And the Next Project please - Impetus Big Bagnall

Am I right in thinking the left hand fitting is a lubricator?

Is it an additional fitting for running passenger services?

Gordon A

Quite correct Gordon, it's a displacement/hydrostatic lubricator.  Often they're referred to as "Detroit" lubricators.but other companies also made them.  I used to own a Peckett W6 which had a Hattersley's version (probably fitted as an 'after market' addition) as well as the maker's 'standard' mechanical type. 

I'm afraid it has nothing to do with passenger working as it is just used for supplying cylinder oil to the valves and cylinders. Occasionally an additional mechanical lubricator has been fitted to feed motion oil to the axleboxes to combat overheating sometimes experienced when industrial locos are employed on longer heritage lines. Of course converting an industrial loco for passenger use also entails fitting a vacuum brake ejector, brake valve and associated pipework. Hope this helps.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Here he is, now weathered - and named.  I'm not very happy with the weathering, I feel I might have overdone it a bit.  In the photos it looks quite 'streaky' and a bit amateurish but in the flesh, not so bad I suppose.  I'm more used to weathering small diesels.  There is a driver in the cab but he can't be seen unless you get down and close.  Bunker is also yet to be filled with the black stuff and the front spectacle plates might get some glazing.  He seems to run nicely whatever.

Not named 'Bob' because I reckon with his size, he's male (and he's green).

I do have 'Queenie' in stock though and I think I know which one of the fleet will be so named.

I just haven't told him yet...............................

post-807-0-85474400-1483138232_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-72160700-1483138259_thumb.jpg

A set of builders plates will finally finish him once I get round to obtaining a pair.

• Like 4

Great to see it finished - I've been following your progress and it certainly helped me to finish mine. I can certainly recommend the Narrow Planet Builders' plates.

1843188487_DSC_0013(2).JPG.43d6b83ce6514e32e9e80c4385a60858.JPG

Edited by Barclay
Replace photo
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

'Barclay', that's lovely - as is what appears to be one of those Nasmyth Wilson 0-8-0 tanks in your avatar? - have you seen my Bagnall thread?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30496-preston-docks-bagnalls-impetus-kit-and-prototype/?hl=bagnall

Adam

Thanks Adam - Yes I read your thread as well. It's thanks to you I shortened the chimney, although you can still see the mark unfortunately!

Yes the Nasmyth Wilson was my previous project. I have vowed never to build a loco with outside valve gear again...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I have one of these kits to build and am wondering exactly which gearbox fits. I note the brass final drive gear but haven't seen one like that at all.

I think it is a Loadhauler Dave.  Tthe final drive gear MAY now be one of the 'hybrid' ones now, nylon with a brass centre?  Mine was a couple of years old.

• Thanks 2

I think I put a Road Runner + in mine (I prefer my steamers to accelerate fairly sharply) but any of those articulated gearboxes will work if you make the boiler it’s own sub assembly. Not that they’re available at this precise moment...

Adam

Edited by Adam

I believe mine has a Branchlines Multibox but as Adam says you have to modify the kit so the boiler/tank unit is detachable. The original kit recommendation, which pre-dates nice gearboxes of course, suggests a 9/16 motor mounted vertically in the firebox, and Romford gears. This would work but probably lacks power...

2 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I believe mine has a Branchlines Multibox but as Adam says you have to modify the kit so the boiler/tank unit is detachable. The original kit recommendation, which pre-dates nice gearboxes of course, suggests a 9/16 motor mounted vertically in the firebox, and Romford gears. This would work but probably lacks power...

That was what you did back about 1990. Slightly alarmingly, that’s 30 years ago. The kit (and the the design of the loco) does make this easy enough. 

Adam