofs down just for shows and not transporting being left in place might be an option 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Main issue I’ve found with magnets is sticking to them. I solved that by using araldite and having a thin skim over the top too, none of those have come loose yet. :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Main issue I’ve found with magnets is sticking to them. I solved that by using araldite and having a thin skim over the top too, none of those have come loose yet. :) 

The magnets didnt' break their adhesive join but came away from the magnet fitted to the layout

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another idea for this shed 

as this one to do maintenance the frame lifts out in full I could do this option as this is a different build to the others.  

IMG_5858.jpeg.c215e61641b4a9aef291a9e5eaf3fdf3.jpeg

I’ve cut the front roof to the board joint then I could stick this one down along with this one as the roof trusses could be used to hold it down. 

IMG_5859.jpeg.7c21a0bc4e02bc49a07a818f080709f3.jpeg

Then only the back would need magnets to hold it down and then can be stored in the boxing in of the fiddleyard when in transport? Then the other shed roofs could have the same build principle but potentially the backs could stay on in transport or again go into the fiddleyards?

• Like 5

Bit more fun with roofs 

mainly now been repairing the strips on the front roof to get it ready for spraying and a edging to be made. Just the back roof to go. 

think this is what I’m looking to do once completed just temp fixing to be trialed now 

IMG_5876.jpeg.9138ada22a19fd2a11cfe020335e625b.jpeg

without the glazing adds a much better view into the sheds. Also I don’t think the back roof blocks the view as much as I have removed the front lip it used to have before the glazing so using the roof ridge as the top break gives another 2cm additional to the view in. 

IMG_5877.jpeg.1840673b108db6f72a12175b8d916cb3.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg.d321e576153cc59098c73e91c6ec668f.jpeg

I have also redone the lights inside which I hope will also help as they used to not help the issues of the reflection on the glazing. Now to find a spray colour I’m happy with to spray it up once the back roof has had repairs done and then we can look at securing sections and making access in easier going forward. 

• Like 12

Whilst on the subject of roofs I’ve also tried something a little different 

modelling in preservation limits giving something a good weathering job. For the time frame I came across on YouTube a coach the railway used at the 2011 spring gala which they painted to be a support coach to the crane. Having too many brake coaches left over and one in the Bachmann dark green livery I decided to recreate this coach 

IMG_6068.jpeg.bb63a88c3f2b1151527d17d8894568ee.jpeg

all windows are basically filled in and the roof is looking tired. 

IMG_6078.jpeg.5edb34c61a3b00aa8857f3a70c083907.jpeg

Nice to sometimes have something on the layout that doesn’t look perfect and adds a bit of character. 

IMG_6077.jpeg.f19423166c044e57999c5ce2f21707a6.jpeg

now back to shed roofs and working out what over projects I would like to complete before Ropleys next outing to Taunton show. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

Whilst on the subject of roofs I’ve also tried something a little different 

modelling in preservation limits giving something a good weathering job. For the time frame I came across on YouTube a coach the railway used at the 2011 spring gala which they painted to be a support coach to the crane. Having too many brake coaches left over and one in the Bachmann dark green livery I decided to recreate this coach 

IMG_6068.jpeg.bb63a88c3f2b1151527d17d8894568ee.jpeg

all windows are basically filled in and the roof is looking tired. 

IMG_6078.jpeg.5edb34c61a3b00aa8857f3a70c083907.jpeg

Nice to sometimes have something on the layout that doesn’t look perfect and adds a bit of character. 

IMG_6077.jpeg.f19423166c044e57999c5ce2f21707a6.jpeg

I was guard on one of that coaches trips along the line with the crane. It was a fairly rough ride and the inside of the coach made the outside appear brand new! I don't think any of the windows were plated over, just painted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I was guard on one of that coaches trips along the line with the crane. It was a fairly rough ride and the inside of the coach made the outside appear brand new! I don't think any of the windows were plated over, just painted.

I believe the coach is now back in passenger use? And was hard to tell as you can just see the lip on the windows just got to do the lettering and numbers at some point.

• Friendly/supportive 1