Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

I remember when the S Stock Model was first announced. I was one of the first 100 people to pre-order one from the LTM Shop website and a special outing was organized for those first 100 orders.

I paid £440 back then for a full 8 car set. £280 for the 4 car pack and £40 for each additional carriage that came with it.

I regret not buying more additional cars back then so that I could create a S7 and S8.

As someone mentioned earlier on, these carriages are going for silly money on eBay.

Whilst it might seem like there isn't an obvious case for a re-run. The demand will always be there. LU is highly sought after by collectors and modellers alike.

Iirc. One auction saw an S Stock sell for £6000.

Surely there would be a credible argument for a re-run for an S7 variant that covers the Circle/District/H&C and to have them in various wraps/liveries like they did a few years back.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2021 at 15:07, letterspider said:

Well - I was thinking of the lifetime of the S Stock

not the customers!

In several instances of my collection, the lifetime of my stock, lifetime of the prototype and lifetime of me are often confused, overlapping or very similar.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Blake said:

I remember when the S Stock Model was first announced. I was one of the first 100 people to pre-order one from the LTM Shop website and a special outing was organized for those first 100 orders.

I paid £440 back then for a full 8 car set. £280 for the 4 car pack and £40 for each additional carriage that came with it.

I regret not buying more additional cars back then so that I could create a S7 and S8.

As someone mentioned earlier on, these carriages are going for silly money on eBay.

Whilst it might seem like there isn't an obvious case for a re-run. The demand will always be there. LU is highly sought after by collectors and modellers alike.

Surely there would be a credible argument for a re-run for an S7 variant that covers the Circle/District/H&C and to have them in various wraps/liveries like they did a few years back.

I remember that outing and it was great fun. The train looked as if half the people entitled to go on it didn’t turn up. I had a great natter with a Bachmann rep who had turned up early.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2021 at 11:21, Patrick Blake said:

That wasn't a proven sale though and when I contacted the seller, they did not respond.

I highly bet the same £6000, it didn't sell for £6000.

The going rate seems to be around £600-£1000.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the LTM open day recently, surprised their shop and got chatting with staff. I think they appreciated the break from screaming children. (odd as you'd thought such an open day would be full of enthusiasts). Anyway... I did ask about the S-Stock and seems certainly they are not totally closed to the idea of a future release... so some hope for those of us who have the first release (refused to buy the re-stickered re-issue) and want to have a fleet of these things. Certainly for me, lesson learnt...buy a few as clearly not as popular as I had assumed. I cannot be the only one with buyers regret! 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'll dig up this old thread as I've just acquired one of these (2022 edition) and I must say it's a very nice-looking piece of kit. Should turn a few heads at my club's next show considering we're in France :D Other than adding digital sound at £240 (😭) and sorting out the light bleed behind the cabs, are there any other areas for improvement on these models? I'd love to do something with the gangways to reduce or close off those gaps, but presumably their width is the reason Bachmann couldn't get them any closer. Has anyone attempted anything with this? Perhaps just darkening them would reduce the visual impact? Looking forward to running the set anyway, all I need now is for Bachmann to produce some New York MTA stock...

Alan

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jivebunny said:

I'll dig up this old thread as I've just acquired one of these (2022 edition) and I must say it's a very nice-looking piece of kit. Should turn a few heads at my club's next show considering we're in France :D Other than adding digital sound at £240 (😭) and sorting out the light bleed behind the cabs, are there any other areas for improvement on these models? I'd love to do something with the gangways to reduce or close off those gaps, but presumably their width is the reason Bachmann couldn't get them any closer. Has anyone attempted anything with this? Perhaps just darkening them would reduce the visual impact? Looking forward to running the set anyway, all I need now is for Bachmann to produce some New York MTA stock...

Alan

MTH Trains made MTA sets.

https://www.trains.com/mrr/news-reviews/reviews/staff-reviews/mth-ho-scale-new-york-city-subway-cars/

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the pointers re: MTA stock. I'd seen the MTH offerings but not the Proto stuff, although I'd be interested in more modern kit such as the R46 and R62. I did see a limited run of R46 cars at a model shop called Red Caboose in New York but the less-than-delightful owner wanted $1200 per (unmotorised) car, which would explain why they were covered in a thick coat of dust... Anyway, veering massively off-topic here.

Picked up a pair of ESU LokPilot decoders from my local supplier yesterday so my S8 (S4?) is now happily and smoothly running around my test track. Suppose I'll have to order some of those nice light kits next! Speaking of lighting, does anyone know the London Underground regs around light setups when shunting or parking up stock for the night? Such as markers both ends, tail lights both ends, etc.

Cheers,

Alan 

• Like 1