Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

Just an idea about lack of power in these.  Since most people don't actually model the LU, I can see some (even most) people having to prototypically haul them with a loco and barrier wagon.  In other cases, though people will have weakly-powered 8 car trains with grades and curves to get around.

Is it worth splitting and combining sets (via ebay) to allow some people double-motored versions and others no-motored versions?

And talking of barrier wagons, and loco haulage, what did they use for the prototypes when they were being delivereed?

• RMweb Gold

Oh I see.  How about swapping non-powered bogies for extra powered bogies in the middle of an 8 car set?

The motor bogies are not self contained, the motor & flywheel are mounted in the chassis. It would make any conversion quite a job. 

One of the photos in Andy's review shows it nicely if you scroll down

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101449-london-transport-museum-s-stock-review/&do=findComment&comment=1964463

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what colour LED is best for the lighting in these? The bright white as sold by train tech doesn't look right to me... Most of the photos I find of S stock look to have very yellow lighting? But some photos look like it's bright white... Should I go with Bright White, Warm White or Yellow? 

Does anyone know what colour LED is best for the lighting in these? The bright white as sold by train tech doesn't look right to me... Most of the photos I find of S stock look to have very yellow lighting? But some photos look like it's bright white... Should I go with Bright White, Warm White or Yellow? 

i would go with warm white as it appears more yellow in pictures due to the cream coloured interior

I have been fitting cool white to my 6-car set (one car left to do, still), although I experimented with a different lighting strip in the third one I did, which has a slightly warmer colour. It doesn't really show in the photos, though. All of the ones I have done are too bright at the moment, so I will be experimenting further with extra resistors in the feeds.

Mine are wired directly to the bogie pickups, so remain permanently on on DCC.

S%20Stock%20Light%20Fitting%20-%203rd%20

S%20Stock%20Lights%20-%204th%20Car%20-%2

• Like 10

I had a bit of a session with the soldering iron again today, adding a 470 Ohm resistor to each of the S Stock cars in turn, plus wiring the final driving motor car for the lights.

The first photo shows two of the cars (nos 3 and 4 in the train) for comparison of the before and after; the one on the right has the extra resistor in the line.

The other two photos show the entire 6-car train with "tamed" lighting fitted. I am much happier with the result now.

S%20Stock%20Lights%20-%20Dimmed%20Compar

S%20Stock%20Lights%20-%206%20Car%20Train

This last photo in the dark shows that there is still a bit of light show-through in the car bodies, so a coat of paint along the insides may be in order for the future.

I suppose the next job will be to paint the seats, now that the interiors can be seen so clearly, and perhaps tidy up one or two stray wires.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The LU Museum webshop only has individual coaches left

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/s-stock#show=3 

and still has its 20% off sale (code GLOVESOFF20 )

Is there any evidence that an individual S stock coach has been dragged on the mainline network, or is likely to in due course as they get older?

My thought is there may be a consist of loco + 1 or more separate S stock coaches (as against a whole unit) much like we see with Mk3's etc, and thus purchasing a single S stock coach now at the discounted price before they go?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The LU Museum webshop only has individual coaches left

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/s-stock#show=3 

and still has its 20% off sale (code GLOVESOFF20 )

Is there any evidence that an individual S stock coach has been dragged on the mainline network, or is likely to in due course as they get older?

My thought is there may be a consist of loco + 1 or more separate S stock coaches (as against a whole unit) much like we see with Mk3's etc, and thus purchasing a single S stock coach now at the discounted price before they go?

AFAIK only complete units to/from Derby

The units are not really designed to be split, even in the depot they are lifted as an entire train. Inner coupling is, I believe, some sort of fixed bar. So if they do ever travel over the national network again, I would be very surprised if they were anything other than complete trains. Certainly if they were splitting them to remove the Driving Motor cars, they would be likely splitting the complete train to go by road. So sorry, the idea of loco+barrier+S-stock trailer/NDM+barrier is a very unlikely one.

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK only complete units to/from Derby

The units are not really designed to be split, even in the depot they are lifted as an entire train. Inner coupling is, I believe, some sort of fixed bar. So if they do ever travel over the national network again, I would be very surprised if they were anything other than complete trains. Certainly if they were splitting them to remove the Driving Motor cars, they would be likely splitting the complete train to go by road. So sorry, the idea of loco+barrier+S-stock trailer/NDM+barrier is a very unlikely one.

Oh well, thought it was a nice short consist to model!

Thanks to both :)

• Like 1

Anyone still looking for a complete unit could try one of the lt Museum 'popup shops' (google them) and see if they still have stock...

Either way, after all that investment, I can well imagine another batch being produced at some stage...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The London Transport Museum has just released two further S-Stock 4 car sets with different running numbers. Retail price is £339.99 but if you sign up for the newsletter you get 10% off. 

Perfect timing for the reported significant increases in high spending tourists heading to our shores this summer. 

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/trams-trains/Bachmann-s-stock-2017-4-car-set-35-990a

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/trams-trains/motorised-Bachmann-s-stock-2017-4-car-set-35-990b

Edited by 159220

The London Transport Museum has just released two further S-Stock 4 car sets with different running numbers. Retail price is £339.99 but if you sign up for the newsletter you get 10% off. 

Perfect timing for the reported significant increases in high spending tourists heading to our shores this summer. 

I had it confirmed from the LTM there are just standard releases, there are not as yet any special/limited edition liveries like the poppy or LU 150. Announcement shall be made tomorrow, yet I see they are already available online to order:

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/trams-trains/Bachmann-s-stock-2017-4-car-set-35-990a

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/trams-trains/motorised-Bachmann-s-stock-2017-4-car-set-35-990b

That’s a bit odd: two four-car sets with different running numbers and no intermediate trailers, Perhaps LT found on the first release that not enough intermediate cars were sold. It makes a very attractive train and I am delighted to have one but one will be enough. All the same, I think a few undesirable compromises were made. The gangways could be a lot better and the adhesion of the full-length train is limited without the traction-tyred (yuk) wheelset provided in the bag. Coach lighting is after-market too.

• RMweb Premium

I had it confirmed from the LTM there are just standard releases, there are not as yet any special/limited edition liveries like the poppy or LU 150. Announcement shall be made tomorrow, yet I see they are already available online to order:

Thank you posting this and for making me aware of the latest releases.

However at £340 for a four car set I can't afford either of these sets at the moment. The 10% off would be good but that would still be around £306. Unless LTM offered 20% off which I don't think they do anyway, I don't think I will be buying either of them. The one set that I have now is enough for the moment unless either of these two sets decrease in price significantly when on offer, or if they prices are reduced at a later stage.

Very nice models though :no: 

• Like 1

The LTM is a charity and thus I would hope they can capitalise on the maximum return of the S-Stock to raise funds for this truly remarkable and extensive collection of the London Underground. I find 10% very generous for a charity.