Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Monks Bay Model Railway for sale

Andy Y

I've had an email this morning with sad news:

It is with deep regret that I have to inform all our friends - enthusiasts and followers, that Monks Bay Model Railway has closed its doors and will no longer be a model railway attraction, due to serious ill health of the owner Mr. Mike McDonald.

I would like to thank everyone who has made a contribution to this attraction, whether large or small. It has for the last five years given many people a significant amount of entertainment, pleasure and satisfaction.

You, the general public, have voiced this on numerous occasions and the compliments in the visitors book speak for themselves. We agree with all of you that Monks Bay Model Railway was simply the best of its kind in the UK. We all have Mike to thank for sharing his lifetime hobby with us.

The railway is up for sale as I write this final newsletter and anyone who wishes to purchase the layout or indeed parts of the layout including locomotives, rolling stock, buidings or scenery please contact one of the people below:-

Mr. Jeff Tomlinson Mablethorpe 01507-479902

Mr. Peter Riggleford Hannah 01507-441828

Many thanks for your input over the life span of Monks Bay.

Kind regards

Jeff Tomlinson

We featured Monks Bay in BRM August 2014, it includes an extensive list of locos and rolling stock and magnificent Alan Downes' buildings based on Mablethorpe's sea front.

1_Monks_Bay_Detail_4a.jpg

1_Monks_Bay_Detail_10_Canberra-s.jpg

1_Monks_Bay_Feature_2s.jpg

1_Monks_Bay_Feature_3s.jpg

Sad news but I hope buyers can be found.

• RMweb Premium

Sad news indeed - Mike was a one time member of the Mickleover Model Railway Group when he lived locally and I have an Alan Downes Farmhouse that came from Mike's layout which he dismantled before moving to Mablethorpe where I believe he was employed by the local council before building Monks Bay and opening it to the public. A hidden gem at the back of the funfair with a tea room attached.

Further details and photos here http://www.vintagecoach.com/monksbay/home.htm

Went to Mablethorpe about two years ago - I thought it the best O gauge layout I'd ever seen.

Very upset to read of Mike's ill health. He made us very welcome and we spent about two hours chatting (and trainspotting!)

A phenomenal layout which actually I think deserves to be in the National Collection. I reckoned it was a lot better than the O Gauge behind the glass at the NRM.

Maybe less of a bargain when you see the conditions

Viewing is essential as this layout has effectively been built into the room and will require a great deal of work to split into manageable portions for removal. It MUST be cleared from site by 29th February 2016.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I do hope it will be on show again.

I have been to Mablethorpe to see it in action, and spent ages chatting about it to Mike.

It would be nice if the owner of Wroxham Miniature Worlds saw it and bought it for his attraction as it was a stunning O-gauge layout.

It would make a great addition to what they already have.

A real shame, it would be nice to know where it's ended up.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...