Static Grass

• RMweb Gold

I made a "flocker" from the bog standard fly swatter.  It works for me and applies 4mm and 6mm flock quite successfully all for less than £3, we happened to have an old tea strainer lying around.   For my next trick the resistor will be changed to a lesser value.

Question why is everybody referred to as "guys"

Mike

• 1 month later...

Purchased a budget applicator and some grass from a small supplier (DoubleO Scenics) who was at the Peterborough exhibition last weekend.

I only have a small layout and do not need to do swathes of grass. I couldn't justify the cost of the larger applicators. It therefore suits my needs perfectly, and I'm already getting some quite good results.

No connection to the firm, just very pleased with the product.

post-17874-0-48531600-1445276622.jpg

Is my problem because my grass is on paper mache base and therefore can't get a realy good earth  :scratchhead:

Jimikelly, I don't think that's the problem because some of my hills are papier mache  (about 6 strip layers of newspaper each stuck down with PVA to make a nice hard shell) and my applicator and grass has worked well on it.

I was advised by the very helpful man from DoubleO Scenics that it is important to get good conductivity through the glue.  I brush on approx.70/30 mix of Copydex/water and apply it quite thickly.  You need to make sure the nail that the crocodile clip goes on to is touching the glue. 

For doing small areas he advised to make a probe instead of using the nail.  His words: "If you have a length of 1mm (approx.) brass rod 4"-6" ish. (or similar) you attach the crocodile clip to one end then insulate the rod (i.e. electrical tape) leaving about 4mm exposed at the end. Making sure you only hold the insulated part you can then just touch each area of adhesive as you move along  applying the grass."  I did that but insulated the rod with heat shrink tube instead of tape as I was afraid of the tape slipping and me touching it and getting a shock! 

It has worked very well for me doing small areas of grass.

Jimikelly, I notice you live in Scotland, do you have soft water ? The electrical conductivity of water varies around the country depending upon the amount of "natural impurities" in it. Harder water is more conductive than soft water. Sea water, for instance is about a million times more conductive than deionized water. Try adding a little salt to your glue/water mix.

Brian

• 4 years later...

Hi folks, previously I used a Noch Grade master version 1 on n gauge scenery and it worked a treat. Started using biggers fibres on a ok gauge layout and they seem to have hard time standing up. 12mm especially. I am trying out woodland scenics stuff for the first time and am not getting good results. I have a new 9v battery in too. Any ideas, is the original grass master up to the task, the woodland fibres seem much thicker the Nochs offerings?