Ilkley locomotive shed, 4mm P4 1950s

Jub45565

There is a good photograph of the front of the Goods Shed in the Bill Smith and Donald Binns book - Railways in the Notthern Dales - The Skipton and Ilkley Line, on page 48 and another distant one on page 51.  That gives you some information on three sides.  Hope that helps, Tom

Edited by LMS29

Tom, my copy of  the Bill Smith and Donald Binns book arrived this morning.  The photos are just what I was looking for.  Also, I haven’t seen the photo of the cattle dock underneath the shed photo on page 48.  I hadn’t planned to model this area but with a bit of layout-bashing I think I could just squeeze it in, with Kings Hall etc on the backscene.

My building of the loco shed is being held up as I am waiting for some paints to arrive but, as always, there are lots of other jobs to do.

Once again, thanks again for your help.

Stuart

• Like 2

Tom

Many thanks.  Joining this thread has been a great help.  What was to be a fairly average representation of Ilkley is going to be much more like the real thing.  I have the old brewery and the loco shed almost done (I’ll post photos when they are).  I’m just about to start on the goods shed and then I shall attempt a representation of Railway Terrace.  I shall continue to follow the thread and ask for advice/help when I need it and as my model progresses.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

No particular news on the layout - I'm currently working from home but kept as busy as ever, for the time being at least. Some extra evening & weekend time is allowing more modelling, but generally trying to progress loco builds at the moment.

However one thing while browsing 'The Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway', and I think links to something Tom has been looking at, is trip freight workings.

There were quite a few which worked through Ilkley, but two which stopped there to shunt. These were the L87 from Leeds Hunslet sidings, worked from Holbeck, and SN64 from Skipton. L87 shunted Ilkley in the morning, and SN64 in the afternoon.

By 1958 Skipton was still in the Midland region, which Ilkley & Holbeck were in the North Eastern region.

My question, as I'm only modelling the shed - would this shunting (coal in, ash out) be organised regionally, and therefore be covered by the Holbeck working? Or would it be more set up for efficiency which would depend on the source of coal (which will be harder to find out) and disposal location for the ash - which would presumably be far more variable.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised back in late March when I joined this thread, I have posted photographs of my (almost) completed model representation of the Ilkley Locomotive Shed.  As I said earlier, I model in N gauge, so the building is in 2mm scale.   Inevitably in trying to replicate an actual building there is always some compromise.   The main shed has been shortened by 4 windows on the main line side which I estimated is approximately 45 feet.  I have modelled the sand furnace house wall facing the front of the main shed with a window as shown in the drawing but all the photos of the actual shed show a door.   Was it always a door? 

Also, there should be 2 more chimneys for smoke extraction at the back of the main shed coming out of the roof unlike the others which arise from the roof light frames.   I decided not to include these, frightened I would probably spoil a perfectly good roof!   The smoke chimneys themselves should be stone/brick but having stretch my skills to the limit constructing the rest of the building, I concluded this would have been a step too far!   Finally, not having access to any colour photos of the shed, I chose to paint the doors, roof vents, gutters and downpipes in LMS Buildings Brown – I would be happy to hear from anyone as to what colour was actually used.

I did say ‘almost finished’ in my opening sentence because, having taken photographs, it looks like the sand house chimney is leaning slightly and a couple of the main doors to the shed look as if they are coming off their hinges and need to be rehung!

Finally, my apologies for the locos which probably never came anywhere near to Ilkley – they were the first ones out of the stock box when I decided to take the photographs.

Now it’s on to the Goods Shed…….

Stuart

Loco_Shed_3.jpg

Loco_Shed_2.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, I had linked into the two local good workings and have scheduled them into my timetable but thanks for pointing them out.  I have a sand wagon and a loco coal wagon at my engine shed but had not thought about how they get there or where they go to, if you work that out, I would like to know.

Stuart, I like the engine shed and it captures the character of the building. there is a good photograph of the coal stage if you need one which fitted between the two sidings running down to the sand drier.

I have been working on the MOS tank wagons for my rake of ammonia wagons (1947 era).  I have two photographs, one of the 'stone' coloured wagon which is described in the MRC article that was mention earlier and the other shows a MOS wagon on the Brook Street bridge which looks white.  The former wagon has two red painted rings at either end and the later only has one red ring at either end.

The attached photograph shows my rendition of two tankers with the stone livery that I have made to see how they worked out.  I repainted two Mainline tank wagons to see if I could reproduce the livery as described; also in the photograph is a third stone coloured wagon which was commercially produced.  I was pleased with the way the livery turned out but realise that I could do a lot to improve the overall appearance of the tank wagon, if I decide to make more of these.  I plan to leave these now until I can resolve which of the two (or both liveries) appeared regularly in Ilkley in the late 1940's. 

