Headache inducing twins - A pair of Cambrian Small Goods 0-6-0s from Peter K etches

And boy what a headache these are going to give me! 

I managed to acquire from eBay a pair of unbuilt etches and some fittings for two Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 goods locos, the lovely 'standard' sort where nothing is actually the same between two locos! 

So the plan...is there one? Well lets see what we've got first then we'll decide on some prototypes! Comparison shows that there has been a revision in the etches, although the bias is still firmly towards Furness locomotives (as evdidenced by the tender only being Furness pattern, and the plethora of Furness number plates). Notice the upper fret has very different footplating, the lower one will only build original boiler locos with the open cylinder fronts, the upper one will only suit rebuilt locos with the raised boiler pitch and closed over cylinder fronts. This suits me somewhat as I wanted to do an early condition and late condition one. 

post-21854-0-34540200-1433591672_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-83883400-1433591680_thumb.jpg

The tenders appear identical, but actually have different rivet patterns on the body. 

post-21854-0-58582100-1433591689_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-54141400-1433591697_thumb.jpg

As do the parts below the footplate:

post-21854-0-26043500-1433591705_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-02476700-1433591712_thumb.jpg

With the exception of one kit also including brakes for the loco: (as built only the tender was braked)

post-21854-0-69531300-1433591720_thumb.jpg

So then decision time! What to build? History lesson time! The Furness tender limits matters to one of the 3 ex Furness locos that appeared on the Cambrian, No. 18, 48 or 49. I'm leaning towards one of the latter in early condition, perhaps even running in Mid Wales Railway guise. I have not seen an early picture of No. 18 to see whether it had the same Furness stylings, later pics show it to have the other type of valance fitted so perhaps it did not also have the ornate tender frame. There is no valance provided for any of the early Cambrian locos which is a shame, I'd have liked to have a named loco but never mind - I may yet scratchbuild another!

So for the rebuilt one... well 15 was the first to be rebuilt with the new boiler and also had the ornate valance and no loco brakes, but was also withdrawn early, I'd like to have this one running up til grouping and have a 6 wheel tender, so I'm leaning towards No. 1. We shall see. I think a table of detail differences is required! 

Anything else? Yes. I have yet to mention drive. Being a small loco there is not a lot of room in the boiler for anything but a tiddly motor, and even that would waste so much space adequate weighting would be all but impossible. So, I'm sticking a Bull Ant in the 4 wheel Tender initially, with Mashima 1024, flywheel and 60:1 gearing it will crawl along. There's plenty of room either side of the unit to stick some nice slabs of lead, the locomotive is then free to house the decoder. Loco wheels will be Ultrascale GWR 4' 7.5" ones - 1.5" too big or 0.5mm Diameter. This should not be a problem as by using Ultrascale's EM profile wheels the flanges are reduced enough so that the overall diameter is the same as for the correct 4'6" wheels in 00 profile. The Bull Ant comes with 14mm Romford RP25 wheels which although not what I would like ideally will do the job. 

That's enough waffling for now I think, I'm off to decide which parts I need from the frets and how much more I need to do myself.

Sorry Martin, Having missed out on one ages ago that went for over £100 and being unable to get a reply from Kemilway about getting new ones, I wasn't going to miss out on these two! The Seller Richard Evans has been a godsend too, he's given me copies of various articles on the locos and even a copy of a General Arrangement for the rebuilt locos. He's also doing his own range of Cambrian coaches so may well be worth getting in touch with him on that front. 

Some more theory before putting tool to metal:

Cut out required in tender base for Bullant:

post-21854-0-33259400-1433609174.jpg

And just in case any more proof was needed that the class = a headache, here is a collated table of differences between locomotives over the years, and this is discounting the 5 different tenders that could be attached! 

post-21854-0-57536400-1433609194_thumb.jpg

The tender is good for the Mid Wales Railway version.

The cab is massively over-scale and a scratch-built replacement will need making.

I've been failing to pluck up enough courage to start mine for a while. I was intending to use Gibson's 1mm milled brass frames until I ran a ruler over them a few weeks ago and realised they are hopelessly inaccurate, so a scratchbuilt chassis beckons. I had planned to put the motor in the tender with a driveshaft through to the loco, but I've not tried anything like that before and I suspect this might be the wrong loco for a step into unfamiliar territory.

It goes without saying that this is one thread that will be followed with considerable interest!

I have a friend (Tudor Watkins) who has built one of these - a major challenge and as stated above requiring some scratchbuilding to get it right. The result though is delightful. It appeared quite a few times at exhibitions on Sandy Croall's Penlan layout so there may be some images of it somewhere on RMWeb or on images from exhibitions such as Aylesbury.

