Peco track 75

Woodywood

Woody - suggest you invest in a pair of Xuron track cutters and a set of tiny needle files. That will make your life much easier when using any flexi-track. I would also suggest a set of track radii templates to ensure you get the curves about right, but that's not essential.

Is this your first time using flexible track (as opposed to the set track systems of Hornby, Bachmann or indeed Peco)? Or just first time using Code 75?

Woodtwood

A slitting disk in a mini drill, or a junior hacksaw will also cut it very well. A 6" number 3 (fine) cut file is best to square everything up with needle files used to deburr

I used to use a junior hacksaw then discovered the track cutters, never used a hacksaw on my track since, excellent tool.

• RMweb Premium

Woody

The track cutters are like wire cutters except that instead of a V shaped cutter, one side is flat. The flat side leaves a lot less to be filed off the rail end (but more on the cut=off remnant).

I've been known to use a "razor saw". I find the motor tool is a bit overpowering unless you hold down the rail.

• 1 month later...

Lots of excellent videos on youtube under EverardJunction, he recently posted some including tracking laying showing you everything you need to know.

He uses code 100 and some set track on his layout, but the same principles apply to code 75 flexi track, and you will of course have to use code 75 points (I like the long ones!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91eE-Gjw5w

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Im planning to have a "merry go round"in and around a coal mine what is the tightest rad I can get from code 75 is it 18"if so Im one happy woody

It is possible to use flextrack at such tight radii but quite difficult particularly at the track joints.

You may find it better to use Code 100 sectional track and bury the sleepers and rails in "sludge" to hide the difference in rail height (lots of coal dust settles on the track in reality at such locations. Special fishplates are available to join the 75 to the 100.

It is not the radius per se but the difficulty of joining flexi track at such small radii.  I use code 100 but like to use set track for curves under no 3 radius, you may find soldering a piece of brass along the outside of the rail at the fishplate prevents the inevitable creep towards a kink as the layout ages,  You could always lay the code 75 on inverted set track bases to keep the curvature.  As for minimum radius I am sure 9" is possible in 00 and as soon as I get my Emmet designed 0-2-0 tender loco and free lance 0-3-0VBT built I shall have a go. 

• RMweb Premium

2 yards of flextrack will do a half circle at 18" radius (plus a bit). I solder the ends together while straight, with rail joiners, then put the join in the middle of the curve and bend.

I need a variation of this for larger radii!

Archived