RMweb

Upton Parkway

NSE DAZ

It might be worth checking to see that your bullhead rail is the right way up - i made this mistake, and although it looks as though there isn't much difference in the two heads, there is enough!

Hi Gaz. Once bitten, twice shy! I managed to lay the disused siding on Ripple Lane the wrong way up! You're right, there's not a lot in it, but it made me paranoid to double check. The railhead is of a slightly "rounder" profile which will slide into the chairs with difficulty which is where I went wrong. Right way up, it does go on a little easier so I have made sure it's the right way up this time. I think with bullhead as opposed to flatbottom, there's just more of the chair gripping the rail, so there's more resistance sliding the track base on. Anyhow, done now.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

Glad to help, a problem shared and all that!!

Gaz.

Hi Gaz. Once bitten, twice shy! I managed to lay the disused siding on Ripple Lane the wrong way up! You're right, there's not a lot in it, but it made me paranoid to double check. The railhead is of a slightly "rounder" profile which will slide into the chairs with difficulty which is where I went wrong. Right way up, it does go on a little easier so I have made sure it's the right way up this time. I think with bullhead as opposed to flatbottom, there's just more of the chair gripping the rail, so there's more resistance sliding the track base on. Anyhow, done now.

A mixed bag of mainly electrical goodies arrived over the last few days. Being a somewhat lazy modeller, I really couldn't be bothered to keep flipping the boards over. Cosmetic odds and sods like dummy point motors and trunking will have to wait. While the boards are wrong-side-up, it makes sense to get everything wired. The DCC bus wires are in place, so I now need to fix the solder-free terminals that will connect the boards to the old control panel from the Ripple Lane layout. This will be reversible so can be used at the front of the layout (home) or back (exhibition). I've left it up to Darren to get the control panel's new mimic diagram printed to the correct size (see below). Point control will be somewhat analogue relying on traditional toggle switches. I have enough trouble calling up a decoder-fitted loco, never mind DCC route-setting!

It made economic sense to buy the big 12-pack of Cobalt point motors. Darren only needs 9, but by remarkable coincidence, I need 3 for my little Spanish-themed DCC test track. Result.

post-17811-0-86477400-1480158704.jpg

This is the old control panel as fitted to the abandoned "Ripple Lane". Too good to get rid of, it will get a new mimic diagram as shown below.

post-17811-0-69224900-1480158876.jpg

post-17811-0-36371100-1480159003_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

After a couple of weeks running bus wires etc etc... the Cobalts are now in place and wired and tested. Installation of these is a doddle and I'd be happy to use them again. Each was tested with a single switch after getting the positioning right. Finally I can draw a line under the wiring and move onto scenics! The 21-pin connectors seen in the pictures below are just a handy way of getting all the wiring into the control panel enclosure. At the moment there's a full connector block spare but a few terminals will be used eventually. I'm sure before handing the finished layout over to Darren a few tweaks will be needed but for now I'm done with working underneath the boards.

post-17811-0-16787400-1480682326.jpg

post-17811-0-94865000-1480682326.jpg

post-17811-0-73859000-1480682327.jpg

post-17811-0-62029300-1480682328.jpg

post-17811-0-54416900-1480682329.jpg

Edit: ...forgot to mention... the Cobalts are a little deeper than I thought, so on each baseboard I just need to fit a couple of 40mm softwood runners along the longest length of each board front and rear. Darren plans to support the layout on trestles so this will be ideal. Effectively, it will extend the depth of the baseboard framework from 75mm to 115mm and give a lot more protection in transit.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

Hi Pete

That looks cracking mate very pleased with that  :sungum:  Very neat and tidy very professional, I secretly think you like the electrical work!!  :triniti:

So with the boards and electrics almost complete it's now the best part in my opinion, the scenic's  :senile:

Thanks for the update 

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this is slower going than I'd hoped. Various "life" scenarios are doing their best to interrupt modelling time. Oh, and Tillig pointwork should come with a health warning along the lines of "Using Tillig can seriously fray your nerves". Turn the clock back a few months and I would be advising Darren to stick with Peco Code 75. He'd be a little wealthier too!

