Driving motor B 21087

M1 car 22088

MS car 24087

Individual cars

M2 car 23088

MS car 24088

M2 car 23087

M1 car 22087

Aldgate. This destination is appropriate for an S7 train as well as an S8 car train. If future S stock models are produced a different destination will be specified.

Thanks for that. Interesting this S8 set appears to have been one of the special LU150 vinal livery examples when it first entered traffic...

Edited by G-BOAF

bachmann%20trolley%20-%20tube-%20undersi

I'm wondering if they are using the same mech that they developed for the Peter Witt US trolley.

A quick low res scan of the underside of the latter shown next to the underside of an EFE 38 car for size comparison.  The low HO trolley floor was raised to seat cushion level to fit, but that could be much lower in the case of full size 4mm coaching stock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some of the S8 units had a car removed to operate as S7's. There will probably eventually be a choice of destinations/numbers for both S7's and S8's with the appropriate numbered additional cars.

Having seen the model at DEMU today, I have to say it looks the part, and the new low profile mechanism is simply stunning (not from above, side on or below could I see it!). The intervehicle coupling is apparently the same type as used on the blue pullman. Interior lights have not been fitted as this would apparently add £60 or so to the price. The end dummy coupling is believed to be a screw fitting rather than an NEM type, although we weren't too sure on this. The only thing that caught me as a little odd is the blanked off ends (as having been on an empty unit you can see from cab to cab) but at most angles I doubt this is noticeable, and probably looks better through any gap in the gangways.

Anyway thank you Bachmann and LTM for what appears to be a very impressive model!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will be ordering the 8 car set soon and though there is a big fan fare, I don't think they will sell out quickly (I hope not anyway).  The 4 car and individual ones might go a lot quicker.

All we need now is a set of rtr A, C and D stock, and you could set all in 2013.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Its just a shame that only one Bachmann Class 20 is been released any time soon which has pulled the London Underground S Stock in reality. ........

this leaves very little opportunity to be able to create a London Underground S Stock transfer movement which incorporates four Class 20s.

you could always use a GBRf 66 instead, they have moved the s-stock in the past, in fact i think there's special dispensation that allows them to run with just one loco and barrier at each end (im sure marcus37 can confirm or deny that)

DSCF4913.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

Happy days.  I've sat here patiently through years of announcements that meant nothing to me.  I'd written this latest announcement off as well, but you always check though... just in case.  Sorry wallet.

A model of Watford Junction would be interesting post croxley rail link completion.  S stock, voyagers, desiros, pendolinos, sleepers, a nice variety of freight, southern 377s (when they inevitably get announced), even Overground 378s wouldn't seem like a bad idea now.   

• RMweb Gold

Does look good , but all the same its niche product for a niche client and a niche market , but good on Bachmann if LT have funded it ,even if it is a touch pricey.and may have a better shelf life than the Heljan LT locos which could be white elephants for retailers.

I agree that is possible.All will depend upon the ultimate quality of the model.Thus far the signs are positive.Because it's "different",it may achieve "must have" status.Who would have considered that Bachmann's SECR Wainwright C would sell out and become the style icon that it quickly did ? Nothing is certain.

• Like 1

I have just placed my order for a full 8 car pack. I hope it copes with prototypical gradients as my layout is a figure of eight in a tight space.

Assuming I an amongst the first 300 to place a pre-order I should be due a ticket for the special train in September. As I live far from London I am wondering if it wuld be possible to give the ticket away to some worthy local without them collecting my model!

• Like 1

Fair play to the LT museum & Bachmann for having the cojones to make this happen & not just a base 4 car set but having the option to expand up to a full 8 car set. It's not really for me but I do sincerely hope it works out for both parties.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I have quoted your post but I am not picking on you I promise...

There are a lot of people bemoaning the 'niche' product and a few mentioning its lack of appeal. About a year ago another manufacturer announced an APT-e amidst much fanfare (including mine before anyone thinks I am knocking it) is that not another niche product? in fact its 191 times more niche than the S Stock... Wasn't a sticking point 12 months ago and I would hazard a guess more people have experience of an S Stock train in the last month than have ever seen the E train!

