New Layout

Woodywood

I've been working on my layout for about two years now in my 8x16 foot shed.Its called Sandywood and I have a few utube videos but progress is slow.The era is the early 70s and one dominating feature is a coal mine which was something you used to see everywhere in my youth.I am using the Hornby select and elite controllers and my layout is DCC with the Hornby point motors run on DC and a switch panel.

My son has moved out and this now gives me the choice of a new venue for my layout in his old bedroom.Its an attic not loft so all walls are plastered and it has a normal staircase up to it..It is around 13x14 foot so it quite large I plan to come out 3 foot from the walls on three sides and 2 foot on the other which will I hope enable me to put all the things I want in and not just the things I can fit in and Im looking at upgrading my controllers to a ESU ECoS system.

This plan is subject to the normal restrictions i.e.:-Cash and time

I have made a lot of mistakes with my old layout the biggest was the use of foam underlay and the lack of good planning but Im hoping this wont happen again.

Sounds good, this time at least consider Peco Medium or if possible Long Points and have a think about Code 75 Electrofrog. With a quality controller like the ECoS then an upgrade on the track is really a must.

All the best and looking forward to seeing the plans.

I have had nothing but trouble with it.

Don't know if its the pva or the damp or the cold but it seams to grow and shrink as and when it wants to.Had a day running the trains and all was fine no derailments or stop/starting no problems at all the next day had loads of problems as if it was on a different track altogether.

Because of this Im switching to a cork based layout not that Im an excellent or experienced modeller but its the last straw

I just been looking at the peco track 75 and I cant find any short straights it seems like they are all a yard long and also no single or double corners.How then do you put points and the like in unless they all have to be a yard apart.Can you cut the track or what?

Im a bit lost

I just been looking at the peco track 75 and I cant find any short straights it seems like they are all a yard long and also no single or double corners.How then do you put points and the like in unless they all have to be a yard apart.Can you cut the track or what?

Im a bit lost

You basically use the Peco Flexi as long or short as you want, you trim to length as required and curve (in a gentle way) for the same radius as say 3rd radius setrack etc.

• 6 months later...

IMG_0483_zpsjj4qydwv.jpg

Progress so far on the layout as you can see this is my station and its all I'm doing for the moment as I found out with my last layout I had too many things on going and nothing done.

I have scratch built the platforms and the canopy's(which now have lights) I'm also going to make another Metcalfe station building for this side to match the other one.The foot bridge is a Peco/Ratio kit that's a work in progress as I had to buy 3 kits and put them together to go across 4 lines and 2 single lines.

The back ground is not going to stay like it is as I don't think I have every seen snakeskin sky not even in Doncaster.

I did go for the Esu ECoS system and quite a lot of Colbalt point motors,most of which are now in and workingIMG_0481_zpsuq2mtgso.jpg

Did have a few problems with the platforms but as you can see the guys got their fingers out and sorted them before everything ground to a halt but I'm afraid the vender did run out of Mars bars 

• 2 weeks later...

Work on my layout has moved on a little with the instulation of some platform lights and the second station building is now in place which also has had lights fitted.I have scratch built a toilet block for one side of the station as I was getting to many complaints from passengers who said they where forced to use the train toilets in the station which we know is a bad thing.Santa has told me Im getting a class 47 "Fire Fly" in swallow livery and 3 choclate and cream coaches for my G.W.R Pannier to pull along with two large plastic storage things to keep all my trains and coaches in.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived