Scratchy Bottom (LBSCR) brought back from the dead.

MarcD

A few more photos of progress. The track is now down and wired. Hoping to have things tested and ballasted tomorrow. We have moved the platform to the new board to give more movements per train.  In the new shorter form passenger trains now have to reverse to release the loco and once its been run round it then has to reverse again into the platform.

Marc  

IMG_20190912_142839138.jpg

IMG_20190912_142857006.jpg

IMG_20190912_142907850.jpg

• Like 8

Finally finished testing spent 2 days finding a simple short. Also I have managed to build the bodies of two 2 plank ballast wagons from Sixteen Mills kits. £25 including wheels. Went together quickly and easily however they require strapping and rivets so will need some work before going to the paint shop

Marc  

LBSCR 2plk ballast 1.jpg

LBSCR 2plk ballast 2.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Progress looks good Marc - are you taking it to any shows in the future? 

Terrier wise you can never have too many - I'm lagging behind you at the moment though as I've only got four (and one is scheduled to donate its chassis to another project - does that still count as a Terrier though?!)

We will be at Folkstone show the first weekend in October. But we haven't been booked for anything else after that. Folkstone will be it's first outing in 18 months. So hopefully we might get a few invitations then. It would have gone to Barrow show but I've got to go to a wedding. Boggs and son will be getting it's first outing in November at Workington. 

You can't have to many Terriers. Once Scratchy Bottom gets replaced they are all going to be regauge to scale7. For the next project.

Marc

• Like 1

Some more photos of the progress on the new board. And the Brake van for the passenger train. I should have the grass finished and the buffer stops installed. The brake van will also go through the paint shop as well fingers crossed. 

Marc

LBSCR Pass BV1.jpg

IMG_20190928_113709383.jpg

LBSCR Pass BV2.jpg

IMG_20190928_123753444.jpg

IMG_20190928_151238411.jpg

IMG_20190928_162345044.jpg

IMG_20190928_162410828.jpg

• Like 9

Testing the whole layout on Thursday, fingers crossed, before I pack up the 4 4ft sections that are going to Folkestone.  

The Ward type buffer stop is one I bought off from Shapeways and the NER style one is a lost wax casting from Slaters.

Only got 5 jobs to do now between now and thursday evening.

1. Finish the Grass
  2. Install Point control handles 
  3. Install magents
  4. Cut, paint and install back board
  5. Test. 

Marc

• MarcD changed the title to Scratchy Bottom LSWR/LBSCR/Lowick Furness

Some progess today. Grass finished and buffer stops painted. Point control finished. Just the back scene to cut drill and paint.

Stock will be finished by tomorrow night. Then it is testing and packing up.

Marc

IMG_20191001_172119225.jpg

IMG_20191001_155618753.jpg

IMG_20191001_172215123.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I happened again I have just bought Terrier number 6. I finally got my hands on Waddon. so that is all 4 four in improved green, Fenchurch in umber and one LSWR. what next?

Marc 

waddon.jpg

Obviously a GW one and a KESR one. 

I was in the process of moving when they first came out so had to give them a miss. But I decided I had to have Thames. and no need a sound decoder. I hope it not going to be a compulsion I have no idea how I could justify Thames at Dolgelley in IEG. I know the sort of setting for Thames but that wouldn't suit Beaconsfield in CAM RYS livery. Hey Ho.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We now have an invitation to Kendal show in January 2023 with the layout at it maximum size of 36ft. So I have something to aim for. It could an outing at both Barrow and Workington shows this year but that is still TBC s we could be taking WC Boggs or Bow Locks. Either way work will need to be starting on the fiddle yards as soon as lockdown ends. I'm also going to need more stock. In its 36ft version needs 7 main line trains and 1 for the branch, plus spare locos. Going to be busy.

Marc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Second "Boxhill" will be turned into "Knowle". The transfers and number plates arrived last week from EBM/Ian MacCormack along with a spare set of plates for Thames who has managed to loose them.

I will post some photos of the process of removing the original name and numbers and the attaching of the new one once I have done it.

Marc

• MarcD changed the title to Scratchy Bottom LSWR/LBSCR

I will be adding at least one of the new Dapol B4's to the loco stud once it turns up next year. I have had my eye on one for a few years now.  I was secretly hoping for a D1 0-4-2T in IEG but I'm happy with a B4 in Adams pea green instead.

Marc 

3 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

I will be adding at least one of the new Dapol B4's to the loco stud once it turns up next year. I have had my eye on one for a few years now.  I was secretly hoping for a D1 0-4-2T in IEG but I'm happy with a B4 in Adams pea green instead.

Marc 

I've been secretly hoping for a D1 in IEG in 4mm since I was in short trousers!

Craig...(age over 21 )

Well this week I have been mainly sorting out some small issues that really bothered me last time the layout was out at Folkestone in October 2019. Mainly problems with wagons and locos having coupling hooks at slightly  different heights.  Most are at the same height  but some are as much as 3mm out. The Terrier's are the best example of this. The height of the centre line of buffers in early days was a bit of a movable feast. This was solved by agreement by the 1870's but the height of coupling hooks changes and if your using 3 link couplings it doesn't really matter, but on the whole automatic model coupling need to be all at the same height. So to solve this I have taken the standard Dingham coupling hook and redesigned it so there are now 4 types. Standard, +1mm, +2mm and +3mm. They look a bit odd especially the +3mm version which has a very visible dog leg but they should mean that regardless of what height the normal hook would be I can fit a hook that will come to the same level as the standard height. If they work I will make them available along with the wider loops.

Also this week the second Boxhill is no more. Transfers and plates have arrived from Ian McCormack so it can become Knowle. The original plates just popped off and with the aid of a round bladed I have scraped off the old name without taking the paint off. Just need some varnish and I can finish the job. If everything goes to plan I will be looking out for more IEG terriers on a well known website. I might also be tempted to get another LSWR one and alter it to 735 by adding condensing pipes and removing the extra coal rails. That would give me a full set of coaches and locos from the first year of the Lyme Regis branch, which was the original reason for buying a Dapol terrier.

I have also started to paint al the brake blocks on the Terriers. Dapol overlooked the fact that they were wood and just left them in black plastic.  

Marc

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More good news I got the official invitation to this year's Workington model railway show on the 20th/21st of November. Not sure if we will be at 24ft or 30ft yet but that really doesn't matter.

It looks like this year's new stock will be a mix of LBSCR and LSWR. Including a pre-1895 beattie well tank.

Marc

• Like 3

• 5 months later...