The Model Shop, EXETER

peterw

• RMweb Gold

Its always been one of the hidden gems in Exeter, but its difficult for such a niche shop to be in a more visible location, especially in a place like Exeter where rents are higher than normal. 

• RMweb Gold

Managed to drop in yesterday and Dave was on good form; as others above have said its a great shop and hopefully someone may take it over. I have always enjoyed chatting to him and making purchases.  Certainly Exeter needs a model shop and although it's away from the main shopping centre it is easy to get to. He said he is closing at the end of the month and has 20% off on all his stock, and he is well stocked! Dave is retiring and I wish him a long and very happy one. Hopefully he will be dropping into the Taunton event next April and we can all buy him a pasty or two. 

all the best

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Such a shame.
I bought my first models with my saved up pocket money in the shop in City Arcade which was at the time run by the rather fierce Pete “Don’t you dare rest that bike on my window” Lindsay who I’m sure many people on here remember...
Over the years I got to know him well and he softened somewhat...

When Dave took the business over (in 2001 I think?) he changed it a lot but still managed to keep a bit of the old Aladdins Cave feel about the place.
The last few years have definitely been a bit of a struggle for him with one thing and another, but despite it all Dave’s always been helpful and encouraging of any projects I’ve been doing. I do consider him a friend and I’m sure that we all wish him only good luck for the future.

God this sounds a bit like an obituary. It’s not, but to be honest I am extremely gutted that he’s closing down.

Nick

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It will be a big blow to modellers in Devon,  I think he must be the last shop that caters for the kit and scratch builder. He used to have a good selection of small bits and pieces and would try to source stuff that I needed. Definitely going with regret.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

I'm hoping to visit tomorrow, is the shop still open?

I would like to reiterate all the above comments, I called in today and he has provided a top service in the locality and beyond.

I will certainly miss this little gem and the banter with Dave who has been a stalwart in the business.

I wish Dave all the very best for the future and you will be sorely missed mate.

I believe his closing date is the 1st August.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A shop that we normally pass late at night when returning from a day out visiting various drinking establishments but I have been in and purchased stock in the past.

I saw that he was closing when we walked into town in the afternoon of 10th July but there was a queue outside so we didn't manage to get in.

I did go in today and met the man himself. Lovely little shop with some of the faster selling OO items of recent years still on his shelves with a further 20% off the already reasonable prices. 1st August is the end!

I picked up a few items for very good price and am very pleased to have visited today. I wouldnt have known about it without RMWeb, just a shame I discovered it so late!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Whilst the closure of a model shop is never a good thing for local modellers, and I must admit I have been in and purchased a few bits whilst on holidays.  That walk up the hill from St.Davids was always a good slog!  (I know you can do it from Central, but when I was old enough I used to go in the Whetherspoons for a well earned drink on the way back to St.Davids!) 

Unfortunately we live in very uncertain times, that have led to many people taking stock of their lives and having to make difficult decisions.

All anyone can hope is that ultimately it is the correct decision for him, and that he still enjoys his railway modelling.

Best Wishes,

C.

Always a shop I visited when holidaying in Devon, and would have been there this year apart from the obvious problems with a certain virus causing our holiday plans to be cancelled. Wish them all the best in their retirement.

• RMweb Gold

I made my final visit on Wednesday, emerging with my last red and yellow box to come from there. The price sticker won't get peeled off this one.... 

I've been using the Exeter Model Shop since it was in the City Arcade and after its initial move to the other side of St David's Hill under the previous owner, Pete Lindsay. So today marks the end of more than one era.

All best wishes to Dave, whose "night job" as a guitarist is also on hold for the time being.

More time for the layout, and finishing the Transit.....

Good health and good luck mate, and see you (if I don't see you before) at the next Exeter Show, (hopefully, 2020 will be the only gap).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Popped in for one last look around and to say goodbye. A sign on the LGB train in the window says "last train will run at 4.59 tonight :( ". Came away with 3 DCC decoders and a Railroad coach for our son. Still some stock left on shelves but looking rather empty and sad. Dave seemed quite cheerful though, said thanks for my custom over the years which was nice, hopefully he'll be around at next year's Exeter show.

I haven't been absolutely the biggest spender there but it's still a shame not to be able to get sundry 'stuff' locally. Another bit of 'normal' life gone....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Popped in for one last look around and to say goodbye. A sign on the LGB train in the window says "last train will run at 4.59 tonight :( "Came away with 3 DCC decoders and a Railroad coach for our son. Still some stock left on shelves but looking rather empty and sad. Dave seemed quite cheerful though, said thanks for my custom over the years which was nice, hopefully he'll be around at next year's Exeter show.

I haven't been absolutely the biggest spender there but it's still a shame not to be able to get sundry 'stuff' locally. Another bit of 'normal' life gone....

Ok that did it for me. I think I’ve 

got something in my eye...

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 10:01, rob D2 said:

You’d think they’d be enough trade in a large city like that . I lived 200 miles away but was dropping off an aircraft at the engineering hangar there

That is quite possibly the most stupendous reason ever to visit a model shop. Brilliant! I was gutted to read the shops shut as I'll be in Exeter every week soon. Bought a few things in there if I was in Exeter and Dave seemed like a top bloke.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Wummyock said:

That is quite possibly the most stupendous reason ever to visit a model shop. Brilliant! 

I have to agree. Delivering aircraft sounds really exotic to us, but I bet is less glamorous when it is part of your day-job. Oddly, my late F-I-L did this, but in WW2 - he was a navigator, delivering planes in the Middle East.

Sorry to hear that it has closed - I dropped in several times over the last couple of years whenever I visited our Exeter office (nothing as dramatic as delivering an aeroplane though!).

Whilst of course there are other model shops in Devon (notably Peco and Buffers), they both require a dedicated visit by car rather than a 'call in while walking from the office to the station' type of visit. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Whilst of course there are other model shops in Devon (notably Peco and Buffers), they both require a dedicated visit by car rather than a 'call in while walking from the office to the station' type of visit. 

OTOH Paignton Model Shop is only a couple minutes walk from the station, so a visit can be combined with a steam excursion to Kingswear and access there to cruises on the River Dart. And of course one can arrive in style by train, be it GWR or XC. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

OTOH Paignton Model Shop is only a couple minutes walk from the station, so a visit can be combined with a steam excursion to Kingswear and access there to cruises on the River Dart. And of course one can arrive in style by train, be it GWR or XC. 

It's a good model shop is that, the one in Paignton.

And, of course, one can also arrive by train at Buckfastleigh and visit Expressway Models, on the station site itself.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

And, of course, one can also arrive by train at Buckfastleigh and visit Expressway Models, on the station site itself.

Or, if it's still open, the Ratio Shop etc in Buckfastleigh.

When I lived in the Town, our Shop, Sight and Sound, Video and Music Shop,  (Ex Co-op Shop), was opposite the Old Ratio site at the top of the Warehouse, now of course they are on the Ground Floor. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2020 at 13:11, Captain Kernow said:

Sadly, at the moment, one can't arrive at Buckfastleigh by train.

This from their website:

"The South Devon Railway has, regrettably, suspended its train services as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

We shall restart trains as soon as we possibly can when it is safe to do so and only following the advice of the government and Public Health England."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2