Norfolk & Western mid 50's HO scale

Back to the layout, I'm going to use Peco Code 83 on a the scenic section and code 100 on the storage roads. I never thought I'd be buying code 100 again !! Il get some Shinohara code 100 to 83 transition lengths to bridge the gap between the to rail types. On the scenic section I'm going to try & replicate the prototypical off set rail joints. What lengths would the rails be?

Edited by steve fay

Leased pennsy GP9's post-5983-0-71793800-1434884102.jpg

Athearn Genesis have these coming out in a few months time in the correct pennsy livery. Just a number change. I might go down this route instead of a respray, I can always add some N&W units at a later date.

• Like 2

Leased pennsy GP9's attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Athearn Genesis have these coming out in a few months time in the correct pennsy livery. Just a number change. I might go down this route instead of a respray, I can always add some N&W units at a later date.

N&W GP-9 620 at NC Transportation museum last Sunday

post-24082-0-51979500-1434901129_thumb.jpg

post-24082-0-53886700-1434901144_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The Athearn Genesis locos do seem to be the correct spec for that loco (48`fans, no Trainphone antenna).

Adrian

post-5983-0-04252800-1434978438.jpg

Another box car arrived today!! It looks like I've missed out on the pre orders for the pennsy GP9 they should have been in by Febuary. I've asked model junction to order one but they cannot guarantee delivery. It seems the manufacturers are really relying on pre orders now to determine the amount of models and livery options they produce. If they can't get one I will try and get one direct from the States. Model junction still have the New Haven options so I could still go down the respray route. We will find out next March

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another box car arrived today!! It looks like I've missed out on the pre orders for the pennsy GP9 they should have been in by Febuary. I've asked model junction to order one but they cannot guarantee delivery. It seems the manufacturers are really relying on pre orders now to determine the amount of models and livery options they produce. If they can't get one I will try and get one direct from the States. Model junction still have the New Haven options so I could still go down the respray route. We will find out next March

While the manufacturers are relying on pre-orders, it is not necessarily pre-orders by individuals. The bigger retailers will pre-order batches so as to have some stock, so there should be some available from the States when they come out.

Adrian

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident il get one, I'd like a Pennsy GP9 and a couple of N&W ones. I might if I can stretch to it ( DCC sound ) at the time get a Pennsylvania and one to repaint. Hopefully at some point Athearn will do some in N&W Black or Red

I need to get some transfers to respray a RS3 I have on pre order

A brand new Alco RS11 and Il be set!

This is probably your best bet for diesel transfers

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=87-22&Category_Code=NW

Note the very low stock indication - Microscale's production seems to be semi-random, so I'd suggest getting them while they are available.

They also have steam decals

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=87-106&Category_Code=NW

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

Re - respraying a new haven model

I'm sure you're aware of this but just in case you're not. The new haven gp9's had extra water tanks on the running board which the photo example nw ones don't appear to feature.

Looks like this is going to be a very interesting layout, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Re - respraying a new haven model

I'm sure you're aware of this but just in case you're not. The new haven gp9's had extra water tanks on the running board which the photo example nw ones don't appear to feature.

Looks like this is going to be a very interesting layout, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Interested in what you said about New Haven GP9's....

Has anyone released the correct body with the water tanks?

I've just checked my one and it's not got them!

So - that'll be something else to get modified then!

Thanks

Withers publishing is your friend

http://www.dieselera.com/

If you are goiing to be modelling N&W GP9s, then Diesel Era Vol24#3/4/5 have the three N&W parts of their ongowing GP9 series

http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3247710921/diesel-era%3A-volume-24-number-3

http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3247700071/diesel-era%3A-volume-24-number-4

http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3247696141/diesel-era%3A-volume-24-number-5

It is a fair bit cheaper than the N&W diesel books (which are apparently no longer available)

The Southern book is nice, if quite expensive

http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3426664235/diesels-of-the-southern-railway%3A-1939---1982

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Interested in what you said about New Haven GP9's....

Has anyone released the correct body with the water tanks?

I've just checked my one and it's not got them!

So - that'll be something else to get modified then!

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I believe the athearn genesis model due for release next year has the correct tanks and raised walkway.

Regards,

Neil

Thank you for the info about the GP9's I wasn't aware this is all very new for me. Model junction have the new haven GP9's listed that's why I've thought about that one.

Il do my best to source a Pennsylvania model and then maybe another suitable candidate for a respray. Hopefully Athearn will do the correct N&W versions at some point.

Would the Pennsylvania model be right for a repaint?

Until I really learn the differences between the diesels I think il just have to wait until the correct models come out. The Pennsylvania RR can stay on the list as the N&W leased a few of their's.

Back to the layout, I'm going to use Peco Code 83 on a the scenic section and code 100 on the storage roads. I never thought I'd be buying code 100 again !! Il get some Shinohara code 100 to 83 transition lengths to bridge the gap between the to rail types. On the scenic section I'm going to try & replicate the prototypical off set rail joints. What lengths would the rails be?

I would imagine for your prototype/period rail would typically be in 39ft. lengths. Earlier periods had used 30 and then 33ft lengths, some roads had used longer rails but discovered handling could be a problem when a lot of track maintenance required manual labor. The Norfolk and Western was starting to use continuous welded rail in the 1950s, see http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1950/09/03/page/48/article/the-welded-rail

Rails worn at the ends could be cropped to remove the wear typical at joints, so you might find shorter lengths especially on secondary lines.

Source: NMRA reprint of Railway Track and Maintenance manual from the late 1920s, and the Chicago Tribune article, which I thought displayed a reasonably technical grasp of the topic.

There are a number of sources for joint bars including Andy Reichert's Proto 87 stores and Details West. Central Valley makes some nice parts for adding detail to turnouts. A little work allied with observations from period photographs can go a long way to improving RTR track.

Thanks for the reply, regarding the track joints I will probably use a small V file to make the joints then use cosmetic fish plates ( is that also the U.S. Term? ) to dress them up.

My order for the transfers has gone through so at least one Alco RS3 will get a respray

It’s amazing the different weight of rail one sees on secondary lines:

post-9016-0-92171100-1435048125_thumb.jpg

New Hope, PA, former “Reading” secondary (where they filmed the original movie “The Perils of Pauline” - just up the line).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Don't know if you care or not, but you asked.

The RS-3 was the first model that could be considered a "new generation" model when they were released in the early-mid 1980s. After begging for Alcos for years we finally got an out-of-the-box RS-3 from not one, but three manufacturers - Atlas, Stewart, and Model Die Casting.

All three have become somewhat long in the tooth and frankly each of the three of them have some issues - a couple of which don't reveal themselves until you try to decal certain sections of the model. Shouldn't be an issue with N&Ws paint scheme.

If I remember correctly N&W's RS-3s were all Phase III versions of the locomotive - which has a completely different air filter intake arrangement on the sides of the long hood. The only commercial HO model made with that arrangement was the old Stewart shell. I understand there's a "state of the art" RS-3  coming that will hopefully correct all the issues and at long last give us a decent Phase III RS-3.

Marty

I've had an email from Broadway Limited & they should be doing some new runs of both the A & J to paragon 3 standards next year. I shall be having An A & hopefully a pair of J's

The RS3 is the brand new model that's due out in a few months from Atlas, it does state that this run with have the water cooled exhaust stack as opposed to air cooled

Edited by steve fay