Rant aside I believe its a massive move forward in many respects, the low line drive is a peach and has many future applications. The fact that it has been researched and developed in secret and only has been announced once the stock is on the boat adds a new element of excitement to announcements in the future. Maybe its the beginning of the end for flag placing?

Finally the train itself, its fresh shiny and colourful. Glamourous in a humble way. Its cute and has a lot of appeal to a lot of people from rule 1 people right up to thise people running heir tippex over their plans last night to include one. Good on you LTM and Bachmann. Heres to a new way of getting the job done....

Couldn't agree more. This is a train which carries huge numbers of passengers on one of the worlds most important metro railways. They run over ground much of the time and there is scope for adding a stretch of LU track to run parallel to a regular track, or as I suspect most will do, just run it on your existing layout and enjoy it. The LU system maybe a niche but how much of that is a chicken and egg scenario that since most modellers want at least some degree of RTR and very little is available. Greater London is the UK's greatest population centre (by a large margin) and there are plenty of places where LU trains can be seen alongside Network Rail lines. On price, it is true this is significantly more expensive than the APT-E but I'm guessing part of that is because LT Museum are producing this as a regular release, yes it is exclusive to LT Museum but they have funded all costs, it will be delivered to their retail outlets and put on sale, not limited to pre-orders and deposits required up front etc. This is just my personal opinion but I'd rather accept the higher price and have the opportunity to buy in my own time after having seen the model.

• Like 1

........... Interior lights have not been fitted as this would apparently add £60 or so to the price. ...............

Ah !   LT Museum, harking back to the days when the customer PASSENGER was kept in the dark.

I remember that the 1938 stock was rather prone to losing their lights for a short time.

• RMweb Gold

I do sometimes often think that those who complain about a niche product are only jealous that the announcement does not provide them with some obscure, bizarre item of rolling stock for their own personal era/geographical preference. They would then surely be shouting from the rooftops. This isn't really niche, but anyway, niche is good. It adds yet another model to an eclectic range that we could only dream of a decade ago. Spoilt for choice? Oh yeah. With every announcement, there will always be a selection of "Wow - I'm delighted!" and "Nothing in it for me" reactions. Do I need one? No. Will I buy one? Maybe. Does it give me hope that other models more suited to my personal preference will be forthcoming? Absolutely.

So true.

Given the sheer breadth of prototypes that have existed since railways were invented, EVERYTHING is "niche" unless you are one of those people who gaily runs anything with anything without caring if they were ever to be seen together, or even whether they existed concurrently. 

This one doesn't remotely impinge on any of my personal niches but the fact that it fits into what I generally consider to be a small one gives me similar hope!

I won't be buying one but Bachmann and the LT Museum are to be congratulated for doing something unexpected and I hope they will be rewarded.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Having looked longing at the Ever Ready set in a shop window when I was a young and knowing that my parents would not be able to afford to buy it for me. I shall be buying this even though I run Great Western . I will make a special little layout to run on its own Thanks Bachmann

• Like 2

When talking of niche markets the APT-E does still exist all be it as a museum piece but its still seen by many people everyday and as the S stock is still relatively new these have many years service and many thousands of people will see them there must be a reasonable market for them. The real niche markets must be the long lost diesel and electric prototypes which only lasted a few years and where only seen by a limited number of people yet several have now appeared in mainstream manufacturers catalogues as a standard release, so why shouldn't we see more tube stock next or even some DLR driverless units.

NICE MOVE Bachmann LETS SEE MORE PLEASE.

• Like 1

A model of Watford Junction would be interesting post croxley rail link completion.  S stock, voyagers, desiros, pendolinos, sleepers, a nice variety of freight, southern 377s (when they inevitably get announced), even Overground 378s wouldn't seem like a bad idea now.   

I have a dream!

RP

• Like 3

So then, how do we know if we're one of the lucky first 250 or 300? Pre-ordered but it doesn't say anything in the email. Really pleased with the S-stock announcement as it's finally given me and my dad the excuse to build an underground circuit underneath the layout

• Like 1

So then, how do we know if we're one of the lucky first 250 or 300? Pre-ordered but it doesn't say anything in the email. Really pleased with the S-stock announcement as it's finally given me and my dad the excuse to build an underground circuit underneath the layout

You'll be contacted in due course if you're one of the lucky ones!