So... all pointwork is now down. I thought it was "down" ages ago, but some of it had to come back up again. Long story... let's not go there. Wired... check. Tested... check.

The depth of the framework has been extended a little to allow more clearance for the Cobalt point motors. The platform structures are now in place. The yellow tape you can see marks out the cable troughing runs. That will be next, along with a smattering of orange conduit to carry cables from one side of the track to the other.

I want to "edge" the platforms and ramps before ballasting. A mix of concrete and brick edging will be used to hopefully replicate platforms that have been "patched up" and/or renewed over time. Once the ballasting is complete (ugh), 3rd rail can be added and then I actually get to do something I enjoy... scenics! Or "urban decay" might be a better description. No green fields and pretty watermills here. Road bridge, platform surfaces, car parking etc etc.

Life will no doubt conspire to get in Upton Parkway's way again, but hopefully updates will now be a little more frequent.

post-17811-0-59256400-1485257891.jpg

post-17811-0-59494800-1485257892.jpg

post-17811-0-80384700-1485257893.jpg

post-17811-0-96300300-1485257894.jpg

post-17811-0-08171200-1485257896.jpg

post-17811-0-96960100-1485257896.jpg

post-17811-0-78876500-1485257897.jpg

post-17811-0-86668400-1485257898.jpg

post-17811-0-10283300-1485257900.jpg

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

Hi all

Just to let you know that Upton Parkway is still going on behind the scenes. I have a few PM's from concerned rmwebber's that this project has finished it truly has not.

Pete has been busy and I have been flat out on the exhibition circuit with Croydon North Street (8 exhibitions already completed this year!!) As soon as we have more to show you guy's will be kept in the loop.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

PS Pete Upton Parkway has just had it's first invite by an rmweb member for January next year!!! No pressure my friend

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi

I like the electrics under you layout and the use of the 21 pin connectors, caught my eye as they would solve a problem on my layout.  Can I ask where you got your from?  I have searched the web and there appears to be very little UK suppliers.  Have you gone for a male to female lead as well?

Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darren

Hope all is well as I see you’ve pulled UP from the show? How’s the bus by the way?

Hi Ian

Hope you are well.

Due to other commitments myself and Pete have made the decision to no longer continue with the build of Upton Parkway. It was not an easy decision to make but we had to be realistic with our hectic lifestyles it was just not going to be achievable. I am fully booked this year and to be honest up to the end of 2019 with Croydon North Street taking up a lot of my free time. Being out on the road with this North Street has really eaten into my family time so having a second layout on the circuit could mean a divorce would have been on the cards!!! (I have a understanding wife really).

So its the end of the line for Upton Parkway thanks for all your interest and input with this venture. 

All the best 

Darren NSE DAZ

Edited by NSE DAZ

Are you selling it on or breaking it up?

Sadly, the blame for the demise of Upton lies squarely on my shoulders. Daz has had incredible patience and he knew in advance there would be a domestic upheaval at my end that would see work on the layout slow to a crawl. Unfortunately, no-one could have foreseen the series of domestic calamaties that would make the last part of 2016 and all of 2017 a total nightmare. The least of my problems was a total lack of space to erect and work on a layout that totals 18 feet end-to-end, but that one factor probably caused the death sentence for Upton.

The layout has been scrapped. The traverser will be saved (far too good to waste) and will no doubt see use on another layout one day. All of the Cobalt point motors, electronics and wiring has been stripped out for sale or re-use. My recycling bin is currently full of broken (and expensive) Tillig pointwork. Tillig is so fragile, it proved impossible to lift any of the pointwork without irreversible damage. That probably pains me more than anything else. Lovely to look at, but so very fragile and prone to losing point blades, I won't use it again and would struggle to recommend it to anyone.

Daz is quite happy with Croydon North Street for a year or so yet and has plenty of bookings, but I guess it will need a successor one day. Sadly, although Upton was electrically good and really just requiring scenics and infrastructure, it wasn't to be. My bad.