Hi all 

running short of projects now as I can’t seem to find some locos to become donors for my next Loco projects and the layout is only up in a small section 

I have been looking at the board joint on the hills on the platform board as I never originally put wood in to support and it’s always has a small gap. I also have finished the tender for 31806 as it gets closer to completing its overhaul. 

hopefully I can acquire some locos to start some projects I want to so but with no exhibitions makes it a lot harder 

cheers

chris 

8EF6BDF6-5593-4AEA-8E23-3DA4F4DF25E6.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Was the T Junction portacabin still on that hill in the era you’re doing Chris? 
I can’t quite remember what was changed around there since I was there a bit earlier.

Hello Nick 

It was indeed in the time frame but sits just off scene unfortunately that is one of the down sides as I do loose a bit of the overall scene because if I made the baseboards wider transport would have been an issue as well as getting it through doors.

Chris 

1 hour ago, chriscleveland said:

Hello Nick 

It was indeed in the time frame but sits just off scene unfortunately that is one of the down sides as I do loose a bit of the overall scene because if I made the baseboards wider transport would have been an issue as well as getting it through doors.

Chris 

Oh yes I see what you mean now Chris.  
There wasn’t actually an awful lot on that bit grass then was there? Apart from maybe a couple of picnic benches.

There is not a lot of play room unfortunately.

As I am running out of bigger projects currently as sourcing them is tricky I have decided its time to start repairing and finishing the brass fencing along the top of the hill. 

A couple of photos taken around the station before 33202 left the line 

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

• Like 10

Well looking over the last year Ropley is starting to pick up on productivity so with the enthusiasm on a high why stop. More fencing has now been straightened out along the board. A very long a fiddly job with new bits of brass being added to drop into the hill for stability as well as straightening out all the kinks after being attacked by the cat. 

with another board joint done now allows me to take it over the baseboard onto the board closer to the carriage shed. 

with part of Ropley out of the cradle I can also work on track heights from scenics to fiddleyard as Alresford  was the most problematic as the point board seemed to have a slight dip and track nights not level meant Loco bogies would rise above the track onto the scenic board and cause derailments with a certain few locos. 

with scenics in full swing we see class 11 shunter putting into the wheeldrop shed another item of rolling stock for me to also start on. Another kitbash project is on route as well as some Loco projects. 

Chris 

519598B0-55B1-4D8E-B8FF-4E1687545B92.jpeg

720D4F92-4BFF-4CE8-BA56-43C462C278DF.jpeg

35D4FA90-7CB9-444E-8CFE-7468BC65162E.jpeg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Another Loco project done. I am slowly getting all locos correctly named and numbered for the layout. Here we see 33053 ticking over in the station after arriving from Alton and awaiting for the signalman to set the route into the yard. 

I have just finished renumbering 33053, varnishing, and weathering the loco to give it a good faded blue look. Thank you @Temeraire for the tips on getting the faded blue look. 

5CA686A4-18AC-4EEA-83AF-28DFCF6C513D.jpeg

Edited by chriscleveland
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

Another Loco project done. I am slowly getting all locos correctly named and numbered for the layout. Here we see 33053 ticking over in the station after arriving from Alton and awaiting for the signalman to set the route into the yard. 

I have just finished renumbering 33053, varnishing, and weathering the loco to give it a good faded blue look. Thank you @Temeraire for the tips on getting the faded blue look. 

5CA686A4-18AC-4EEA-83AF-28DFCF6C513D.jpeg

Love it.
Can I ask how you made those lampposts Chris?

16 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Love it.
Can I ask how you made those lampposts Chris?

The lights are one of my only purchased ready items. They were purchased through kytes lights a few years ago and painted to the correct colours required for Ropley. Better than that i could make, making the yard lights were hard enough.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all, 

not a lot happening on Ropley like normal as I’m struggling to acquire parts for my next projects. However I am slowly working my way through sorting out Loco transfers and getting them to match photos from the time frame. 

The diesel fleet is taking the lead as I have the most transfers for this area. D3358 is next up as I have added the BR crest to the side of the Loco and added the white handrails. They are deliberately not painted fully to make it look like paint has come away and white handrails get dirty quickly too. 
The numbers D3358 will have to wait as these seem smaller to normal transfers. 

I am hoping to get the headshunt up in due course to show off a more complete headshunt look from 2011 all bar the usa tank I am still on the hunt for to make some big changes too 

I am also not happy with some of the scenics around the layout which will have to be changed in due course. Trees are one of these areas but I am struggling to find the best and most realistic ways to create them as well as bramble looking bushes. 

Chris 

469C3A9D-473C-4675-81DC-7D23C95670A1.jpeg

4C8A9BEA-5A06-47D8-A81C-C0DA80EE5C22.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chriscleveland said:

does anyone know where I can get transfers made or if anyone has made any for class 11 12049 which held day aggregate livery at Ropley?

