Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

Any discussions regarding price increases relative to increased production costs are largely irrelevant I'm afraid as I believe these models are what is known as 'Code 3' models where the originals have been re-finished (to a high standard) by a third party and any increased price reflects the cost of that re-working.

Therefore any price discussions are not related to any increased costs for a new product from Bachmann.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new "A" and "B" sets were being sold at Warley by the LT Museum at a 20% discount. The 20% discount was also available, via a discount code, for online purchases at the LT Museum website right up to Christmas Eve.

This morning, 3rd Jan '18, the LT Museum web site is showing both 4 car sets marked down to £305.99, but the extra cars are at their full list of £44.99. Three of the original release additional cars are also shown at £39.99. The 4th original additional M2 car 35-995 (23087) is not shown, sold out perhaps?

Edited by GoingUnderground

Any discussions regarding price increases relative to increased production costs are largely irrelevant I'm afraid as I believe these models are what is known as 'Code 3' models where the originals have been re-finished (to a high standard) by a third party and any increased price reflects the cost of that re-working.

Therefore any price discussions are not related to any increased costs for a new product from Bachmann.

Having all 3 issues, the "refinishing" on the A and B sets appears to be no more than renumbering, using transfers, plus a new label on the boxes. Otherwise they are identical in every respect to the original 2016 releases. With both the A and B sets being sold at Warley with a 20% discount, and the 4 car sets on sale at 10% below list, it looks to me like the new releases are a renumbering of existing stocks to promote sales as opposed to new production.

Also, all the S Stock production has been a retailer commission, the retailer being the LT Museum itself, and have only been available from the LT Museum, The printing on the boxes says "produced exclusively for the London Transport Museum", followed by the museum website address. I don't have many other retailer commission models, but those that I do have a self adhesive label applied to standard packaging as opposed to preprinted boxes. As an exclusive retailer commission, pricing will be decided by the LT Museum, not Bachmann. 

Edited by GoingUnderground

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just had a quick check on the LTM website. 

The two four car sets of the reissued versions from last year are now £271 per set as opposed to £340. 

All of the intermediate cars are now £36 each as opposed to £45 each. 

I'm presuming that this sale is only on for the bank holiday weekend so it may end tomorrow. 

There are also further discounts on other products on the Bachmann page. 

Hope this is of use to someone. 

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Bachmann#show=15

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It seems to be permanently discounted looking at the previous 3 posts to this thread quoting the same price since January!

Still really want one but can’t justify it while I’m doing my garage conversion as it’s about the same price as the wood i need to baton up!!

• RMweb Premium

A great shame that it appears these haven't been a particularly hot seller as it would have been nice to see more LU models. If LTM are struggling to move these it'll make it harder to get sign off for more projects to model underground trains.

• RMweb Gold

A great shame that it appears these haven't been a particularly hot seller as it would have been nice to see more LU models. If LTM are struggling to move these it'll make it harder to get sign off for more projects to model underground trains.

If they are struggling to shift these models, I can't help wondering if there might be another reason for this. Even when "discounted", these prices are still not exactly cheap.

Despite what certain politicians might wish us to believe, a lot of people are in precarious / low paying employment, or can't find paid work at all - so I wonder how many people can actually afford to pay these prices, for one model, leave alone a whole "fleet".

As it is, a number of people spend much more time in the secondhand areas at model shops (and shows) than they are likely to looking at all that shiny, new, boxed, stuff.

(Please note that I've studiously avoided commenting on the policies of any political parties - I don't want to get my daily dose of politics from a forum site - I doubt if I am alone in this regard.)

Huw.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If they are struggling to shift these models, I can't help wondering if there might be another reason for this. Even when "discounted", these prices are still not exactly cheap.

Despite what certain politicians might wish us to believe, a lot of people are in precarious / low paying employment, or can't find paid work at all - so I wonder how many people can actually afford to pay these prices, for one model, leave alone a whole "fleet".

As it is, a number of people spend much more time in the secondhand areas at model shops (and shows) than they are likely to looking at all that shiny, new, boxed, stuff.

(Please note that I've studiously avoided commenting on the policies of any political parties - I don't want to get my daily dose of politics from a forum site - I doubt if I am alone in this regard.)

Huw.

These weren't cheap but they broke new ground in providing a high quality and detailed model of an underground train. For those interested in the underground this was as far as I know the first model of its kind as previously they were limited to kits and motoring things like the EFE die-cast models. Doing it with kits would almost certainly cost more and the end result would not be as good for most of us. So in that context I thought the price was OK really. My advice on prices is to buy less and to be selective.

The S Stock was not cheap (and personally never great value for money), but it has opened up many opportunities for modern image London Underground modelling. Now we also have Heljan's Sarah Siddons and other Met Bo-Bo Electric Locomotives to add to the collection.

On a separate note, Dapol have unveiled their new Ballast Turbot wagon, a few of which are still in use by LUL today and I am tempted to convert a few. It would be nice to see Heljan produce a LU Battery Locomotive to go with this. They would be far more popular at they can be produced in varying liveries to reflect different eras.

As for the S Stock, well who knows how many LTM have left in stock. If they are still struggling to sell, another price reduction might be on the cards. Though you have to remember, the price for the 4 car set was originally £280 with additional cars costing £40 each before they were sent back for renumbering, so the current offer doesn't really reflect a massive price reduction. I currently own two sets but would ideally like 4. However I've currently resisted the temptation to buy them while they've been on offer since January as I believe they could be priced down further. Saying that, LTM are holding a 3rd open day at Acton this year so this does have the potential of increasing shop sales.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just out of curiosity, how many of us are content to run the models as a 4-car unit, because a full S Stock formation is too long for their layouts?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The model is superb. My only criticism is the coach ends but given the nature of a walk through train and necessity to negotiate tight curves I'm really not sure what Bachmann could do to improve that aspect.

• Like 2

At the Acton Depot Open Day last month there was a pile of returned/faulty S car 4-car sets being sold 'as-is' (non-returnable) for £170. Still a fair wack but a big saving. I sorted through the pile, fortunately some of the models were labelled with the 'faults' which were as mundane as bogie too loose/bogie too tight in some cases (!). In the end I was able to select a set which was fine after minor adjustments with the exception of one collector shoe missing and one centering spring missing from a coupling. Bachmann were able to supply spares for £16 (actually an entire replacement bogie and a coupling assembly) so I'm please I took the punt.

I reckon given access to the whole pile and a few hours I could have made up a fair few perfect sets - the LTM don't seem equipped or willing to do this, so there's clearly an opportunity... 

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

You have sound for it?! Where did you get that from? Been after a sound chip for mine for ages without any luck.

Train tech produce a module for it.  Keep in mind, its very basic - just the doors opening and closing.