The Model Shop, EXETER

peterw

Thought it was time to comment on and give credit to the excellent service that our local model shops provide us with. On Friday I rang up The Model Shop in Exeter and asked them to put back two sets of points for me. I requested to pick them up at the Model Show in Exeter on the Saturday morning where the shop had a trade stand.

At the model show the items were swiftly located with pleasant efficient service BUT then I was asked if I was a member of a local model club and hence eligible for a discount. I am a local club member and so showed my membership card and received a discount. While I am grateful for the discount I received it is not the reason I am moved to write this post more the fact that I was asked, because not all people want to or have the confidence to ask for discounts for themselves. WELL DONE, THE MODEL SHOP EXETER for supporting the hobby and providing exceptional service.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hardly ever get to Exeter, and even then it's only on business.  But seeing Dave's shop whilst walking past one time I called in.  Good range of stock, very pleasant service and he made time for some 'modellers chat' which is always nice.  On subsequent visits to Exeter I tried to make sure that I caught the earlier train so I'd have time to call in. 

• Like 2

In total agreement with the above posts. Dave is a very helpful guy who will try to answers any questions you may have, if he doesn't have an answer he usually knows someone who does due to his knowledge of the trade and other modellers.

Oh! And if you like your rock music just mention that to him, and give yourself another hour or so in his delightful shop !

Top bloke !

Edited by bgman

• 9 months later...

I was in there today, first visit in over a year, really impressed. Although small it's packed with goodies and well laid out. I purchased some o gauge goodies, and without prompting the proprietor said you must be in the o gauge guild, I am - and he gave me a discount saving a pound - that's really decent service and I've highlighted to 3 friends already what a cracking shop it is, and to get spending. Many thanks and I'll be back in soon.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
Called in here for the first time a few days ago and spent a very enjoyable hour browsing through the good variety of stock items and chatting about supply chain logistics issues.

Came away with a bag full of varied items at fairly reasonable prices - was less than a 10 minute stroll from the city centre and well worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

I spotted a few (s/h?) Bachmann MK1 IC (raspberry ripple) BSKs for <£20 if anyone's on the lookout for some!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know how Dave is getting on in the current horrible situation? I'm sure none of us want The Model Shop to go under.

I tried to send a supportive message on his web page but the email system seems to be broken.

@Dave: I know you don't like RMWeb much :wink_mini: but this would be a great way to keep your customers up to date and maybe we can help, if you need it.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see from his advert in the latest Hornby magazine, he is having a closing down sale. 

Such a shame, as the model shop has been a fixture of the model scene in Exeter for decades. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This is sad to read, I've been using the shop as much as possible in the last few years when our son was in stage school Saturday mornings. Always felt welcomed but also had a feeling that custom was a bit low to keep viable. I suppose the shutdown just pushed things over the edge. I'll have to try & pop in for one last look around.... :(

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've looked at the website and it hasn't changed since the start of lockdown and states it still closed. I emailed Dave,  when I saw the news on here and so far I haven't received a reply,  normally he's fairly prompt in getting back.

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

This is sad to read, I've been using the shop as much as possible in the last few years when our son was in stage school Saturday mornings. Always felt welcomed but also had a feeling that custom was a bit low to keep viable. I suppose the shutdown just pushed things over the edge. I'll have to try & pop in for one last look around.... :(

Rich, 

if you do get over, please give Dave best wishes from many of us here who have made purchases in his shop.  When I had meetings in Exeter I always caught the earlier train so I could call in at the shop.  I only met him in his shop several times but he always had time for a chat and he always seemed a very friendly and instantly likeable guy. 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
On 06/07/2020 at 13:48, JohnR said:

having a closing down sale

A shame to hear, hope Dave's OK as he's a lovely guy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

53 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That, in a nutshell, is one of the reasons he's closing!

Mike.

You’d think they’d be enough trade in a large city like that . I lived 200 miles away but was dropping off an aircraft at the engineering hangar there

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2