Gel-Jet Printers. Any good for card kits?

I've seen a couple of these printers on offer from online suppliers. The ink is meant to produce good results on plain paper, dry fast and be water and sun resistant. The cartridges look reasonably priced too.

Anyone out there in downloadable card kit land have any experience of these printers?. They sound good (too good to be true in all honesty!!) but I'd gratefully appreciate opinions before I buy one...

Many ta's

Jon Fitness

• 2 weeks later...

This one from Richard Morgan Computers not sure if they have any more. The claims tthey make for them are interesting...

JF

Frequently bought with £12.95 recycled cartridges that do 600 prints, presumably at quite a low percentage coverage, although they don't say. That's 4 x £12.95/600 = 8.6p a page, but maybe a lot more for each sheet of a building with lots of dense colour. I bought a toner cartridge for my HP Color Laserjet for £18 that should do 4,000 pages (less than 2p a page). So cheap printers can be a false economy for a lot of printing, but if it's bought specifically for modelling and the quality is absolutely fantastic, it could be worth it. Which of course still raises the question of whether anyone has tried one!

It seems they've been around a while, made by Ricoh since 2007, but I've never heard of gel printers. However, having searched around, read various reviews etc, it seems it would be OK for printing card kits, not so fussy as an inkjet wrt media, and seems it will handle thicker card than a laser. I think I would want to try one out, before buying, but seems OK.

Archived