6 Wheel Carriage Compensation Units (inside bearing)

Does anybody produce some? I'm building a Peter K Cambrian carriage and the supplied method of compensation is far too sloppy, so I'd like to replace it. I did consider MJT RTR wagon compensating units rigged up like their 3 axle compensation units but they are too tall.

All the other ones I can find seem to be for regular W irons, I need inside bearings. 

Does anybody produce some? I'm building a Peter K Cambrian carriage and the supplied method of compensation is far too sloppy, so I'd like to replace it. I did consider MJT RTR wagon compensating units rigged up like their 3 axle compensation units but they are too tall.

All the other ones I can find seem to be for regular W irons, I need inside bearings.

Not quite answering your question but is your PK model a recent acquisition? I tried ordering a kit from the current stockist (sorry forgotten who it was ) and after an extremely long wait with no feedback I managed to cancel my order and get a refund which is not what I wanted to do. Hope you don't mind me asking ?

Good luck with your search :)

I'm assuming this is 4mm? My current inside bearing parts maybe of some help. Would you please post the wheelbase dimensions?

If it's 4mm then Brass Masters do a Cleminson under frame.

Not quite answering your question but is your PK model a recent acquisition? I tried ordering a kit from the current stockist (sorry forgotten who it was ) and after an extremely long wait with no feedback I managed to cancel my order and get a refund which is not what I wanted to do. Hope you don't mind me asking ?

Good luck with your search :)

Recent yes, but from ebay. I tried getting in touch with Kemilway an age ago about coaches and the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0s and got no reply at all. Their loss. 

I'm assuming this is 4mm? My current inside bearing parts maybe of some help. Would you please post the wheelbase dimensions?

9'9" x 9'9" in 4mm, which is in itself awkward to set up as my gauge only does 6" increments! 

Taking Blue Max's point, I shortened the width of standard W-irons and added suitable bearings, thus I have inside bearing clemisons,
However as I have 42" minimum radius curves on my layout, I prefered a 'floating' centre axle - one that can slide side to side AND keep in contact with the rails.

There is room so I've bought some Bill Bedford Pedestal sprung units to try. The Brassmasters cleminson won't do this wheelbase so is automatically out, not to mention the issues raised elsewhere on the forum with getting the W irons to fold down square. 

Inside bearing would have been better but I guess I can work with outside. 

I'll arrange the outer trucks to pivot, and the centre will have a  sliding axle. May make the truck slide too if there's enough room/if it's required. 

I would have liked to use Bill's MR units and chopped off the \ and / bits form the W irons as they have brake shoes provided, but they are too tall it seems. 

Seems no one is reading the title of this thread, the OP requires an inside bearing set up not the outside bearing version from Brassmasters that has been suggested by two other posts.

The Comet etch as I said has an inside bearing option on the fret

I think Mike Trice did some inside bearings at one point

The Comet etch as I said has an inside bearing option on the fret

I think Mike Trice did some inside bearings at one point

Did you mean W irons C7 or something else I've overlooked? C7 is for outside bearings.

Yes there are 7 pieces

3 x W irons (the end pair use outside bearings

3 x rockers for the W irons

1 x inside bearing for the middle W iron

End two W irons outside bearings, rigid or rocking

Middle W iron inside bearing allowing the wheel to move sideways

Well the Bill Bedford units were no use in the end, the pedestal was too large and was  too conspicuous behind the slim Cambrian bits. So back to the MJT rocking units again. This time I dropped some wheels in, and measured between the treat and the floor - without the rocking unit it was spot on 4', so I hatched a plan! 

Holes were drilled at the centres, and the outer units allowed to Pivot. The centre truck was bolted up rigid, and a length of 0.3mm nickel silver wire passed through all 3 to stop the outer trucks turning too much and falling between the rails. 

The result works, but does not go round tight bends, I shall replace the middle truck with an 00 item to get some more sideways clearance on the wheels.

post-21854-0-12584000-1433949194_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-63802500-1433949201_thumb.jpg

It's coming together!

post-21854-0-91497700-1433949209_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-15291100-1433949217_thumb.jpg

Looking through some of my 6 wheeled scratch built stock, I've used a variety of methods to keep the wheels on the track and go round bends...
1. Mike Sharman's flexi-chas system, using all inside (the wheels) bearings on the axles.  One end fixed, the other two axles are pivoted on a central bar which itself is soldered to a cross tube that is central to those two axles.  A standard flexi-chas system, there is enough play in the centre cross tube piece and it's support to give some minor deflection to the two 'floating' axles, just like a clemison..

2. Again, one end fixed, the other end has basically a bogie with internal bearings, the centre point being offset towards the coach buffer end of the bogie - same principle as used on LNWR 42' radial carriage chassis (or, on some kits anyway).  Thus the end axle moves slightly to the centre having greater swing, which in reality means they hardly move at all.

• 3 weeks later...

For 6 wheeled stock that does not like your curves, try removing the tyre from the wheel. It works and nobody will notice!

For 6 wheeled stock that does not like your curves, try removing the tyre from the wheel. It works and nobody will notice!

I should have made clear I mean the centre wheel

Archived