Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

... I can recall marvelling at the kit built locos and coaches used on the model back-in-the-day – now they are almost all available or shortly to be available R-T-R.

Slightly tangential, but these 'wonderful' layouts and models featured in the magazines in the 1960s were often rather disappointing when seen at shows. Usually they still looked good, but half the locos didn't run at all well, and those that did run reliably were often 'coffee grinders'! I fully include myself in this category, having built a few coffee grinders of my own! The difference now is that RTR routinely offers quiet and smooth running that one sweated blood to achieve with the relatively poor and expensive mechanism resources of circa fifty years ago.

• Like 1

30/09/16!!!?? Really? I thought they were much closer than that. I don't need one, but memories of looking at the SR  section of my combine in 1960, I'd like one. I thought they were much closer, will we see the Q6 first?

( Those I do need!).

Cheers from Oz,

HNY to all my readers !

Peter C.

30/09/16!!!?? Really? I thought they were much closer than that. I don't need one, but memories of looking at the SR  section of my combine in 1960, I'd like one. I thought they were much closer, will we see the Q6 first?

( Those I do need!).

Cheers from Oz,

HNY to all my readers !

Peter C.

The 700's looked close for a number of months...

• RMweb Gold

The 2015 range ones (R3333-R3335) are due at the end of the month.

WHOOOP WHOOOOOP !!!!

WHOOOP WHOOOOOP !!!!

I agree! I've pre-ordered a LSWR one for less than £20.00 more than the Oxford ones and think it's well worth that not to have to start 'cutting and shutting' it about to lose the 'solid block' under the boiler! 

Although the Adams Radials are due at the end of the month this does not mean they are going to be available. On the eHattons' web site it said they were due on 1 Oct 15, then 1 Dec 15 and now Jan - Feb 2016. Their price has dropped from £119.99 to £111.10 so it looks like the reverse of the Hattons' pre-order saga. Rails is offering them for 105.50.

Oxfordrail have sold out of their first batch of Radials but are producing a few more. It may be a good strategy for Hornby to wait until Oxfordrail's Radials have been sold before selling theirs. The Hornby model looks better than the Oxfordrail version but we don't yet know if it will perform better. 

Although the Adams Radials are due at the end of the month this does not mean they are going to be available. On the eHattons' web site it said they were due on 1 Oct 15, then 1 Dec 15 and now Jan - Feb 2016. Their price has dropped from £119.99 to £111.10 so it looks like the reverse of the Hattons' pre-order saga. Rails is offering them for 105.50.

Oxfordrail have sold out of their first batch of Radials but are producing a few more. It may be a good strategy for Hornby to wait until Oxfordrail's Radials have been sold before selling theirs. The Hornby model looks better than the Oxfordrail version but we don't yet know if it will perform better. 

I think we are all aware of the 'flexibility' needed when assessing Hornby's 'due in by' dates.  However I cannot see any reason why they should wait for Oxford Rail to sell out.  It's much more likely I feel that they will want to get their superior, in fidelity to the prototype if nothing else, model into the shops asap.  

After all the next Oxford release, the LSWR one, is also 'expected January', and I would imagine that Oxford Rail are desperately trying to get in first.  Despite initially having been happy to see Oxford Rail coming up with this model I feel that their blunder in not having 'daylight' under the boiler will be a major factor for many modellers.  As I said above, ordering a Hornby LSWR model for about £15.00 more than the Oxford was a 'no brainer' for me in terms of having to alter and then paint match a new boiler lower half.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One should never count ones radials before they are um.......released. I can't help thinking that there may be a few Oxford radials going onto a certain auction site on the release of the Hornby job.

Personally, I can't wait.

This a loco I have been fond of since I was a youngster. This is why I am prepared to wait for the right model.

Rob

post-14122-0-17232700-1452016157_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 5

Whilst we do not know if the Hornby radial will better per se running wise, I can tell you that my S15, J15 and J50 have been better runners than Oxfordrails. Not much for sure, but they are quieter and slightly smoother out of the box.

Of course this is Oxfords first pure foray into British RTR, a good start but could do better as a teacher would say.

I see no advantage to wait for someone to sell theirs before selling yours, unless yours pops along 5 years later and is a generation superior all round. In this case, both are tooled up at nearly the same time. If Hornby have them then you can bet they will release them providing they feel happy that their model is better all round.

I will say this though, both makes have given us an 8 pin DCC socket in the bunker which is useless for anyone doing sound and probably not too great for plain DCC either. Come on, these small locos should be using 6 pin....

My Oxford model won,t be on ebay when I get the Hornby ones. The first run represents the preserved member just prior to preservation.

As one who bought an Oxford version I am very pleased, mine runs well and the only defects were the lack of light under the boiler, and the white handrails had to be painted, but for the price I thought it very good, and have also bought a Rails-weathered version, although I doubt 30583 in late crest was commonly begrimed, in earlier BR days I think it may well have been.

I expect the LSWR Hornby model to be quite impressive, fairground green to my eyes just like the restored 488.

Here for comparison is the Rails weathered version, please note, edited pic.

Edited by Andy Y
Heavily edited image removed of Oxford product. I'm getting several complaints again over spurious images.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Agreed. 11th March. On a positive note it gives me a chance to build the layout......

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me when 30582-4 each gained the later BR crest please?

Just trying to decide which I like most!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

PM Graham Muz.....he's the finest resource available.....for Hornby themselves as well as us mere mortals.

• RMweb Gold

From looking at published photos,

30582 looks to have had a repaint between July and early September 1960. Photos show early crest July and by 10th September it looks freshly repainted with late crest.

30583 has late crest in June 1959.

30584 has early crest as late as June 1960.

Rob.

As one who bought an Oxford version I am very pleased, mine runs well and the only defects were the lack of light under the boiler, and the white handrails had to be painted, but for the price I thought it very good, and have also bought a Rails-weathered version, although I doubt 30583 in late crest was commonly begrimed, in earlier BR days I think it may well have been.

I expect the LSWR Hornby model to be quite impressive, fairground green to my eyes just like the restored 488.

Here for comparison is the Rails weathered version, please note, edited pic.

attachicon.gif30583_adams_Portrait60_5abcdef_crop2_r1200.jpg

Mine had a warped running plate and bent buffer. The latter I put right, however the general build left me feeling a tad disappointed, a bit like when I got a 72Xx. In fairness it is better than the 72Xx. The Oxfordrail is good value and a good first model on the market. Just tighten up QC, and avoid blocking daylight etc on future models and they will be there. Equally in fairness the Hornby one needs to be better to justify the price difference.

I think both will be a challenge to convert to DCC sound however.

• RMweb Gold

From looking at published photos,

30582 looks to have had a repaint between July and early September 1960. Photos show early crest July and by 10th September it looks freshly repainted with late crest.

30583 has late crest in June 1959.

30584 has early crest as late as June 1960.

Rob.

30584 never got the later emblem.

J.

I do have a fondness for the SR Wartime Black livery. Makes a change in my opinion and it'd save me money on having to get an Adams refurbished into Wartime Black as well. The same goes with the SR School "Shrewsbury" Hornby are doing Wartime Black. Prior to me learning this I was originally planning on doing Shewsbury in Wartime Black...!! Saved me money this has :D

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

I don't think it has been mentioned but the first batch (R3333 - R3335) is now due 18th May. The train pack (R3398) is due 19th June. The Second batch (R3422 & R3423) is due 3rd October. Dates from the relevant Hornby web pages.

Edited by Paul.Uni