IMG_4120.JPG

The wagons were seen passing through my model of Ben Rhydding station.

Tom

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 6

Tom

I have photos of the coal stage and drawings as well as I always intended to build it.  Unfortunately, when I went to ‘plant’ the engine shed I had to move the siding next to the shed wall which moved it closer to the outer one leaving a very restricted space for the coal stage.  To get it in, I’ll have to move the outer siding including the ash pit.

i really like your model of Ben Rhydding.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

This picture currently on ebay any help?  Sorry, haven't been through all the thread to see if you have posted same/similar but am "following" your thread so thought it worth posting, just in case!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392807382475?ul_noapp=true

I follow this seller (GCR427) because for a while he had some interesting wagon pictures on offer.  Therefore saw this in a recent email of his recent listings by chance! 

15 hours ago, 26power said:

This picture currently on ebay any help?  Sorry, haven't been through all the thread to see if you have posted same/similar but am "following" your thread so thought it worth posting, just in case!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392807382475?ul_noapp=true

Thanks for pointing this out.  Any relevant picture of Ilkley is of interest.  

Tom

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks. I have seen that one before, but as you say definitely better that way than assuming I/we had and not doing! It may well be new to other readers too.

It looks like the same one in the collection available from the scalefour stores.

Undated - but can be narrowed down.  The telegraph poles poles got replaced with different arms sometime after 1956, but by 1956 the tall roof vents had already gone. It is definitely post war to have the blackout 'white paint' to aid low light visibility, it has the BR gas lamp head, and the double arm signal was installed in 1948 (taller than the one it replaced).  The original higher section of roof was still raised in 1939 but lower by 1948.

I thought I had a photo or two dated 1953 but they aren't immediately to hand.

*all this is going by dates of other photos, but does seem to stack up.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of photos of my model of the Goods Shed with thanks to everyone who has helped by pointing me towards some really helpful resources - the ‘Sir Douglas’ drawing (thanks, Pete) and the excellent photograph in the Smith and Binns book ‘Railways in the Northern Dales - The Skipton and Ilkley Line (thanks, Tom).   In the end, the only educated guess I had to make was with the end wall of the Office, and it now seems I got that completely wrong!   

The aerial photograph above clearly shows that the office has a hipped roof and I’ve modelled it with a gable, similar to every other photograph I have seem of a Midland designed Goods Shed and, looking more closely at various maps/plans in close up, it looks as if the office door is on the right as you look at the wall with the steps facing the track and I’ve modelled the door and steps the other way round.  

Ah well - it’s only a ‘representation’......

Stuart

1A7C1BD0-4A63-4152-8331-D79E237ADDD3.jpeg

C3B2CF01-CDB1-4B64-AB6F-326ABCDCDE14.jpeg

0E458218-1668-45F3-8D84-5EC915BEBC74.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Stuart,

Good to see your goods shed in the flesh.  I think that I will have to go back and look at mine again in due course.  It is interesting to see how much information that has been unearthed since I made mine some years ago now.  

My 'lock down' modelling has been directed towards making wagons for the 1940's version of Ilkley with the odd diversion to build stock from other eras for pleasure .

The first shot shows the front line of wagons which are mainly wagons from the Slaters range of kits and the second shot shows wagons from the unpainted Dapol wagons range, chosen the inject some variety into the goods trains and of course the latter ones still needing to be weathered.

Tom 

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

During the 'lockdown' I have continued to build wagon kits, modify RTR wagon and doing some scratch building.  As a result I now have  completed six rakes of wagons.  The first two are LMS good trains, one in each direction, which represent trains which are diverted up the Wharfedale line when there were diversions from the Leeds/Skipton line up the Aire Valley.  Both are a mixture of wagons which are typical of the random mixture of good wagons seen in photographs of the time.  There is still some work to do weathering  and adding loads but it is good to see them running!

IMG_4177.JPG.eaccec874baf95f9978d529ac2745140.JPG

I also built more WD Ammonia tank wagons, to complete the rake of 10 WD tank wagons.  Transfers were the work of CCT of this parish.  I now have two rakes to represent the two or three trains which passed through Ilkley on a daily basis.  The clean tanker is the only RTR version of this wagon, which I quite like to leave in a pristine condition.

IMG_4201.JPG.a96ebc9a049340da48d93c868809ba83.JPG

The last pair of trains that I have assembled represent coal and coke trains which ran full from County Durham towards Lancashire and of course returned empty.  I have found reference to the use of wooden LNER hopper wagons in this traffic, so I have built a number of these kits from Slaters, but could not resist building other wagons to add some variety.  At this stage I have not found a relevant photograph, so feel able to take this liberty!

