1200 "Falcon" South Wales workings

TravisM

"Falcon" fell in with the South Wales freight reorganization of the very late 1960s, in that ADJ became focused on the distribution of stock and traffic to local steel industry customers, whereas East Usk dealt solely with empty minerals returning to South Wales. Several important steel customers were alongside the Uskmouth branch, namely Stewart's & Lloyds, Lysaghts, British Aluminium and also Monsanto Chemicals, all of which were served by "Falcon" and 9E61 from ADJ.

Unfortunately, like much of South Wales the Uskmouth branch was unknown to or ignored by enthusiasts or photographers.

Much coal for Uskmouth Power Station came from Daw Mill with reversal at East Usk Yard but some of these workings ceased in 1971 with coal still coming from Welsh pits, worked through to the power station.

Edited by br2975

Would I be right in thinking that Daw Mill - East Usk- Uskmouth traffic was in 21 tonners Brian?

Cheers

Phil

I believe so Phil.

If I find a anything to the contrary I'll let you know

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

Looking onto the Uskmouth Branch at East Usk Junction, from a passing train, during the very early 1970s.

Heeley & Peart were the company whose foundry can be seen. They had their own siding when the branch was doubled in the 1950s

RCTS photo, from the Courtney Haydon collection

post-1599-0-95840900-1527539165.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We need a photo book on the lines and yards to the South of the line in the Newport area, the eastern valleys and main lines have been covered to a great extent, Uskmouth never as far as I know.

We've got one which is pretty good and covers - in so far as pics were available - most things from Dock Street round to the Western Valleys Line (but of course doesn't include Uskmouth as it's on the other side of the river).

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...