Just come across this topic, interesting layout build, and nice to see another preserved layout... so much for not being popular haha.

Some great models especially the restoration locos and the coach really interesting and inspiring, might have to look in to those myself.

Shall be following with interest.

Preservation seems to be quite slim considering the amount of preservation lines there is. I was bought up mainly around ropley and with slim interest in modern day I thought I would give it a go. I have seen your layout on threads and really do like it! There are a total of 2 chopped up coaches and a few still to be done the carriage shed is the next project to commence after the yard re lay

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

after much head scratching and destruction i am happy with the look so its time to re piece the puzzle

The yards eye sore is now a thing of the past as all is shaping up how it should have done originally but nether the less still plenty to do before the final outcome can be seen

so far all track has been re laid with longer points in place for a better flow with stock. The coaling stage has been re made from the old one and some new parts included of course and glued into place. All the containers are in situ with bases glued so I can lift the bodies off for weathering and painting in due course. The tankers are currently receiving some modifications to bring then up to scratch. 30499 in barry condition on its concrete pad is also coming along nicely. The carriage shed has been the first of the two buildings to be modified with the entire structure moving 2" back sounds easy but unfortunately its on a board joint so easier said than done. Im really pleased with the two right hand points merged looks so much better in my opinion.

Unfortunately the sister has the camera on her this wek so I wil post pictures when they return but I can ppost older ones to give the idea  

Chris

post-14552-0-56750800-1438077794_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-87007800-1438077810_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah nice one cheers if not I guess I'll have to visit urie over the weekend for in the flesh photos

Ah nice one cheers if not I guess I'll have to visit urie over the weekend for in the flesh photos

so over the last few weeks ropley has slowly progressed with the yard mainly re surfacing as I ripped it all up

I have re wired the yard so that the carriage shed can become operational to shunt coaches in and out of the shed as well as store the odd tender too

my U class and urie S15's have turned up so guess what im building next as well as all the number plates and names

I have also ordered more yard items which I think will suit the scene well too

will post photos this weekend

if you are in the area in September its the Basingstoke model railway open day which will show beggarwood lane the layout im building the town scene for and possibly Ropley

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

so more modelling and more time again means things are pushing forward on both models

Beggarwood lane is making its first scenic appearance on the 19th at Basingstoke meaning lots to be done but ropley may also be attending the same location so the pressure is on

I have completed all the poly filler stage and wiring for testing prior to cutting the point motor rods that stick up through the track so I can complete the points and lay the yard ballast in ready

I have also loaned the airbrush to paint 30828 into its proper colour livery so it can be lined but if anyone could help I want to fade its paintwork and would love to find out how to do this ?????

I have built a further 8 houses for beggarwood as well as the template shop and laid out the exact plan to be

ropley has had all yard filler ready or testing wiring complete as well as shed 1 moved into it correct location

I have also started another few machines for the workshops for when they are ready in the next couple of days I have decided to make some sound systems and some lights to be added too

my ultimate secret project is also nearly complete so will show a video when it is :0

I will add photos on Monday when the camera returns from the lake district

• Like 1

so after more modelling ropley is now getting there more wiring has been carried out recently all working apart from the new barry slip

the coaling stage is all built ready for more coal as well as the ash pit

the c&w works is in place now and ready for work to take place after the boiler shop moves

I have decided to make all rolling stock moveable apart from the pmv in the works

the s15 boiler will also not be moved too meaning 2 bullied coaches can be shunted as well as the 4mt boiler on the trollies just got to make the coupling jig to move these as well as some wheels too

I hope to have the scenic compete by the weekend ready for some more areas to be focused on

I want to make working roller doors but haven't got a clue on how ah a tricky situation there

the signal box will also be another focus point as well as interiors of the sheds so I can finally add the roofs on for display purposes

board 1 is the only board im happy with so only 5 to go and a better revised fiddle yard 

photos attached show recent progress

enjoy

post-14552-0-85087500-1441721543_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-25449500-1441721559_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-72131100-1441721579_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-11282900-1441721600_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

thank you

I hope so to so much to do so little time

I will post more photos prior and on the weekend showing the full extent of the layout will be the first time in a while the whole thing will be up apart from fiddle yards

I hope to complete some more projects on the line then more rolling stock after the show

Chris

• Like 1

So today I finished the coaling stage and ash pit finally the hills are green and boiler shop re positioned I have also started the undercoat for the yard since there is only round the points to go 30828 has unearthed a short due to wheel arrangement so will have to wait til after the open day for attention

Tomorrow I hope to finish the yard in undercoat ready for yard lay that night ready for photos Friday ready for Saturday

Chris

• Like 1

So after a busy weekend its all back to normality

after a mass tidy sunday night with the layout still stuck in transport gave me the opportunity to shrink down my scenic item and store items not required at this time and find some I forgot I had!

so more progress has been made focusing on the yard front

I now have all small huts etc glued down with a fist yard covering on too

I hope to today complete the yard and build some quirky little details to go on the layout too

Chris

post-14552-0-24605400-1443087021_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-34604600-1443087036_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-31667400-1443087082_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-49457800-1443087107_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all

weekend went well thanks lots of interest and people able to tell where it was

more work has been carried out with the yard now ballasted at long last!

the coaling stage is nearly complete with just the spring hut left to do

scaffholding has been built over 30828's boiler and that area is now the next attention point

wiring has been focused on too with half the yard now running as I call it 08 proof so that I can park locos in different locations and still be able to remove a shunting engine and drive off maybe should have gone dcc :O

more detail parts are being assembled and the boiler shed is almost complete with the new wiring about to commence for lights and other items that require power

I took a few photos which suggest a diesel gala might have just taken place

Cheers

post-14552-0-90348100-1443433311_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-02855000-1443433347_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-79580700-1443433367_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-76740300-1443433382_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-65303900-1443433404_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

More work completed in the yard now

the yard itself now runs at long last but I seemed to have forgotten a dropper somewhere woops.....

more progress within the yard now has been made too and I am nearly ready now to focus my attention elsewhere

yard detail will build over time with more clutter

I have just put the wood over the points but am not fully satisfied with this so back to the drawing board

the carriage shed is the next focus point and the boiler shed is almost done too

board 4 will be the next stage before returning to sort out outside the shed

I hope to have boards 1, 4 and 3 to a high stage of completion by Christmas with board 2 going to have some tlc

post-14552-0-80330900-1444295137_thumb.jpg

post-14552-0-87073600-1444295162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after a good day playing on Tidworth has given me another boost to continue on Ropley.I have completed wiring the yard meaning I can do some shunting and complete the yard.

I hope to post some shots of the yard almost completed on Monday then it's onto the carriage shed and finishing 30499. I have sent 30828 away for attention.

I hope to also finish the main shed this week too ready for roofing.

• Like 2