RMweb

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

That post about the Vincent lawnmower has spoiled my day.  Back in the days when Tony Middlehurst was editing Superbike magazine, I was researching an article about Vincents and I actually ended up finding a really bizarre link between the factory, the lawnmowers and of all things Eric Blair (aka George Orwell).  The link was far more direct than just the film version of "1984" with the Thought Police on Black Knights (Princes?), but can I hell as like think now what it was ... 🙃

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I hope @spikey or someone else wot is literate can find the direct link between Eric Blair (Orwell) and Vincents.

In the meantime, here's someone else's account of the rather sinister Vincent Black Prince.

https://thevintagent.com/2017/07/08/george-orwells-motorcycles/

Those bikes still look sinister almost seventy years on. Orwell was right about the thought police, but they ride a keyboard, not a motorcycle.😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hiya

A friend gave me a 3D printer yesterday (this is the friend who gave me the NS125, and who I gave it back to once mechanically rebuilt)

I was looking at random files to print to try it out and found some indicator stalks that fit on my early Aprilia AF1s and the Gilera NGR250. The originals have a habit of breaking. These indicators are a modular design from CEV, with several different styles of indicator bodies and half a dozen different stalks (2 different fitments and a few different lengths), They were used by a few different makers (Gilera, Aprilia, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha, etc). The indicator body used on the Honda NS125F and the one used on various 1990s Triumphs are relatively easy to buy as pattern parts, but the stalks are too long for the front of the Aprilias, and the rear (along with the NGR250) use the other fitment.

Found an STL file for the shorter stalks with the needed fitment.

So far 3D printed 3 stalks. Will see how they survive.

Spent a bit of time yesterday sorting out 4 indicators (from about 6 in variouis states) for the FZR600. Probably would have been cheaper to buy replacements than use that much time! I swear I bought some matching mounting nuts for them ages ago (M10x1.25 thread) but can't find them so had to order some more.

All the best

Katy

306482865_10160869484612216_7029675022597064911_n.jpg

• Like 6

That looks like a very useful thing to be able to make. I'd like to have had a pound for every broken or mismatched set of indicators I've seen on bikes made in the last forty years. They always seem to be either unobtainable or stupidly expensive and a lot of the generic sets you can buy look like they came out of a bubblegum machine.

If it proves stronger than the originals (which seem to be eggshell china) you might just have a cottage industry.

As for me: Hooray for hand signals!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I hate most of the cheap and nasty aftermarket indicators. They look awful, horrible quality and barely noticeable flash on them.

The Aprilia side stand leaves the bike very close to upright. Hence it falls over to the right easily and breaks the front indicator. But the front stalks on the front seem to survive. The rears for some reason seem to just break with age - not sure if a different plastic.

The FZR had rear indicators which were the same design but 2 different lengths of stalk. I had a spare broken indicator with the right length stalk, and managed to split the stalk and head. Nut on one was badly seized, but managed to get it off without damaging the bit I needed. Then clean everything up with a toothbrush, reassemble and replace the terminals on the wires

All the best

Katy

Edited by Kickstart
  • Like 2

There's a similar problem with old Yamaha's and other bikes such as Norton which used the same pattern indicator. The rear ones are vulnerable to parking knocks, luggage and being kicked when you swing your leg over the saddle. On Diversions they were mounted on the plastic splash guard / number plate mount which tends to crack with age or vibrate itself to bits, though I suspect that like most things it was perfectly good enough for something with a design life of less than a decade.

• Like 3

The indicators I had were a mix of original Yamaha and pattern ones. Strangely, the original Yamaha ones had the reflector and bulb holder holders held inside with small self tapper which had no slot for a screw driver, etc. They came out with pliers (fortunately). The pattern ones had a conventional Philips head on these self tappers which are far easier.

The numberplate mount on the back hadn't cracked, but the nut holding the indicators on was well and truely stuck (I had to cut the nuts off with a Dremel). Definately getting copper slip on the threads at reassembly!

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would so love to see a film of this being taken off the stand and ridden off up the road with a passenger on board.  The more I've thought about that, the less I can fathom out exactly how 'twas done ...

1922.jpg

• Like 4

The Dellow is definitely the better choice.

That looks like another one of those devices designed to combat congestion from someone who isn't really interested in cars or bikes, such as the Sinclair C5, a few people buy them and immediately stash them away hoping that they will become a desirable collector's item.

It could be just me, I'd feel daft driving it. 

I think I'd rather drive that Whitwood, at least you look like an English eccentric driving some strange antique, rather than an obsessed fan of some low budget TV sci fi series...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

...I think I'd rather drive that Whitwood, at least you look like an English eccentric driving some strange antique ...

I'd quite fancy that too.  I've still got an ancient Harris Tweed hacking jacket somewhere and possibly a pipe, so I'd just need a cravat and a ratting hat worn backwards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spikey said:

I'd quite fancy that too.  I've still got an ancient Harris Tweed hacking jacket somewhere and possibly a pipe, so I'd just need a cravat and a ratting hat worn backwards.

Might be possible to wear a thirties fedora behind that windscreen.

10 hours ago, alastairq said:

Or their modern equivalents?

Below is a ''Pulse''....two of which were imported from the USA at the same time as my re-imported Dellow [One shared the container]..

rYSESAV.jpg

The outriggers deploy below a certain speed...IIRC?

Looks as though it has escaped from Blade Runner

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The Dellow is definitely the better choice.

That looks like another one of those devices designed to combat congestion from someone who isn't really interested in cars or bikes, such as the Sinclair C5, a few people buy them and immediately stash them away hoping that they will become a desirable collector's item.

It could be just me, I'd feel daft driving it. 

I think I'd rather drive that Whitwood, at least you look like an English eccentric driving some strange antique, rather than an obsessed fan of some low budget TV sci fi series...

The "Pulse" appears to be a motor vehicle made from a surplus Alpha Jet cockpit.  I know this is the motorcycles and not the cars thread, but the Pulse also reminds me of this pretty special vehicle: 

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-a-car-thread-friend-woods-tryane-ii/

I met Friend once, hardly surprising as he lived only about 3 miles away from us.  A very impressive engineer.

• Like 2