Request for Information: VGA Wagon Underframe Information (was previously Interior Details)

Grampus

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

I wondered if anybody could help with some information concerning VGA interiors, please?  My reason for asking is that I recently acquired one of the old Roy Gould VGA kits, which I intend to  build as a static cameo with a door slid back and a cargo of beer kegs (or something similarly medicinal!) being unloaded by forklift.  It should look nice parked down the end of a siding and will make a handy alternative buffer stop!  ( NB.  I have no wish to try to make it a 'runner'! I have several Bachmann examples - I just could not bear to chop one up!) 

I found some great photographs on 'Rivercider's' wonderful  'Western Region 1980s' Freight' thread (thank you very much indeed!)  which I am using as inspiration: however, it is difficult to make out the specifics.  It looks as though there is an interior lining of some sort: I am assuming plywood or similar, perhaps akin to your average 'white van'?    However, it looks as though it might be painted - pale grey, perhaps?  - but difficult to tell in black and white.  Equally, I can see nothing of the floor detail - I am guessing it would be similar?

Whilst I can cover much of it up with beer kegs, pallets, etc, it would be nice to get it right if at all possible.  Any insights you might be able to offer would be much appreciated, please.  Many thanks.  

Hopefully, 

Paul

Edited by Grampus

Those photos are pretty much as I remember them (and the earlier air-braked vans); floor, ends, and insides of doors lined with ply. That on the floor would have scoring perpendicular to the sides, where pallets would have been pushed together, as well as having a 'dirty' finish. Sides and ends would be fairly pristine, except where a shifted load might have caught them.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the comments about the 1980s freight thread.

I did not take any colour photos of VGAs that day, so they are the best efforts I have.

I do remember that the unloading and loading going on that day was impressively quick.

Also when the Showerings traffic was loaded they needed to secure the load as the van was not full, they used sheets of plywood that had presumably already arrived as packing.

When they needed a sheet to stand vertically against the load they found it did not fit due to the roof profile of the VGA, so they lay they sheet down flat on the VGA floor

with a corner of the sheet overhanging outside the van, then dropped the forklift blades down on it like a guillotine to chop the corner off the plywood sheet to make it fit! 

cheers

I don't have any VGA interiors, but I do have ones of a twin cargowaggon that I suspect will be similar (structurally) - I can't share them in public due to the location but if you're interested PM me your email address and i'll send you a copy.

Edited by Glorious NSE

Sorry I can't help; when I planned the kit nobody ever thought of modelling the interior! Nice to know some of my kits are still around!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dear all,

a big 'thank you' collectively for all the information you have provided: that really helps and will certainly enable me to get on with the plastic-bashing (I have already made a start, cutting one of the sides in half and fettling all the bits and bobs - quite refreshing: I feel like a proper modeller again!).  As and when I have something worth looking at I will post some snaps.

Rivercider,  I love the story of 'trimming' the plywood packing by forklift - I must try and incorporate that into the cameo - you can't make that sort of detail up!......  :-)

Roy, I am enjoying your kit: it still looks good and certainly suits my purposes.  I hope to do it justice.  

Thanks again all, 

Happy Modelling.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any VGA interiors, but I do have ones of a twin cargowaggon that I suspect will be similar (structurally) - I can't share them in public due to the location but if you're interested PM me your email address and i'll send you a copy.

Dear Martyn,

thanks for your kind offer.  You have a PM.

Cheers,

Paul

Sorry I can't help; when I planned the kit nobody ever thought of modelling the interior! Nice to know some of my kits are still around!

I wish you hadn't put the speedlink/railfreight boards moulded into the doors - I'd love to use the bits for a Danzas ferry van.

I've scanned 3 versions of the Railfreight WT6 wagon data sheet, I think they show dove grey ceiling and ends, with Aluminium unpainted sides and a plywood floor, but with grey painted metal edges.

Whilst scanning these I remembered a series of videos about the closure of Shildon, see about 1.16 into this part >    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6fix-bUYfI

Jon

post-336-0-17095700-1434481830_thumb.jpg

post-336-0-62243500-1434481832_thumb.jpg

post-336-0-68656200-1434481834_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 3

I wish you hadn't put the speedlink/railfreight boards moulded into the doors - I'd love to use the bits for a Danzas ferry van.

I've scanned 3 versions of the Railfreight WT6 wagon data sheet, I think they show dove grey ceiling and ends, with Aluminium unpainted sides and a plywood floor, but with grey painted metal edges.

Whilst scanning these I remembered a series of videos about the closure of Shildon, see about 1.16 into this part >    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6fix-bUYfI

Jon

attachicon.gifvga1.jpg

attachicon.gifvga2.jpg

attachicon.gifvga3.jpg

I did make two Danzas vans from Roy's kits- filing away the moulded boards was a bit of a job, but easier than building the entire body from scratch.

When K's made the moulds for me they didn't put the boards on as they weren't shown on the Derby works drawing. Later pics showed them, so they were added on in the early stages of production.

The plywood sides seem to be of the same material as refurbished Routemaster floors!

• RMweb Premium

Jon

attachicon.gifvga1.jpg

attachicon.gifvga2.jpg

attachicon.gifvga3.jpg

Jon,

thanks - that's brilliant: the video also provides some good material on how the doors actually slide and overlay each other - I was wondering!

Much appreciated.

Regards, 

Paul

• 1 year later...

Still have all 3 or my VGA kits running. one of the first kits that I ever built. I'm guessing that must have been around 91. Think I bought it at Bath Road open day.

Cheers Roythebus. :drink_mini:  

Trailrage

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

595107909_20210202_193228(002).jpg.b5bdc4175aa47ae13b842f3d667847a0.jpgEvening all,

just frightened myself when I realised how long ago I initiated this thread; the pace of my modelling is truly glacial.  However, taking advantage of some of the time available I have managed to progress my VGA 'buffer stop' somewhat.  Thanks again to all who were kind enough to contribute images previously, which have helped enormously.  I have now just about reached the stage whereby I need to paint the inside before I start closing up the van.  Although it doesn't look as though a lot else has been done I have also modified the lower edges of the doors to remove the mechanisms and then scratch-built replacements which I have affixed to the solebars; I have also modified the headstocks to better reflect the shape of the prototype.  I'm hoping that posting on here might in turn spur me to get on now and finish the blessed thing! 

20210202_193352 (002).jpg

20210202_193713 (002).jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Grampus changed the title to Request for Information: VGA Wagon Underframe Information (was previously Interior Details)
  • RMweb Premium

Dear all,

a further question if I may, please.  Does anybody have any details of the layout of the more prominent elements of the brake equipment underneath the VGA?  Other than one general arrangement drawing which shows the approximate location of an air tank (though not its relation to the wagon centreline) I have found nothing to date; and the Bachman model is no help at all, being completely devoid of brake gear detail!  Granted the deep solebars would mask much of it anyway, but it would nice to at least hint at some of the under-gubbins - distributor, air tank, etc.  Any helpful steers much appreciated, please.  TVM.

Best wishes,

Paul - very occasional wagon modeller :jester: