70/80s Engineering Trains

jamessolomon

Looking for a small consist for an engineering train to be pulled by a spare 47 i have and was wondering what sort of engineering trains ran around. Iv seen one that could use the Hornby crane painted yellow as part of a consist but iv only just started my research and was looking for some knowledge from the good crowds on here

• Like 1

A short take of the following would be possible, with or without brake van or a mix of each as they could be working to a depot for maintenance

Grampus

Catfish/ dogfish

Salmon

Ex-16t mineral wagons (slots cut in side)

Ex-12T pipe wagons (Mercury blue)

Well wagon with or without excavator/ dozer mixed with famous or 16Ts

These are all vacuum braked.

A short take of the following would be possible, with or without brake van or a mix of each as they could be working to a depot for maintenance

Grampus

Catfish/ dogfish

Salmon

Ex-16t mineral wagons (slots cut in side)

Ex-12T pipe wagons (Mercury blue)

Well wagon with or without excavator/ dozer mixed with famous or 16Ts

These are all vacuum braked.

Mermaids too

Depends where your layout is set, but don't forget that there are more sorts of "engineers" than track.

Signals engineers and power/electrification engineers had fleets too, and power engineers on BR(S) had two cranes, an ex breakdown crane (The Red Baron) for lifting heavy transformers etc, and a smaller Atlas hydraulic for lighter pieces of equipment.

Typical trains might be:

- open wagons filled with concrete cable troughing, which came from Taunton to anywhere in the south of England;

- opens and four wheeled well wagons with electrical kit, plus crane, plus mess coach (Maunsell bogie coach or converted PMV);

- cable laying wagons, plus empty opens,which provided a fitted head and tail. But, the cable layers were unique conversions of other wagons (Weltrol, or some strange things that were initially built during WW2 to carry aircraft wings) so need extra research.

47s were very rare on BR(S) engineering trains until the early/mid eighties, but would be OK on a train of concrete from Taunton to wherever engines were changed.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Someone posted shots on flickr of yellow set of coaches withdrawn at Derby with black warning marking along the side below the windows dunno what there for but loked interesting and cheers for the info jus reading through hmrspauls link he posted getting a good idea of what sort of things are what when people mention the different types

And this is one of the BR(S) power engineer's vehicles that I referred to earlier. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/departmental975100/h48c89118#h33677d87

These were converted in the early 80s, prior to which there was only a mess vehicle in a train if a crane was in the rake. No crane, everyone, except the engineer in charge, had to travel to site from the "gathering point" in open wagons, sometimes twenty miles through the moonlit countryside on a freezing night, with only a Tilley lamp for company! The engineer in charge got to ride on the loco.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

I do have a 27 i dug out of the loft i could also use also found some interesting things on pauls site like this HST barrier coach http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/departmental975900/h570b06c4#h570b06c4i coud have on the layout as part of the engineering train. There was this Mk3 that caught my attention because iv never seen one as a laboratory http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/departmental975900/h491feed0#h491feed0, There where also stuff like tool shed for breakdown train with the yellow and hasard thingys along the side and some cranes. I have some LNER Teaks i like but the BG is terrible and was wondering could it be used as a conversion for something (pic to follow when i get up to the layout later).

I have one set of Mk3s loco haulled and the other with 125s so a HTS Barrier coach could work and look nice in the TMD just looking for something to go with it like an enginering train and i could have the barrier on the end of the train. Might go out tomorrow and purchase the crane to start on if i dont find much else to do and the yellow from the humbrol range

• 1 year later...

Depends where your layout is set, but don't forget that there are more sorts of "engineers" than track.

Signals engineers and power/electrification engineers had fleets too, and power engineers on BR(S) had two cranes, an ex breakdown crane (The Red Baron) for lifting heavy transformers etc, and a smaller Atlas hydraulic for lighter pieces of equipment.

Typical trains might be:

- open wagons filled with concrete cable troughing, which came from Taunton to anywhere in the south of England;

- opens and four wheeled well wagons with electrical kit, plus crane, plus mess coach (Maunsell bogie coach or converted PMV);

- cable laying wagons, plus empty opens,which provided a fitted head and tail. But, the cable layers were unique conversions of other wagons (Weltrol, or some strange things that were initially built during WW2 to carry aircraft wings) so need extra research.

47s were very rare on BR(S) engineering trains until the early/mid eighties, but would be OK on a train of concrete from Taunton to wherever engines were changed.

Kevin

Class 33 the usual traction?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depends where you were; 33s on Southern Region and later Western, but I would have expected 37s in the 70s on the WR, at least in the South Wales area.  Elsewhere I am out of my comfort zone knowledge wise!

• Like 1

If you get a chance to see Paul Wade's 'Tonbridge West Yard' in action, you'll see a wonderful selection of varied engineers' wagons, representing all the different engineering services of the Southern in the period from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s (I may have got the time-line slightly wrong, but someone here will correct me) . His models range from the commonplace, such as ballast wagons and rail carriers, to the exotic ( Weltrols with 'cherry pickers', and other wagons with HIAB cranes to handle lineside equipment) . Many of the vehicles are to be seen in correctly-formed trains.

The wagons for carrying crated aircraft components that 'Nearholmer' referred to were coded 'Parrots' ( http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/976xxx

Should you wish to have an idea of the variety of types of wagons to be found in 'Departmental' use, you could do a lot worse than looking here:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdepartmental  . Make sure you've a pot of tea and some biscuits to hand, as you could be in there for ages.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...