RMweb

GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

Probably a question for Kevin. How did your attach your roof after replacing the glazing? Just glue it on?

Scott

With the supplied glazing removed you loose the means of clipping the roof in place. So I glued just the curved ends, my roof was slightly warped so I was able to glue one end, let it set and using the warp to suit my needs was able to glue the other end later, bent in place, weighed down and left to set.

Sent PM with picture I used for driving end of autocoach - copyright and all that...

Kevin

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin.. Exactly as I thought! Mine is a little warped too, so the same logic should apply. Managed to get some more paint on the roof and also some lining completed last night.

The the posty dropped something through the door. I've have to stop buying locos now, I really do.. I really, really do.. Stop..

post-19113-0-08937900-1521195152_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-29008700-1521195155_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-55906100-1521195157_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Some very nice modelling there, both landscape and Loco.

I was attracted to your thread because of some coincidences,

My Secondary Old School overlooks the old railway LIne, It became  Castledown School before becominig an acadamy

It was a GWR line just 7 miles from Southern who had some running rights,

It had a Courages brewery Depot,

it's only 40 miles from the coast.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wanted to post this earlier, but got carrier away with the Collet shots. 

I got this far with the autocoach last night. I went with the full 'Great Western' on the side of the coach, but now I'm worried it's wrong. 

post-19113-0-49864000-1521208288_thumb.jpg

Looking at pictures on the web the Great Western looks smaller. Have I used the wrong one? Looking at my transfer sheet I can't see the wording any smaller, it's the HMRS sheet.

Or I take the words off, leave the crest and put the large GWR letters over the top, like 190 at Didcot. 

• Like 5

I wanted to post this earlier, but got carrier away with the Collet shots. 

I got this far with the autocoach last night. I went with the full 'Great Western' on the side of the coach, but now I'm worried it's wrong. 

attachicon.gif20180316_134903.jpg

Looking at pictures on the web the Great Western looks smaller. Have I used the wrong one? Looking at my transfer sheet I can't see the wording any smaller, it's the HMRS sheet.

Or I take the words off, leave the crest and put the large GWR letters over the top, like 190 at Didcot. 

Have a look at

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries.html

That will help.

• RMweb Gold

This was one I had to sleep on.. But it just isn't right with that lettering. The other thing that I couldn't escape when I looked in the morning was the fact something didn't line up, I think it's the lining that's slightly wrong, but the Great Western being that big makes it look worse.

So, I did the other side in the GWR with the crest.

post-19113-0-64151100-1521383214_thumb.jpg

I have to say that looks better. So I'm going to clean off the other side and go this way.

While I was hanging around the Collett goods was shunting the yard..

post-19113-0-34822500-1521383287_thumb.jpg

Managed to catch it taking on water after getting the trucks all in place and just waiting for the platform to clear.

post-19113-0-04241900-1521383291_thumb.jpg

Then my train left.. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Going back over Castle's pictures of 190 at Didcot, I've a couple of questions. Are the white lines in the front of the one outside sun visors? They are very perfect all the way around, so I'm not sure.

The shot of it in the shed also looks like there are bars behind the windows? 

Someone has also pointed out the bell should be square to the window it's above, not square to the middle one.

Going back over Castle's pictures of 190 at Didcot, I've a couple of questions. Are the white lines in the front of the one outside sun visors? They are very perfect all the way around, so I'm not sure.

Someone has also pointed out the bell should be square to the window it's above, not square to the middle one.

Hi,

where are the 190 Didcot photos? I went back as far as p11 but no sign of them.

If its an old post then the the post number or a hyperlink would be helpful to others interested

Colin.

Edited by BWsTrains

Hi Scott,

Right - her we go! There is a cross bar behind the window which is the white line you are seeing. The second shot with the vertical bars is the REAR windows of No. 190 at the luggage compartment end. No. 190 is presented in the condition that it was built in. These windows were removed later on when it was found that coal falling off the locomotive smashed them on a regular basis! They were eliminated entirely on later versions. Look at No. 231 which is Hawksworth and you will see that they were never fitted. Interestingly, No. 92 (Churchward era) was fitted with side windows and a corridor gangway. I’m not sure what you mean about the bell being central - it’s over the drivers window and if you have a look at where the controls are on my picture of No. 93, you will imagine where it is.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: Quick grab off of Wikipedia to illustrate the bell placement:

post-14393-0-54448500-1521411309_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Castle
  • Like 3

Hi Scott,

Right - her we go! There is a cross bar behind the window which is the white line you are seeing. The second shot with the vertical bars is the REAR windows of No. 190 at the luggage compartment end. No. 190 is presented in the condition that it was built in. These windows were removed later on when it was found that coal falling off the locomotive smashed them on a regular basis! They were eliminated entirely on later versions. Look at No. 231 which is Hawksworth and you will see that they were never fitted. Interestingly, No. 92 (Churchward era) was fitted with side windows and a corridor gangway. I’m not sure what you mean about the bell being central - it’s over the drivers window and if you have a look at where the controls are on my picture of No. 93, you will imagine where it is.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: Quick grab off of Wikipedia to illustrate the bell placement:

attachicon.gifAE24F181-88F9-453B-8A5E-E34735FD5578.jpeg

Your grab tweaked

post-26975-0-34559900-1521411752_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. Brilliant infact. Didn't realise that was the rear and great to know why they were removed!

I'll check the bell tomorrow. But I think it's not sitting flush to the window, it's mounted square to the middle one. The placement is right, the angle is wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Scary close up time.. Yuck.

This is what I was blundering to explain last night. The bell is square to the middle panel. If you look at the post up of either the Wiki page, or 178 you can see that the bell sits at the angle of the window it's over.

post-19113-0-34063200-1521450727_thumb.jpg

Some cracking shots on here.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/autotrailer%2Cdidcot

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been able to tweak the bell quite easily. It simply pulled out and then there was a hole with some plastic support around. I fattened it off and drilled the hole out so I could shift the angle. I took another look at the handrails around the drivers door and made the decision that it would be better to make my own replacements. I've got a hand rail bending tool, so quite easy to build handrails of a standard size.

post-19113-0-04396400-1521560082_thumb.jpg

Couple more tweaks and touches and I hope to get a coach of varnish. 

• Like 9

Good progress Scott, You had me worried for a minute there, -  I've just had to nip up in the loft to check my Hawksworth autotrailer and make sure I  put the driver on the correct side of the coach....All ok phew!

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Hi Scott,

Right - her we go! There is a cross bar behind the window which is the white line you are seeing.

Er... no there isn't - at least not in the cab. The 3/8" white line was allegedly applied to prevent Dirty Engine People from sticking their head through a plate glass window. The line is usually on the inside of the glass, but there are a few photos in John Lewis' books that show it having a gap where the windscreen wiper is - so some were painted on the outside.

I can understand why - it's a b*ggr to paint on the inside.

Pete S.

Er... no there isn't - at least not in the cab. The 3/8" white line was allegedly applied to prevent Dirty Engine People from sticking their head through a plate glass window. The line is usually on the inside of the glass, but there are a few photos in John Lewis' books that show it having a gap where the windscreen wiper is - so some were painted on the outside.

I can understand why - it's a b*ggr to paint on the inside.

Pete S.

Hi Pete,

Shows what memory does for you! I could have sworn that... Thanks for the save mate!

Any Castle Class Loco questions anyone? Anyone?

I’ll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle