RMweb

Dapol A4 blowing decoders

mikecu

Has anyone had any problems with the Dapol A4 blowing decoders.

I have fitted two DCC23 decoders to the Dapol A4 N gauge loco and both failed after programming the loco number. The first I removed from a running Farish loco and fitted it to the Dapol A4 it moved the loco about 1/2" and smoked. the second tried to run but my ECoS buzzed and  tripped the overload protection. 

I have no problems on any of my other locos running on my layout.

Are the motor brushes isolated  from the track wires

if for example the right rail (red wire) is bridged to the motor + (orange wire NMRA standard) the loco will work on DC but when the DC plug is removed & a DCC chip is fitted there is a short between the rail & the output of the decoder & the magic smoke escapes

Ask me how I know

There may be solder bridging tracks on the circuit board or the uninsulated end of a wire touching somewhere it shouldn't

John

• 1 year later...

Are the motor brushes isolated  from the track wires

if for example the right rail (red wire) is bridged to the motor + (orange wire NMRA standard) the loco will work on DC but when the DC plug is removed & a DCC chip is fitted there is a short between the rail & the output of the decoder & the magic smoke escapes

Ask me how I know

There may be solder bridging tracks on the circuit board or the uninsulated end of a wire touching somewhere it shouldn't

John

I recently has problems with a Dapol A4 which ran perfectly on DC power but which, after conversion to DCC, shorted-out on curves whenever run backwards! I found that the motor brush wires were shorting-out to the 3rd set of tender wheels because the brush-capacitor wires were too close to the wheels.  Once I had spotted this, I carefully bent the wires well clear of the wheels and the problem was completely solved!

Doug

• 3 years later...