Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

The confusion exists for catalogue number 36-557 21-pin type:  the Soundtraxx one has a green decoder PCB and comes in a white cardboard box, while the newer and better ESU one has a blue  base and comes in a 'bubble pack'.

Bachmann used a Zimo decoder as the basis for the latest 6-pin decoder 36-568. I'm not sure what Bachmann are using for their latest 8-pin decoders, but earlier ones were the ESU Basic, which was OK but not brilliant (in my opinion). There may be something newer and better, but I am honestly not up to date on that - I tend to use the Lenz Standard+ at a few pounds more in cost.

I like both Zimo and ESU decoders, although the Zimo budget 8- and 21-pin models represent very good value themselves (MX600 and MX638, for 8- and 21-pins respectively - both types around £20 each). Another good budget decoder for 8-pin models is the Lenz Standard+ v.2. Lenz 21-pin decoders are a bit dearer because they only offer their Silver or Gold ratings, but are also worth a look.

I found some time back that buying the cheap decoders can be a false economy, and use them only in models that get very little running, or as function-only decoders for lighting in (for example) DMU trailers and the like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:03, Dan Hamblin said:

The 20's and their barrier TEA tank wagons are still quite regular sights at Ruislip Depot.  I captured them minus S Stock in September 2012:

gallery_101_1319_26733.jpg

If you're modelling more recent transfer moves then the new signalling system radio antennas will need to be added on either side of the destination box.

Regards,

Dan

And, most recently, the moves have been a pair of 20s at one end, and a 66 at the other.

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2019 at 22:03, Dan Hamblin said:

The 20's and their barrier TEA tank wagons are still quite regular sights at Ruislip Depot.  I captured them minus S Stock in September 2012:

gallery_101_1319_26733.jpg

If you're modelling more recent transfer moves then the new signalling system radio antennas will need to be added on either side of the destination box.

Regards,

Dan

Brilliant photo. Have to say I really like the orange on the HNRC 20/3s. Can't wait for the Bachmann models to arrive. 

On 07/04/2019 at 01:23, SRman said:

The confusion exists for catalogue number 36-557 21-pin type:  the Soundtraxx one has a green decoder PCB and comes in a white cardboard box, while the newer and better ESU one has a blue  base and comes in a 'bubble pack'.

Bachmann used a Zimo decoder as the basis for the latest 6-pin decoder 36-568. I'm not sure what Bachmann are using for their latest 8-pin decoders, but earlier ones were the ESU Basic, which was OK but not brilliant (in my opinion). There may be something newer and better, but I am honestly not up to date on that - I tend to use the Lenz Standard+ at a few pounds more in cost.

I like both Zimo and ESU decoders, although the Zimo budget 8- and 21-pin models represent very good value themselves (MX600 and MX638, for 8- and 21-pins respectively - both types around £20 each). Another good budget decoder for 8-pin models is the Lenz Standard+ v.2. Lenz 21-pin decoders are a bit dearer because they only offer their Silver or Gold ratings, but are also worth a look.

I found some time back that buying the cheap decoders can be a false economy, and use them only in models that get very little running, or as function-only decoders for lighting in (for example) DMU trailers and the like.

Thank you for the reply and for clarifying the various offerings, as Bachmann do not explain the differences and use the same catalogue number for different decoders. I will definitely look into the ESU and Zimo decoders for the 20s and S Stock as like you say because I will be running different classes of models together then I really do need the higher quality decoders for functions, consisting etc. Especially if as Roy mentions below I decide to operate x2 20s + S Stock + 66 as a formation. So I may decide to use ESU or Zimo decoders for my Bachmann 66s in case I decide to swop the formations as per reality. 

10 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

And, most recently, the moves have been a pair of 20s at one end, and a 66 at the other.

Roy

Thank you for letting me know Roy. Really pleased to see GBRf 66s now been used with the 20s and S Stock because it means that us modellers can operate such workings/formations with a more wider variety of stock. Especially for those who say maybe missed the LTM 20s and instead have the LTM 66s or some other Hornby, Bachmann and soon to be Hattons GBRf 66s. The variety is very nice. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Can't help but think LTM might be wise to reissue their 66s

I was very lucky because I managed to pick up both 20s and both 66s at a later stage for really good prices from different retailers after LTM had sold out. 

So glad that I did because the liveries on them are superb, especially the intricate liveries on the 66s.

I reckon that their would definitely be demand for another run of 66718 and 66721. As for whether that is possible or not I don't know.   

