Petrol/fuel tankers in the 40s/50s/60s

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

A D61xx! Did you make it to Mallaig?

David

Not only did we make it to Mallaig but I grabbed a footplate trip on it from Mallaig to Fort William and back to Morar, it went rather well.  Missed supper in the camping coach as a result but had some excellent fish & chips just outside the station at Fort William so no problem.   With the nearish exception of coming up the Thames Valley during a time of power strikes in the late '60s I have never seen anywhere so completely without light as coming over the West Highland Extension in the dark - the dim signal lamps stood out superbly.

• Like 6

• 4 years later...

There used to be model 'Power' tankers in green. I always wondered if these were authentic (I suspect not).

During the war the tank wagons were  pooled and painted grey (how quickly is another matter). Changes to the regulations about barrier vehicles would also have taken time to filter through. It would have been preferable to have the wagons even if not needed rather than the other way round.

I can remember rectangular tar wagons from when I lived in Bristol (50s). They were uniform dirty black with no discernable lettering. I always wanted a model and obtained a resin body from somewhere*, which ran on a short Trix Twin underframe - Now upgraded to the Slater's kit. The lettering went on skew....

*No idea as to make or where it came from (possibly ERG).

Edited by Il Grifone

Remember 1942-1945 Aviation fuel was shipped in huge quantities to the 'Bomber Counties' of Lincolnshire and Norfolk prior to each raid. All done as unobtrusively as possible so as not to alert the enemy. The same goes from bombs, which I think were carried in sheeted open wagons. It's a long time since I talked with my late mother, an LNER Goods clerk 1937-1950, about 'the war'.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GeoffAlan said:

... It's a long time since I talked with my late mother, an LNER Goods clerk 1937-1950, about 'the war'.

The bomber base supply line had elements in it of the now globally applied 'Just in Time' system. There's a line in one of the memoirs that the mines (or 'bouncing bombs') for the dams raid were still warm from the explosives filling as they were fitted to 617's Lancasters.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
deblundering

• 1 month later...

Funny , but no mention of "Pool " petrol.  At the start of ww2 all the fuel companies and the government 

met and agreed to "pool" all their resources. One of the Foyle episodes featured fraud in the delivering of oil and the road tankers had "pool" painted on the lorries.

If you google pool petrol a good history and description available. Inc colours

Pete

22 hours ago, Pete smith said:

Funny , but no mention of "Pool " petrol.  At the start of ww2 all the fuel companies and the government 

met and agreed to "pool" all their resources. One of the Foyle episodes featured fraud in the delivering of oil and the road tankers had "pool" painted on the lorries.

If you google pool petrol a good history and description available. Inc colours

Pete

Pool is mentioned.

Dave

Can I, rather cheekily, ask about some 1930s liveries, on model wagons made at that time, in order to avoid spending £60 on books that I will only look at once?

Laving aside Hornby, who were aiming at the toy market, so made some in fictitious liveries, the more ‘scale’ makers still included a couple of “not buff” petrol wagons in their ranges, notably a dark green with cream and red logo Mobil “gargoyle” livery. No red stripe. Does this have any basis in fact?

And, “Redline Glico”, which is grey/blue with a red stripe, and I always understood to be a genuine ‘bending the rules’ livery?

Edited by Nearholmer

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

For anyone interested in getting hold of the excellent reference book "Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain" by Tourrett, brand new copies are currently being offered by PostScript Books at £14.99 (RRP £33.00); see: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/petroleum-rail-tank-wagons

(No connection other than as a long term satisfied customer!).

Tony

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

For anyone interested in getting hold of the excellent reference book "Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain" by Tourrett, brand new copies are currently being offered by PostScript Books at £14.99 (RRP £33.00); see: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/petroleum-rail-tank-wagons

Tony

To save anyone asking, it is the revised edition with revised text and more drawings.

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

If anyone looking for this book happens to be in the Bakewell area then Maxwell Books (near the river bridge to the market) have copies at £9.99. 

There were 4 left on Bank Holiday Monday

Andy