Unfortunately it seems the markings are all white, otherwise I would suggest you make your own. White printing is possible using a 'ghost' cartridge in a laser printer that prints white instead of black, but they are expensive just for one set of transfers, and they are only available for a small number of printers (mine is not one of them). ALPS printers can also print white, but again, expensive unless you are planning producing lots of transfers.

4awTKjwOHxXfeq_nYw3IIE1nCwLA1YJDswPGemHY

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So another project is now underway 

with the baseboards rotated I have turned my attentions towards the road bridge. 

I have decided the scenics needs looking at as it was all done in a rush for a show a while ago and feel areas need re doing 

so staring from the road bridge I am filling the baseboard joints  better to protect the polystyrene hills to start with as shared in earlier posts. The grass areas will be redone and refreshed to look better so what better place to start in than the former Ropley woodland walk in the top carpark. This area will be modelled before most of the trees were removed before the opening of the kings cross footbridge. Unfortunately the miniature railway can’t fit. I have also decided to start removing all trees and having another go at them after seeing some amazing trees on other layouts have inspired me to try again. I have started a staggered stage for trees to be made in from building, to filling out the branches, then painting they will all get done at the same time for the scenics so Ropley will look like it’s in winter to start with. (I must add some areas where a camera can peer through for some photos once the trees are planted)  

Also Ropley’s  longest project has now been completed in the form of 12049. I’m really happy how this Loco has turned out and is a great addition to the diesel fleet with its unique livery I nearly gave up with this project but here we are and I can finally say I will be able to take the photo in model form that started the build of Ropley with the exact diesel lineup recreated once the layout goes up in full!! 

9C93780B-E2DF-4287-AC75-AADCB3F3505B.jpeg

1929AED6-E83C-4F01-A998-75D40B73CCE5.jpeg

4A979D26-EE30-4BB9-861C-1A9E67BFD53C.jpeg

F6114DED-A48B-4403-9615-05E8A180F27B.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back over some posts recently all I can say is Ropley has had a very productive year so why stop there? Unfortunately so productive I have fallen behind on the updates :huh: So lets kick off with the 33 that arrived on the line where did it go? well looks like its awaiting it turn in the headshunt for its turn in the sheds as it is in need of some tlc from the loco workshops. I thought I might start making  little story to each of my projects going forward :) funnily enough I picked this engine up years ago for spares for my other 33's but being the only slim jim I own the time has come to turn it into a runner. What a better place than Ropley :) any guesses what it might look like after? Also in the photo 27007 has has its tarpaulins adjusted.  

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

Looking back over some posts recently all I can say is Ropley has had a very productive year so why stop there? Unfortunately so productive I have fallen behind on the updates :huh: So lets kick off with the 33 that arrived on the line where did it go? well looks like its awaiting it turn in the headshunt for its turn in the sheds as it is in need of some tlc from the loco workshops. I thought I might start making  little story to each of my projects going forward :) funnily enough I picked this engine up years ago for spares for my other 33's but being the only slim jim I own the time has come to turn it into a runner. What a better place than Ropley :) any guesses what it might look like after? Also in the photo 27007 has has its tarpaulins adjusted.  

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

That view brings back so many memories. In the early 1990s a friend of mine lived in an old LMS inspection saloon in that siding and in the bad old days of wandering around without being questioned I used walk down to see him most days. You’ve captured it really well there Chris.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the background but trees are making good progress and the woodland walk is starting to become not so much of a distant memory more trees to come as I have worked out there is easily still another 20 to make some will have to be more precise that others to the real location 

22805AEA-6202-4492-BAD2-7C98440F74C6.jpeg

34F696A8-0122-4ADB-97A7-94C0C422D89E.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • chriscleveland changed the title to Ropley Station between 2010 - 2012 as preserved

Another project down at last. 33 slim Jim enters the sheds for an overhaul and new colour scheme and to become fellow classmate D6593. This project was a bit of a restoration as the loco was a spares donor originally so lots went on above and below the body. Another great addition to the loco fleet. D6593 no longer is at the Mid Hants last I knew it was currently having work done on it at the Battlefield line. Plenty more projects to follow as i currently have lots on the workbench as we look to start booking Ropley into some shows again at long last :D

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5846 (2).JPG

IMG_5964 (2).JPG

IMG_6034 (2).JPG

Edited by chriscleveland
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A opportunity has arisen to have an additional board up of Ropley briefly meaning the yard is back up in full so rude not to take a photo or two. This will also allow me to do some yard moves when it’s wired up as well as look at problems we have like board joints and finishing the embankment. It will also mean I can decide what to do with the carriage and wagon shed as it’s the biggest building on the layout and to me the one that doesn’t look right. 6212DA65-3B15-4B0F-8CFB-C9528296498E.jpeg.47c3e5d228d8c976040bcdb568ddbd5b.jpeg 

4F36BFE2-207C-4C30-8776-FDF020A9F448.jpeg

6A271894-96F9-42CA-8537-670A927F1D92.jpeg

• Like 7