RMweb

Static Grass mixtures

Just built a static grass applicator and obviously want to start testing it. I have been looking at what's on offer but what I really want, and can't seem to find, is an assortment pack that would give me a selection of various lengths and colours.

Dies anyone know of such a thing?

Regards,

Tony

post-11988-0-18494500-1492525816_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just built a static grass applicator and obviously want to start testing it. I have been looking at what's on offer but what I really want, and can't seem to find, is an assortment pack that would give me a selection of various lengths and colours.

Dies anyone know of such a thing?

Regards,

Tony

Nice work, not seen the head angled at 90 degree before. Good idea.

I'm pretty sure static grass only comes in separate size lengths, rather than mixed.

I could be wrong of course and will be corrected by the membership if that's the case.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob, the head was originally a flour shaker.

If that is the case, that there aren't any assortment packs available, is there a "budget" range of not too poor a quality?

Thanks again

Hi Antony,

I think they are all around the same price point and quality for a given length. A quick search on Ebay will give you an idea and you'll see the ranges.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Rob

Unfortunately, cheap static grass is a bit of a misnomer; its usually way too shiny, and comes in silly colours!

Green scenes do some very nice authentic UK centric colours, and the owner John Lloyd is very helpful, so if you have any grass related questions, he will be able to help.

Have a look at the Polak range, they are good quality grasses.

Mini Natur are also recommended, though I'm not sure of a supplier.

• RMweb Premium

There's also: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N07066&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+07066 and 

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N07071&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+07071 for assortments. 

Unfortunately, cheap static grass is a bit of a misnomer; its usually way too shiny, and comes in silly colours!

Green scenes do some very nice authentic UK centric colours, and the owner John Lloyd is very helpful, so if you have any grass related questions, he will be able to help.

Have a look at the Polak range, they are good quality grasses.

Mini Natur are also recommended, though I'm not sure of a supplier.

Building on Tom's comment, some fibre colours are not suitable for UK-based layouts, but some are. Noch fibres generally seem to be shinier than the likes of Heki and Faller. Polak has been reported as fairly matt - I am about to try some, having bought samples from Bezzy Oppo of this parish at York. John of GreenScene also has some Mininatur products for sale, though not sure if they are on the GS web-site yet. 

• Like 1

There's also: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N07066&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+07066 and 

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N07071&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+07071 for assortments. 

Building on Tom's comment, some fibre colours are not suitable for UK-based layouts, but some are. Noch fibres generally seem to be shinier than the likes of Heki and Faller. Polak has been reported as fairly matt - I am about to try some, having bought samples from Bezzy Oppo of this parish at York. John of GreenScene also has some Mininatur products for sale, though not sure if they are on the GS web-site yet. 

Mini Natur' full range of colours are now difficult to get hold of in this country. I order direct from the company in Germany (just google Mini Natur de). They email you when your order is ready and you can pay by paypal.

In my opinion their range is outstanding quality but they ideally need mixing (I do it in a food blender) before application. I also combine 4mm/6mm/12mm lengths together).

Have a look at the Polak range, they are good quality grasses.

I have no problem with recommending this product and judging the sales at the recent York show, quite a few  others will  join me there.

Seconded. Their range of gorse bushes in 7mm is outstanding

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to buying some 6mm grass mixture, and tonight I tested out the applicator, bearing in mind this is my first try,and that the glue still needs to dry, I am quite pleased with the results.

One thought, the fly swatter I based it on uses 2 AA batteries, and I note that other builders have swatters that use 9v batteries, would I be better off building a mark 2 with the higher power battery, or would it make next to no difference?

post-11988-0-08778400-1499457042_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't try to increase the battery on a flyswat circuit, they can burn out, you can add a single extra 1.5v without much risk, and if it burns out and is the type with a single transistor output, then you can fit a more powerful rated transistor. The circuits vary a lot and use the multiplying Cockcroft ladder of capacitors and diodes to increase the voltage. The output transistor feeds the ladder circuit.

I have seen one without the transistor, it used an unmarked I.C. Most being transistor are meant to be occasional use, not continuous, so if you circuit trace and find the transistor, and it is marked, then fit another one in parallel, lead to lead, doubles the rating.

Running on a higher voltage does not increase the output proportionately, the power just runs the oscillator and power transistor.

It's tempting to think a bigger unit works faster, they do, but do you really want to work that fast? For occasional large areas a puffer bottle works well anyway.

You can make flock from scratch, use embroidery wool.) it comes in hundreds of shades), and chomp up with sharp scissors, you can then mixed and match to your hearts content, and at the lengths you want. Silk can be used as can fine nylon etc.

Stephen