Rapido visit

dibber25

I just want to say a public 'thank you' to Jason and Dan for sacrificing a whole day to entertain me recently. It was certainly one of the high-spots of my week in Toronto and I now know a lot more than I did, about LRCs, Budd cars and Rapido's various projects which are in progress or yet to be announced. I shall be able to provide some small research assistance with the next UK project and we were able to discuss topics for Jason's future columns in 'Model Rail'. All was rounded off with a superb Chinese lunch and a visit to the Kingston sub and the passenger car in the basement - I'm sure Jason will post the photographic evidence in due course. During our visit to VIA's TMC, we examined the half-dozen withdrawn RDCs in the yard there and Jason was able to demonstrate a remarkable knowledge of the detail differences between the cars, which require no fewer than SEVEN different end tools for the forthcoming HO model. 

It is good for model press journalists to see manufacturers first-hand. I now have a very clear idea of the differences in size, premises and staffing levels between, say Hornby, Bachmann, and Rapido - three companies whose only similarity is that they all produce RTR model railways. I'll be writing more in 'Backscene' in Model Rail in due course.

Many thanks, guys. Hope I can return the favour soon.

CHRIS LEIGH

I just want to say a public 'thank you' to Jason and Dan for sacrificing a whole day to entertain me recently. It was certainly one of the high-spots of my week in Toronto and I now know a lot more than I did, about LRCs, Budd cars and Rapido's various projects which are in progress or yet to be announced. I shall be able to provide some small research assistance with the next UK project and we were able to discuss topics for Jason's future columns in 'Model Rail'. All was rounded off with a superb Chinese lunch and a visit to the Kingston sub and the passenger car in the basement - I'm sure Jason will post the photographic evidence in due course. During our visit to VIA's TMC, we examined the half-dozen withdrawn RDCs in the yard there and Jason was able to demonstrate a remarkable knowledge of the detail differences between the cars, which require no fewer than SEVEN different end tools for the forthcoming HO model. 

It is good for model press journalists to see manufacturers first-hand. I now have a very clear idea of the differences in size, premises and staffing levels between, say Hornby, Bachmann, and Rapido - three companies whose only similarity is that they all produce RTR model railways. I'll be writing more in 'Backscene' in Model Rail in due course.

Many thanks, guys. Hope I can return the favour soon.

CHRIS LEIGH

It was great having you here, Chris!  We had a blast.

Here are some photos from Toronto Maintenance Centre.  The F40 and HEP2 coach behind Dan and Chris in the first photo were moving at the time!  

-Jason

post-20909-0-80471100-1433287996_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-72222800-1433287998_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-46824700-1433288000_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Heading home from Toronto tomorrow after spending 3 weeks here visiting family, noticed the RDC's parked at the TMC as I passed on the GO to Niagara last Sunday.

One thing I didn't see were any of the former nightstar coaches, there were plenty around the last time I was here in 2011, this time it was either LRC or stainless steel stock any time we were in Union.

We're already making plans to come back for a 5th visit!

Cheers

Craig

I suppose as a 'responsible' railfan, I should have taken a note of the numbers of those RDCs! I keep kicking myself for not writing things down. I suspect that sooner or later they'll be towed away for scrap, although I'd have thought any preserved railway would be glad to have them. I know that 6135 and 6148 from Vancouver Island were both there, and an ex-CN one with the roof top light box - 6203?. Jason gave me a very thorough education in all the differences which have resulted in the need for SEVEN different pairs of end tools for the Rapido models. I also had a tour of 'Glenfraser' under the watchfull eyes of railroad cops who were doing anti-terrorist training on an an AMTRAK car.

There were no Nightstar cars (I get in trouble for calling them that - sorry, Ren cars) in Toronto and I think they've once again stopped using them west of Montreal. My engineer friend has told me on many occasions that they were nothing but trouble and that every train they worked would involve moving passengers to different cars because the air-con or something else had failed. I found them really nice when I travelled on the Ocean in 2012. I would like to see some models but they are outside the time frame for the majority of Canadian modellers so it's unlikely. 

Yes, I shall be back for another visit next year - miss friends and family - so I'll be making the annual trip as long as I'm able.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived