what radius curve do i need / can i use

juggy0_1

i'm building a track board which is 3ft deep by 5ft wide, my question is what is the maximum radius curve i can use within 3ft, i dont know what radius to use as 1st,2nd and 3rd radius mean nothing to me as i just need the maximum width possible ,

thanks 

If you want a complete oval for a continuous run, you might just get 2nd radius curves within 3ft but definitely not 3rd radius or greater.  If you want a double track, the inner circuit will have to be first radius curves, but you will struggle to find modern stock that will cope with first radius.  If you want an end-to-end layout, then you can use larger radius curves within the limits of your board.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium

R3 595 505 mm 23.3 19.80 in   :pardon: :sorry: :blush: :blush:

R2 438 mm 17.18 in

R1 371 mm 14.55 in

From a Hornby catalog.

Remember that these are to the track centre and you'll need another inch or so just to get onto the board. R2 will take just under 36" for a full turn.  You'll really want a bit extra on the outside.

Edited to correct typo on R3.

There is a standard difference of 67mm

• RMweb Premium

R3 595 mm 23.3 in

R2 438 mm 17.18 in

R1 371 mm 14.55 in

From a Hornby catalog.

Remember that these are to the track centre and you'll need another inch or so just to get onto the board. R2 will take just under 36" for a full turn.  You'll really want a bit extra on the outside.

Peco settrack - R1 & R2 as above, but R3 505 mm, 19.875 in, R4 571 mm 22.5 in.  Can't believe Hornby R3 is that different ?

Hornby's third radius (R609) is also 505 mm and fourth radius is quoted as 572 mm on their website.  I'm not sure where BR60103 got his information from.

To answer the original post, use of second radius curves will be the maximum that will fit within a three foot board and and that will be near enough with the sleepers touching the outside of the baseboard.  There is therefore a risk that any derailment will end up on the floor.

Three feet = 915 mm.  A second radius curve through 180 degrees will be 2 * 438 + 32 mm = 908 mm.

Archived