Nelson Electric Tramway Society

pH

This is a preservation society that runs a tourist streetcar service on a short line along the waterfront in Nelson, British Columbia. They have 2 vehicles, but only one is in operation. The operating car was originally owned by the Nelson Street Railway Company, a municipally-owned tramway company in Nelson which operated from 1899 to 1949. Apparently, Nelson was the smallest town in the British Empire to have a street railway! And if you've seen how steep some of the hills are in Nelson, it must have been fun to travel on and operate.    

Here's the operating car, number 23:

post-1771-0-14797200-1433377318.jpg

and here is the society's car barn:

post-1771-0-94182500-1433377335.jpg

• 4 months later...

Andy, to me the Bachmann Brill is virtually perfect for this car.   I read a superb book on Nelson's tramways and the preservation line.   I came across the book in the Royal BC Museum in Victoria, Vancouver Island, many years ago.   Thumbing through the book I found a familiar looking face so bought the book.   The photo was of the gentleman who whilst developing Vancouver's Skytrain system, helped the preservationists.   It transpired that this person had started his tramway career on the Glasgow system and that is why he was familiar - he was the Inspector in charge of the two trams chartered by the Tramway & Light Railway Society for their final tour on 2nd. September, 1962!!!   Small World!   Colin LW.

Archived