With a few days off it’s probably time to start a project that will take up that time. 

ages ago for Alton show I pushed myself to make all trees in time ready for the show however towards the end I tried another method which actually looks so much better which I did to the trees on the station boards

IMG_6184.jpeg.27a188381736f3c513e1e33d438cc0d0.jpeg

now with a little bit of time having a long weekend I can go and update the trees on the embankment where the top car park is just off the board.

IMG_6178.jpeg.08dfc59a7bfc3b4870976a70fab9b3e4.jpeg

this is how the trees currently look with woodland scenic poly fibre with scattter on top. 

IMG_6177.jpeg.527781dc13494833ea1ee3dbe4673d07.jpeg

This is the after look with replacing the fibre with foliage that you tease apart and tear apart to make the tree foliage.

i also made a mistake in making the stumps with poly filler which has cracked on some so this will be removed and replaced with dad clay.

hopefully will change this look a little for the better

IMG_6185.jpeg.502241c1ae56569018fdcd2e791e0c65.jpeg 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

God, trees.

I think I made about 250 of them for my railway and also my friends. I’m nearly over it now though…

Looking very good Chris.

I’ve run out of materials to finish the trees but definitely looking much better least I’m making treemendous progress

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Going back to your comments about weathering of preserved rolling stock, run of the mill stock in daily use needs brake dust on the carriage chassis and boigies as these rarely get that good a clean, coach ends will have grime as well as the rooves, debatable how often these get cleaned even with a carriage wash plant - as this just does the sides only. Bit of ingrained grime around door handles where they fit on the body. 

Locos will accumulate grime during the day .... while valve gear will get cleaned this should have a 'oily' film and not be too shiny. Dirt ingrained around bolt heads on buffer beams, and parts of the chassis, cylinders will have some oil streaks, paint chips on cab hand rails, and backs of the coal space on tender engines. Chipping on lamp brackets, by the end of the day the cab roof will be smoke stained, as well as the boiler topside, grease on buffer heads.

Water steaks from the water treatment plant fillers, chipping around tank fillers.

Goods stock which is parked up will have paint peeling / fading and brake dust on the brake gear and sole bars. Vans will have rain streaks on there canvas rooves, accumulating around the rain strips - which might have the trace of algae where water has pooled

Hope this helps...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Going back to your comments about weathering of preserved rolling stock, run of the mill stock in daily use needs brake dust on the carriage chassis and boigies as these rarely get that good a clean, coach ends will have grime as well as the rooves, debatable how often these get cleaned even with a carriage wash plant - as this just does the sides only. Bit of ingrained grime around door handles where they fit on the body. 

Locos will accumulate grime during the day .... while valve gear will get cleaned this should have a 'oily' film and not be too shiny. Dirt ingrained around bolt heads on buffer beams, and parts of the chassis, cylinders will have some oil streaks, paint chips on cab hand rails, and backs of the coal space on tender engines. Chipping on lamp brackets, by the end of the day the cab roof will be smoke stained, as well as the boiler topside, grease on buffer heads.

Water steaks from the water treatment plant fillers, chipping around tank fillers.

Goods stock which is parked up will have paint peeling / fading and brake dust on the brake gear and sole bars. Vans will have rain streaks on there canvas rooves, accumulating around the rain strips - which might have the trace of algae where water has pooled

Hope this helps...

Thank you does help indeed I do like the idea of really worn and rusty or covered in grime. All locos usually get some sort of weathering but nothing as much like they would have looked back in steam days 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy modeller today as the May addition of Railway Modeller has come out and feature’s Ropley 

Photographed last year at Alton model railway show when we had Ropley on show. I have looked forward to this coming out. 

IMG_6493.jpeg.a1ac676e417516e95c701ee1b19734cd.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2