Kitbuild Challenge entry - LNER F5 2-4-2T

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the brass paint, which is Phoenix enamel, all the paint I've used is acrylic. For the metal parts, such as handrails, I use Polly Scale paint as I find it works best.

Detail parts are stuck on with either superglue gel or glue'n'glaze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To close off this topic I thought I'd post a picture of the loco in a more scenic setting.

post-6821-0-48174100-1438545299_thumb.jpg

I posted some more in my kitbuilding workbench topic.

• Like 11

• 4 months later...

I've just read the whole two pages, what a good blog post.

Also have you tried using Halfords Plastic Filler Primer (The Yellow one)for smoothing WSF? I find that works better than just paint although what you have done seems to work well too. I find wetting the abrasive paper (P600 & 1500 grit I use) helps turn it into a cream which fills those gaps nicely, small areas are had at with an old gummed up needle file. only problem with WSF smoothing is you need to give it a few layers.

You've done a good job of this, for the spring wire at the rear pony did you ream the axle holes out slightly to give a little wobble and does the spring cause much running friction as it is essentially operating like a brake?

How's the whole engine run? :)

Flywheels are a boon that's for sure.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Knuckles. I've only given it a test run on some plain track, so I don't know how well it handles points etc. The pony wheels ride in slots rather than round holes, with about 2mm movement up and down. The force from the spring wire is quite light. When I get round to running this on a layout it may need some adjustments, hopefully nothing drastic.

Thanks Knuckles. I've only given it a test run on some plain track, so I don't know how well it handles points etc. The pony wheels ride in slots rather than round holes, with about 2mm movement up and down. The force from the spring wire is quite light. When I get round to running this on a layout it may need some adjustments, hopefully nothing drastic.

Thanks. I'm interested in the arrangments as I'll be working on compensated or spring ready chassis options at some point but currently unsure what the best option would be.

How many printed loco's made? Might have a look to find them.

I'm guessing you're quite experienced with Shapeways.

Ok cool. :)

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Premium

This is the only complete (body and chassis) printed loco I've completed so far, others are in the works.

My own creations are mostly rolling stock, with a few parts for RTR conversions.

I've given this loco a test run through some points and all seems fine.

This is the only complete (body and chassis) printed loco I've completed so far, others are in the works.

My own creations are mostly rolling stock, with a few parts for RTR conversions.

I've given this loco a test run through some points and all seems fine.

Ok that's cool. Thanks for explaining.

• 6 months later...

I have a old Stephen Poole whitemetal F5 to build.  I wonder if the chassis (if it can be bought separate?)  would be upto the extra weight?.

The Stephen Poole kit must have been produced from a Skinley drawing and is several mm short in footplate and tanks so would need to be stretched to fit the scale Shapeways chassis.   The John Edgeson (Isinglass) drawing (No 4/365) will give you the correct dimensions.

Alan

The Stephen Poole kit must have been produced from a Skinley drawing and is several mm short in footplate and tanks so would need to be stretched to fit the scale Shapeways chassis.   The John Edgeson (Isinglass) drawing (No 4/365) will give you the correct dimensions.

Alan

Yes I found that when the Shapeways chassis arrived , it was miles out . It was ebayed and sold on!!.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...