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Legomanbiffo is launching the 'All Singing' Multi Function, Interactive project for the S Stock at the NEC in Birmingham in November.

This all new version includes upto 20 CV Changeable Destination & Passenger Announcements.

See:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=327

• Like 4

On 08/11/2019 at 00:55, charliepetty said:

Legomanbiffo is launching the 'All Singing' Multi Function, Interactive project for the S Stock at the NEC in Birmingham in November.

This all new version includes upto 20 CV Changeable Destination & Passenger Announcements.

See:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=327

really looking forward to this. The couple times biff has demo’d it for me this year at shows it was absolutely brilliant.

do you know what the price is going to be for a package with a single v5 & a matched lokpilot rather than a pair of V5’s? 

as i have two sets to sound fit but cant justify £500 on decoders!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

£118.50 Including a Sugarcube Speaker.   The link tells you this.   Charlie

Currently there is no LokPilot 5 as for matching them that is somewhat diffilcult as the non sound decoder dos'nt know when its leaving.

Charlie

hi, im aware of the price in the link, 

biff mentioned on here that there will be an option for a single V5 and a matched Lokpilot, so i assume it must be doable, hence the question on price for this combo.

i get what you are saying though, if there is a delay in the soundfile before movement takes place the lokpilot would already be on the move in theory ect.

• Like 1

After a bit of digging, this is from a forum in the USA, someone had this useful information on setting the delay on a LokPilot:

"To make units with the two different decoders" [LokSound and LokPilot] to "mu smoothly the non sound LokPilot decoder has Virtual Sound as a function on CV128. This tells the non sound unit to perform as if it was a sound decoder with sound enabled.

So you must map CV128 to a function key of your choice and set a value between 0-225."

He went on to say you need to set an arbitrary value initially, then adjust it until you get the result you need to match the LokSound decoder.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Anyone done anything to increase the grip or drive of theirs?

I took off the traction tyres to help with power connectivity but it's a little... not that great.

Not increasing the grip but reducing the drag. I removed the pickups from the trailers. No surgery required and reversible. It helped a bit. If you decide to install Train-Tech lighting in the trailers you don’t need them anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

i see on a well known auction site that these Bachmann S stock units are fetching eye watering prices.

There was a recent article in the trade press about adding sound, but why are these now fetching a four figure sum?

Discuss......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

i see on a well known auction site that these Bachmann S stock units are fetching eye watering prices.

There was a recent article in the trade press about adding sound, but why are these now fetching a four figure sum?

Discuss......

There has been some discussion of this on the eBay madness thread. It looked like shill bidding to me, but this is only my guess.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5197-ebay-madness/&do=findComment&comment=4054584

- Richard.

• Like 1

Maybe now that they're very difficult to get hold of, instead of just "out of stock but still able to find one within a couple of weeks" then people see the value in having one.

Glad I bought mine.

Shame I couldn't afford more coaches, especially now they're around £100 a pop.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I read about on FB that these are still available at the LTM shop, but are only available on request from the counter.   No way of knowing whether this is true or not, though the poster said this was how he bought one

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

I read about on FB that these are still available at the LTM shop, but are only available on request from the counter.   No way of knowing whether this is true or not, though the poster said this was how he bought one

The LTM shop (along with the rest of the museum) has been closed since March.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Just received an email back from the LTM regarding this and there response was "

Thank you very much for your e-mail, unfortunately this was a limited edition item and we have now sold out of all stock across both the shop in Covent Garden and online. " So seems they have no stock left anywhere, even under the counters ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 9 months later...

I was very surprised that Rapido have taken stock of the demand for their APT and are going to do a second run.

I would also like to see Bachmann and the LTM do the same and take another look at a further run of the S Stock model. 

Despite what appeared to be high prices at the time - they have proved to be very popular - selling out.

The Museum is likely to have many new visitors in the next 5 to 50 years and they will be interested in buying this model 

The prices on eBay at this time are crazy and scary 

• Agree 2

They may have sold out now but I had an email last week from the LTM offering a limited number of Bachmann-refurbished S stock 4 car sets at £650 each with trailers at £100 each - presumably these were 'repaired returns'. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, letterspider said:

The Museum is likely to have many new visitors in the next 5 to 50 years and they will be interested in buying this model

They'd have to make a very good business case for funding to have stock available for someone who wants one in 45 years time.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping not to be reminded of the excitement I had seeing they were back in stock followed by the crushing disappointment at the price! Another run of these at a more reasonable price would be very appreciated! 

• Like 2