RMweb

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Pah, punctures - Mrs NHN's car yesterday acquired.....a posidrive screw in a NEW tyre.  Humbug.

Funny Poly should mention MuZ Skorpions, I look after one for friends, it belonged to my bestie who lost his life here in a silly accident, he left it to a friend that visits each year for TT so I keep it alive for him.  It's bight yellow, the sports faired one, one of the loudest singles I have ridden (ART exhaust) and superb to ride.

On the weekly Friday old farts breakfast run yesterday Gordon G (TT Replica holder - he can shift) brought one of his toys.....

1959040046_20220617_1006281.thumb.jpg.a05a30c63f841db5350e6940d1444b1d.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

.... On the weekly Friday old farts breakfast run yesterday Gordon G (TT Replica holder - he can shift) brought one of his toys.....

Oh, I do like that.  Very nice.  Pleased to see that he solved the breather dilemma the same way I did i.e. he too CBA to take it another 8" and secure the now-downward-pointing end to the mudguard with a P-clip.

I note the tax-disc holder on the wrong side of the bike, and am reminded of the time I got stopped by a very grumpy traffic cop on a Saint who had the confounded cheek to allege that I'd been speeding when for once I hadn't.  He couldn't prove it, so reckoned he was booking me instead for tax disc not clearly displayed on nearside, forward of dualseat nose.  That never happened, which was a shame, because when I mugged up on the relevant regs, I learned that the tax disc also had to be displayed behind glass.  His was in a car-type thingy on the inside of his Avon windscreen, clearly visible through the Perspex.  Might have been interesting in court ...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, spikey said:

Oh, I do like that.  Very nice.  Pleased to see that he solved the breather dilemma the same way I did i.e. he too CBA to take it another 8" and secure the now-downward-pointing end to the mudguard with a P-clip.

I note the tax-disc holder on the wrong side of the bike, and am reminded of the time I got stopped by a very grumpy traffic cop on a Saint who had the confounded cheek to allege that I'd been speeding when for once I hadn't.  He couldn't prove it, so reckoned he was booking me instead for tax disc not clearly displayed on nearside, forward of dualseat nose.  That never happened, which was a shame, because when I mugged up on the relevant regs, I learned that the tax disc also had to be displayed behind glass.  His was in a car-type thingy on the inside of his Avon windscreen, clearly visible through the Perspex.  Might have been interesting in court ...

Its as sweet as a nut, and currently oil tight too!  I'll tease him about the breather next week.  He used to race a Koenig sidecar outfit in the TT, mad buqqer, the man can really go. He's also got a lovely 600 Dommi but is having some charging issues with it curre....at the moment.

We still have tax discs on the Isle of Man, but plod don't really care too much about where they are.  They're pretty easy going here, within reason, and generally very bike-friendly for obvious reasons. The fact I used to work for them helps 😉

• Like 4

On 17/06/2022 at 16:28, MrWolf said:

That's the one! Fitted with a Rotax engine, not Sachs. 🙄 There was or perhaps still is one in the Nottingham area.

MZ had the Skorpian, and the prototype had a Rotax engine (and a glued aluminium frame). Production model used a Yamaha engine.

They also gad their own parallel twin 4 stroke engine that was well regarded.

All the best

Katy

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Strange, I was certain that it had some European single cylinder engine. Still, it was over twenty years ago.

Found this picture of the prototype, with the Rotax engine. Don't know why they changed for production. Presume the Rotax engine was more expensive, plus at the end of its life at that stage (Rotax did build a small batch of this engine with a DOHC cylinder head) with them moving to the liquid cooled 650 single in Aprilia and BMW guise.

They still appeal to me.

Never noticed before but looks like the prototype used Yamaha TZR250 wheels and brakes (and maybe even the swinging arm). If you look at the direction of the wheel spokes you can see where the rear wheel was turned around to cope with the chain on the right on the Rotax engine 🤪

All the best

Katy

skorpion2_bw.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still a very good looking bike. I find the styling of a lot of new sports bikes to be over fussy and plasticky.

I'm sure there'd be a market for that with an up to date engine.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still a very good looking bike. I find the styling of a lot of new sports bikes to be over fussy and plasticky.

I'm sure there'd be a market for that with an up to date engine.

I agree. A lot of modern bike have (to me) a very bity design. Lots of little bits poking out. The Skorpian is far smoother and integrated.

Although I might prefer it with a 2 stroke engine!

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

There was me thinking DOHC twin! 

"Bitty" was the word my other half used to describe a new Kawasaki with all the little vents and fins on absolutely every surface.

Followed by "A twelve year olds dream bike"

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Couple of observations now I'm on the laptop rather than my phone ...

Ref the 'erberts posing with that Beeza, I've just noticed the bacon-slicer on the back wheel.   Never seen that before!  Got to be good for an extra 5mph innit ...

And ref the MZ, could that win the award for the most ridiculous pillion footrest position ever?  

• Like 1

Thrown a bit of a fit at my insurers Carole Nash today.

I phoned them up to inform them of my change of address, which was done in a few clicks. 

They then told me that they were going to charge me a £30 administration charge for doing it.

Oh no you're not!

I pointed out that my policy is due for renewal in August and I would be taking my business elsewhere, as well as informing the BSAOC and the VMCC.

After putting me on hold for a few minutes, they said they would waive the charge as a "Good will gesture". 

This is the same company that in 2019 when I told them I was carrying a pillion passenger knocked a fiver off the premium, despite the fact that if we crashed it could be twice the injuries and twice the costs. I guess that they (rightly) assessed that I would be riding slower and more carefully with the memsahib on the back! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Had another gallop on the Electra Glide while the wife was over at my daughters'. This thing is not quiet, although not on a par with the hideously noisy Sportster which comes by here sometimes. 

I'm minded to splash out on some aftermarket 60s-style "rocket" fishtail. Not that they are particularly quiet but they do sound nice on the open road ... and long fishtails just have something extra....

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2022 at 01:46, MrWolf said:

Thrown a bit of a fit at my insurers Carole Nash today.

I phoned them up to inform them of my change of address, which was done in a few clicks. 

They then told me that they were going to charge me a £30 administration charge for doing it.

Oh no you're not!

I pointed out that my policy is due for renewal in August and I would be taking my business elsewhere, as well as informing the BSAOC and the VMCC.

After putting me on hold for a few minutes, they said they would waive the charge as a "Good will gesture". 

This is the same company that in 2019 when I told them I was carrying a pillion passenger knocked a fiver off the premium, despite the fact that if we crashed it could be twice the injuries and twice the costs. I guess that they (rightly) assessed that I would be riding slower and more carefully with the memsahib on the back! 

They used to be good, but are now pretty awful, I hear many reports. 

We're lucky since we moved here, locally underwritten policies are very cheap due to the low theft. I have 6 bikes, 5 classic and one modern, 250 - 800cc, fully comp £118.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

They used to be good, but are now pretty awful, I hear many reports. 

We're lucky since we moved here, locally underwritten policies are very cheap due to the low theft. I have 6 bikes, 5 classic and one modern, 250 - 800cc, fully comp £118.

Carole Nash was at one time the Insurance Officer for the Vintage Motorcycle Club and left to form a separate company which was pretty good. These days they have "gone full commercial" , grown a great deal and largely abandoned their original customer base. 

I used to use them but don't even bother with quotes these days. Footman James have the classic motorcycle market sewn up these days. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

@rockershovel,  I switched to Footman James, their quotes were so much cheaper , the likes of MCE, Bennett’s etc were just ridiculous 

I really don't understand why Bennetts have such a large market share. Perhaps its because so many riders only have one machine these days?

• Agree 1