Railway Clearing House Maps

As these are now out of copyright, I thought I'd post some locations.

To my mind, these are still the most clear and artistically beautiful railway maps ever drawn.

Thought I'd start with Bristol in 1940 - Great Western in yellow, LMS red and other lines orange.

post-6880-0-24692400-1433081793.jpg

Might be useful when researching an area.

Another might-have-been from the 1906 map - The Padstow, Bedruthan & Mawgan.

post-6880-0-13448200-1433190462.jpg

A Light Railway Order had been obtained for this railway, but as David St John Thomas noted in Vol.1 of The Regional History of the Railways of GB, the success of pioneer buses saved, in the nick of time, the building of this line.

I'm trying to put some up that aren't in the Junction Diagrams book.

My scans, above, are from the original maps, not later reprints. Actually my 1906 maps are from a copy that was from the Director's Room, Midland Hotel, Derby.

My maternal grandad worked for the MR and LMS; presumably that's how he acquired the copy.

To my mind, these are still the most clear and artistically beautiful railway maps ever drawn.

Absolutely agree Peter. I have managed to acquire 20 or so original plates over the years and also have a copy of the Ian Allan reprint of the atlas of 1913/14. However, if you like cartography as much as railway history, I'd recommend also Jowett's Railway Atlas: a monumental hand-lettered and hand-drawn atlas of Great Britain and Ireland, showing every line that there ever was and most of those conceived but never built. This atlas is a true labour of love and is astonishingly detailed: a sort of 'Wainwright meets the RCH'. What's more, through Amazon, Abebooks et al, copies can still be obtained quite reasonably [under £25-30]. Of course, you can pay £135 if you want !

A typical link in case any is interested: http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=CYWygXo1tVZGKLqOwjAanuYLQBJm3gOAFkbrShqsBqOC7jkQIBhABKAdgu87Pg-AKoAHjkbzuA8gBB6kCNskjgQx5uT6qBCdP0P8FQD1O503nsn6aa-6xMmsR_0HNBAgap5dbTBmOhz24eguZ0xbABQWgBiaAB4XuwxGIBwGQBwKoB6a-G6gHk8IbqAeUwhvYBwHgEpDQor3ql7Hp2gE&sig=AOD64_0tVLqpQgRNwI1k-rLR0zjcLX5kQw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CHMQ9A4&adurl=http://ad-emea.doubleclick.net/clk%3B273562022%3B102148707%3Bu%3Bu%3Dms%26sv1%3DRVQ4MHyg_dc%26sv2%3D45889648457%26sv3%3Dcnhhdi0gy0%3B%3Fhttps://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/product/HD_100451406%3Fpscid%3Dps_ggl_Shopping

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Both the Jowett books are excellent although I have heard it said that the original might have one or two errors (there are certainly some omissions of junction names in it) but wholly recommended for all that.

My RCH diagrams are the 1928 edition, in the original binder complete with the Index, Running Powers and Working Arrangements tables, plus the 1939 amendments.  The Running Powers information is fascinating especially the routes companies used to meet their depots (mainly for coal) isolated in someone else's territory.

Okehampton was an busy stop on the North Devon line of the LSWR, but had things turned out differently (and some would say more sensibly), it would've been an even more important one.

The 1906 RCH map shows that Okehampton, rather than Halwill Junction in the middle of nowhere, was the original intended goal for the line from Torrington via Hatherleigh.

post-6880-0-66736300-1433880470.jpg

Another might-have-been from the 1906 map - The Padstow, Bedruthan & Mawgan.

attachicon.gifPadstow-lr.jpg

A Light Railway Order had been obtained for this railway, but as David St John Thomas noted in Vol.1 of The Regional History of the Railways of GB, the success of pioneer buses saved, in the nick of time, the building of this line.

Interesting stuff.

There's an out of focus PDF scan of the LRO here:

https://www.trevithick-society.org.uk/wp-content/import/753204.pdf

Cheers

Jan

• RMweb Gold

Stalybridge is Joint G.C. and L.N.W.R!

(I was aware of the LYR and LNWR bits. I was even the Signal Box frame being from the GSWR - until recently that is.)

I never really thought of the GC part!

Kev.

Archived