Scratchy Bottom (LBSCR) brought back from the dead.

MarcD

We have just started the build of our latest layout. All the base boards have been built, most of the point work is built.

Based on a light railway serving the area around Lulworth on the Dorset coast. Before anyone asks yes Scratchy Bottom is a real place its about 2 miles west of Lulworth Cove and about 1/2 a mile inland from the stone arch of Durdle Door. The Story behind the building of the line is to service a small paper mill and the villages around Lulworth.  The main traffic on the line will follow that of the Lyme Regis Branch as will the timetable.

Motive power will be some Beattie 2-4-0WT built from a kit that we are currently developing.

Edited by MarcD
Bring an old layout back to life
  • Like 4

Just started to look into point and signal operation. Although I like DDC for loco control I was thinking of a manual lever frame for the points and signals. Does anyone have a solution for taking point rods over baseboard joints? 

• 1 month later...

Just spent the last week working on names for private owner wagons for Scratchy Bottom. Not sure how many I can get away with? 

Scratchy Bottom Paper Mills

Scratchy Bottom Creameries

M. R. Royds  (Coke, Coal and Lime Merchants)

A. R. Sole (Coke, coal Merchants)

Ivor Rash

Ivor Big

Huge Gars

Any more suggestions more than welcome. 

I was told that back in the day Bowater Scotts were going to replace Andrex with a product called SOLAR until they realised that depending on where you start reading it can spell out some thing different!

Just started to look into point and signal operation. Although I like DDC for loco control I was thinking of a manual lever frame for the points and signals. Does anyone have a solution for taking point rods over baseboard joints? 

The metal pieces out of choc block connectors can be used, they allow two ends to be inserted and joined by tightening up the screws, one end can be left in place when breaking the layout down. (assuming you mean hidden rodding under the layout.)

• RMweb Gold

Ray Hammond had some connections across the boards which I seem to remember had a link which was secured with wingnuts for quick assembly. Peter Denney used push rods which ran through the baseboard ends acting on a rod which was sprung to return.

The other alternative is to have a mechanical frame which operates the local devices but activates a microswitch to do the remote ones. Often the main turnouts etc. can be on the two main boards so splitting the frame into two halves which are side by side when the layout is erected will cover the majority.

My choice is to have a mechanical frame which I intend to interlock and use that to operate microswitches to control either Tortoise, Cobalts or Servos parts of the baseboard will be difficult to access underneath the devices mentioned need little adjustment or in the case of servos the adjustment can be done from the control board.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a friend over the weekend and he suggested that I move the location of Scratchy Bottom from Dorset to Somerset so  that I can put it on the WC&P. for an extra joke  

• RMweb Gold

There was some Ball Clay workings in the Isle of Purbeck it was narrow gauge near Corfe Castle but sounds ok for a light railway.

Don

Edited by Donw

Stick to Dorset where the real Scratchy Bottom is located, not far from Shitterton and the River Piddle. 

Yep - nowhere better, but there again I'm a little biased.  Nice to see another layout based on my local area.  :sungum:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the masters for the LSWR 4 and 6 wheel coaches. Once I put the sides together I will put some photos of them up. does anyone know were I can get hold of some LSWR signals in 7mm?