Hmm, so the cab top half is fine (which is only needed on some locos) but the waist sheets are totally wrong, which are needed for all locos. Hmm. The Furness ones are slightly better than the Cambrian ones too. I'm using less and less of this kit as the day goes by!  :O

Thanks to your detective work, I now realise that I've got the early-version-only etches. Inevitably, I wanted to build the later version with the higher pitched, Beaconsfield boiler. At this rate, about all I'll be using of the kit are the valances!

... I have run out of piercing saw blades so more of them on order before I chop out the hole for the Bull Ant.

Some forty years ago I earwigged a conversation between a modeller and Mike Sharman at an MK exhibition. The upshot was that MS never used piercing saws because he found, as I have always done, that they snagged and bent the workpiece. His solution was to drill several holes at convenient locations and then to use a round swiss file to remove the unwanted material. Then to clean up with other files as appropriate. I put away my piercing saw and it hasn't been used since!

Regards

It is possible to build the Peter K 'Sharpie', but be prepared to remake a lot of the kit - here's my FR version from a few years ago. It is an absolute pig of a kit and I replaced the chassis and used a High Level gearbox with the ubiquitous Mashima 1220. Best of British with your Cambrian versions ! [NB I've finally reversed the photograph !]

post-20683-0-77938300-1450093230_thumb.jpg

Thanks to your detective work, I now realise that I've got the early-version-only etches. Inevitably, I wanted to build the later version with the higher pitched, Beaconsfield boiler. At this rate, about all I'll be using of the kit are the valances!

Looking at the etches it seems that the boiler pitch is (incorrectly) identical between both versions, though I haven't got the ruler out to measure yet.

It is possible to build the Peter K 'Sharpie', but be prepared to remake a lot of the kit - here's my FR version from a few years ago. It is an absolute pig of a kit and I replaced the chassis and used a High Level gearbox with the ubiquitous Mashima 1220. Best of British with your Cambrian versions ! (As usual, apologies for the reversed photograph taken with a MacBook)

Looks very good - though the over length waist sheet is glaringly obvious. Where did you get those coupling rods from?

Some forty years ago I earwigged a conversation between a modeller and Mike Sharman at an MK exhibition. The upshot was that MS never used piercing saws because he found, as I have always done, that they snagged and bent the workpiece. His solution was to drill several holes at convenient locations and then to use a round swiss file to remove the unwanted material. Then to clean up with other files as appropriate. I put away my piercing saw and it hasn't been used since!

Regards

I've been known to do that too, but generally only on plastic as it takes too long filing metal! 

though I haven't got the ruler out to measure yet.

When you get your ruler out, check the footplate length.

I was told it was too long and would need shortening, but when I checked I found it was only about half a millimetre adrift, which I didn't feel was enough to worry about. However, when I mentioned that to my source of information he was adamant that the error is somewhat bigger than that.

Second opinion required!

Thanks , but there was bit of a compromise in the coupling rod dept as I used Alan Gibson 'universal' rods. I know they should be round section but when I built this one, I didn't reckon I could make durable rods to the necessary level of precision for good running (my engines have to run well and I'll accept compromises such as Romford wheels in order to get a robust chassis and 'American' pick-up on tender engines). 

Looking at the etches it seems that the boiler pitch is (incorrectly) identical between both versions, though I haven't got the ruler out to measure yet.

Looks very good - though the over length waist sheet is glaringly obvious. Where did you get those coupling rods from?

Sorry Martin, Having missed out on one ages ago that went for over £100 and being unable to get a reply from Kemilway about getting new ones.....

It does reinforce the feeling that Kemilway / Peter K are pretty much dormant now.

....I'm using less and less of this kit as the day goes by!  :O

I think this is why they say some of these kits are a good "aid to scratchbuilding".....

• 5 months later...

Looks like that's about all I'll be using too! 

I'm seriously considering abandoning these kits and doing the lot from scratch (or my own etches at least). 

It turned out that with the 60:1 gearbox option the Bull Ant won't fit in the Furness tender, all the drawings on the Hollywood foundry site pertain to the slimmer 30ish:1 boxes (which would fit as in my above sketch) . I've had it running and it is a very noisy little thing too, so maybe a redesign with loco drive will be needed for the 2nd loco (which will get a 6wheel tender)

I, for one, would be more than interested in buying any extra sets of etches you might produce!

There will be plenty to go round, I'll be investigating making a cast boiler as well. I first drew the CAD for a chassis in 2007, updating it is proving tricky. I'm currently trying to sort out articulating the rods. 

Archived