We finally hit a milestone!

ropley has finally been finished being wired up. We can now run 2 trains out at once, as well as one around the loco sheds. Also all sidings in the fiddleyard have been completed. Not an easy job to do unless the layout is up in full which has been few and far between. A real shame really as I hoped it would have got to shows. Shame I never went dcc.

Anyway with all electrics working our attentions have turned to the back scenes. We made the call to replace them as can be seen in the photos attached. 

Some other areas of the layout will now receive attention and photos to follow. 

Chris 

DD7CDDD6-A7D4-4331-9D85-F292E7B14A4A.jpeg

9311C3DC-73D5-45D1-AD5D-4EA59D468B2E.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, chriscleveland said:

It’s not been an easy challenge some have been just as hard as building a real place was 

It’s also looking for suitable locos to dismantle for modelling that is difficult. I was lucky to inherit two O gauge wrecks to model with.

The work done on this layout is brilliant and the level of detail is truly inspiring!

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/09/2019 at 16:36, PannierTanker14 said:

It’s also looking for suitable locos to dismantle for modelling that is difficult. I was lucky to inherit two O gauge wrecks to model with.

The work done on this layout is brilliant and the level of detail is truly inspiring!

The locos are all true to timescale which has been the biggest challenge to model their appearances at the time as things change so quickly. The locos continue to be my biggest challenge to get them to all look right. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chriscleveland said:

The locos are all true to timescale which has been the biggest challenge to model their appearances at the time as things change so quickly. The locos continue to be my biggest challenge to get them to all look right. 

Keeping them to a timescale sounds difficult...but also awesome. You have your own little loco restoration going on. It must be like being part of the action!  XD

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

Keeping them to a timescale sounds difficult...but also awesome. You have your own little loco restoration going on. It must be like being part of the action!  XD

It is indeed! You do indeed as seen in the photo there are some of the locos waiting some work to be carried out on them to get them to where I want them all done from photos or off from memory 

4492DFDB-BFC3-4E90-88B7-0380F10B2EAB.jpeg

• Like 3

All done 80150 now finished and finally numbered since it’s last post. It was ready for Basingstoke’s open day and makes a nice addition to the fleet, and to think it was the second photo to start with! What a transformation one of my other favourite builds recently along with Douglas. My first ever build from nothing! CC333117-6121-4753-B39A-21CF618F875E.jpeg.2a87812d083dfd1bede0134d05bfa9bd.jpeg

B80571D6-520E-4BA8-8786-449ED57AB5B5.jpeg

6D5836FF-F723-4DA2-9D3E-8CC037814F5F.jpeg

• Like 3

Been playing with stock boxes again today trying to find a way I can pack just a bit more. The result is to make one where the coaches stand upright. This somehow allows me to fit 6 more coaches in than the normal amount of a total of 12 that I have in the boxes where they lay down. Unfortunately I can only do this with 1 tray otherwise they won’t fit in the box but oh well this opens up more stock opportunities. Now I just need to find a couple more of the Bachmann mk1’s in the green before Bachmann changed the shade it used as it is a darker and stands out a bit when mixed in a rake of coaches. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Another project on the way. This coach is used with the Pullman rake on the line and has just had a repaint to get the main coat closer to the colour of the Pullman’s. I have tried some roof weathering on this too and now need to find some Pullman lining to complete the project. I think it is used as a generator coach but I could be wrong?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all

Attached are a couple of photos showing all the stock we currently have showing signs of restoration work being carried out on them. This has been a challenging project within itself but all starting to come together?

which item of rolling stock is your favourite? Be great to know which one people like the most?

82849C52-B0F3-4929-A97B-A3259D50C944.jpeg

A59FBA28-4870-4662-A11E-4BC4EC635FAC.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, chriscleveland said:

Hi all

Attached are a couple of photos showing all the stock we currently have showing signs of restoration work being carried out on them. This has been a challenging project within itself but all starting to come together?

which item of rolling stock is your favourite? Be great to know which one people like the most?

82849C52-B0F3-4929-A97B-A3259D50C944.jpeg

A59FBA28-4870-4662-A11E-4BC4EC635FAC.jpeg

That Peak with the missing nose I quite like, mainly because there was a Peak at the GCR(N) just like it during its restoration. It was also the first Peak I ever saw.

However I also like all of the rolling stock because they look very brilliant and challenging. I often look at the pictures of them for inspiration for my 4F.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, chriscleveland said:

I'd love to answer this but they all look so fantastic.

The carriages with their framework showing look just like the ones I have seen in real life, every bit of trap looks real with it's folds and creases, the locos with missing parts have been modelled to an amazing standard, and the rust applied brilliantly.

I honestly couldn't pick a favourite, because you have done such a great job on all of them!

Gary

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

That Peak with the missing nose I quite like, mainly because there was a Peak at the GCR(N) just like it during its restoration. It was also the first Peak I ever saw.

However I also like all of the rolling stock because they look very brilliant and challenging. I often look at the pictures of them for inspiration for my 4F.

The peak was tricky and I think I even used photos of that peak to help me out! And some more to come #spoiler alert!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

The carriages with their framework showing look just like the ones I have seen in real life, every bit of trap looks real with it's folds and creases, the locos with missing parts have been modelled to an amazing standard, and the rust applied brilliantly.

I honestly couldn't pick a favourite, because you have done such a great job on all of them!

Gary

Thank you!! I really hope these models help capture the work done in preservation they have all been extremely challenging 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Gary

What he said...

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Chris,

The fact these models do just that is why Ropley is my favourite preservation era layout!

Gary

Thank you Gary. It’s been very hard and time consuming to think some of the stock is taking longer than the construction of the layout in areas is crazy. Some have been easier than others. Douglas was only made due to the experience I had In building The others . Douglas is the most unique as it is all scratch built other than the wheels. I have at least another 3 restoration projects I have photos for but still trying to decide if I should do them or not?

Chris

• Like 1