IMG_4196.JPG.6e7377e682e418df34bbf77bed1d9818.JPG

Still work to do but the progress has been quite positive.

Tom

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed a little more progress with wagons for the 1940's.  Looking at photographs, i have been interested to see wagon and vans that are sheeted.  Looking more closely I note that that all sorts of sheets are being used and that the tethering is also quite random.  In order to create a little more interest I have modelled four examples.

The first photo of a van with sheet presumably to cover a leak in the roof and an open wagon with folded sheet, awaiting load.

55991075_SheetedVan.jpg.66b724a5aded73face6c29f9b020bb24.jpg

The second shows a couple of sheeted wagons, which I found in a photo, which may have covered a part load or just be covering an empty wagon and they were  holding a fair load of water.  Just a bit more variety for the two goods trains.

Sheeted_wagons.jpg.edb4eb597cdbde423272fe0afde02af1.jpg

Tom

Apologies, I will try and get a better photograph next time I get the camera out!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have been working well outside my comfort zone over the last few weeks trying to make three Gresley coaches in teak finish.  I had 3 Gresley Sleeping cars and bought 3 sets of etched sides from MJT. I have endeavoured to make a D 23 TK, a D34 BCKL and a  D27 TO.  Lots of new skills involved and a decision that I would concentrate on the coach bodies and leave the under gubbins this time. 

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

I used the process for 'painting' described by Mike Trice on an RMWeb thread for the first two coaches and experimented with a variation for the TO but finished with a matt varnish (not quite the same effect!).  Still lots to learn and improvements that I can make but it has been fun.

Tom

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Work on coaches has continued and I have almost completed two more.  The first a TO for the diverted Leeds-Glasgow passenger train:

LMS TO.jpg

The second, a scratch built Barnum TO for the Saltburn Blackpool SO holiday  train. 

Barnum 1.jpg

Both need some more detailing when the transfers are delivered, the roof on both need attaching and a mild amount of weathering will complete. 

Tom

PS As many people, I have had to use mail order and have been really pleased with the service received from several suppliers.

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I should check in and say hello!  Autumn got quite busy, as I decided to move house - and in doing so Ilkley is currently at my parents and with the world as it is I'm not sure when it will arrive!

The move went smoothly enough though, and while the house was built c1850 there isn't a massive amount that needs immediate attention, so the workbench is back up and running.  I'm currently working on a Judith Edge Stanier 3P, to appear as 40112. The planned modelling room is the one room with some work to do, with a bank of render around the chimney rather than proper flashing and this has let some damp in.  The room is 14'6" x 11', so gives some scope once Ilkley is 'finished'.  By the time P4 curves are taken into account I'm not sure a proper roundy roundy is particularly viable other than as a basic test track (especially with a beam near one corner too) - but I'm not getting myself too distracted with such options yet a while anyway!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Thought I should check in and say hello!  Autumn got quite busy, as I decided to move house - and in doing so Ilkley is currently at my parents and with the world as it is I'm not sure when it will arrive!

The move went smoothly enough though, and while the house was built c1850 there isn't a massive amount that needs immediate attention, so the workbench is back up and running.  I'm currently working on a Judith Edge Stanier 3P, to appear as 40112. The planned modelling room is the one room with some work to do, with a bank of render around the chimney rather than proper flashing and this has let some damp in.  The room is 14'6" x 11', so gives some scope once Ilkley is 'finished'.  By the time P4 curves are taken into account I'm not sure a proper roundy roundy is particularly viable other than as a basic test track (especially with a beam near one corner too) - but I'm not getting myself too distracted with such options yet a while anyway!

Looking forward to the guided tour......!:yahoo:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Pete,

Glad you have got moved. 

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi All - Sorry I've been away from everything for a bit and distracted by other projects.  Good to have a catch up on everyone's progress.

Interesting a couple of you talking of school days.  My parents met at Ilkley grammar in about 1955/56 and were there until 1961 ish.  David Palmer and Joan Tomblin.  Be amazingly small world if any of you chaps knew them.

Still no progress here, but no COVID either, which is a big plus. 

Stay safe and away from each other! :-)

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew,

I was at the Grammar School from 58 to 65.  Your mum's name rings a bell, the only Palmer I remember was the French teacher. Maybe a PM if you want to expand on this topic.

I have also been relatively quiet as I have stripped Ilkley layout down in the last couple of months, pending a house move and it is and is likely to be in storage for some time to come. 

Tom