Grand Lake, LA (Was: New Module with no name)

Zomboid

I've been soldering the wires to the track. Which has worked pretty well so far, though I hadn't considered the option of soldering the joiners onto the rail. I'll see if I remember that next time I'm laying track - all being well that'll be some time away!

...but don't solder the joiners to both of the tracks that they are joining This leaves the track the ability to expand without distorting

• 3 months later...

Long time no update...

That's not going to change much. I've been painting the Walthers Golden Valley depot into an approximation of SP yellow/ brown colours, which has at least proven to me that I'm not one of the world's painters... Photos once it's all stuck together and everyone can see how ropey it is. I probably ought to buy an airbrush, but that's for another time.

What I really wanted to say was that I've recently acquired a copy of "Mixed Train Daily", and if anyone doesn't have a copy, then you should put that right. A fascinating book, and justification for running a 2-8-2 on a single combine...

• Like 1

Here it is then, a shoddy "Golden Valley Depot". For what little it's worth, I thought it was a really good kit. Went together very nicely.

post-25860-0-17535800-1525686943_thumb.jpg

post-25860-0-98169200-1525686980_thumb.jpg

I brush painted it before assembly, and the result of that is that the paint is way too thick in some places, the window bars in particular. The green of the roof is too green, and the brown might be a little bit too brown (though I did originally try with a lighter colour, but that didn't look very nice). I suspect that the SP paint scheme might have been a bit too ambitious for a first attempt, too - particularly the contrasting panels on the doors. Still, it'll do for now, I can think about other buildings and come back and upgrade this later on once I've got a bit more skill, and probably an airbrush.

After that I spent a bit more time playing around with washes on these 3 (1466 is DC only, and doesn't run very well, so seemed OK to sacrifice for this experiment).

post-25860-0-18778900-1525708419_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. Quite a good tool for taking that plastic sheen off things, though maybe not for any fine details... I also tried it on my freshly finished depot. That was... irritating. I now know that enamel based washes can be used to remove acrylic paint (I bought a commercial mix, so I don't know exactly what in it, but I assume it's mostly enamel thinners and enamel paint).     :banghead:

Ah well, I was going to replace it eventually anyhow... :cry: :laugh:

• Like 1

Find me photos of the depot at Abbeville, and I'll make you one and post it to you, if you'd like? I like a scratchbuilding challenge, I'm very much personally invested in your layout now. :)

I'm (flattered? Honoured? Something along those lines...) that you'd do something like that for me. I'll do a bit of research and let you know if I find anything out. I'd speculate that it'll be a standard SP depot of some sort.

It'll be interesting finding out at least...

• Like 1

15 minutes on Google brings up some interesting info...

Turns out the old freight house is still standing in Abbeville, on the SW corner of the intersection of South Jefferson & West Lafayette. Sadly the Google car hasn't driven down either. Here's a few...  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=The+Depot+at+Magdalen+Place&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjllIfXl_TaAhUpBMAKHaxcAzUQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=686

No such luck with the passenger depot, but there are two pictures (one very fuzzy...) here http://abbeville-louisiana.wikimapia.org/photos/. Interesting at least.

And the Sanborn maps here are also fascinating, if not particularly useful for depot information http://www.vermilionhistorical.com/features/sanborn_maps.htm - they've also got this which I think has to be the freight house based on the maps (photo was probably taken from the passenger depot) http://www.vermilionhistorical.com/images/rice_mill_and_depot.jpg. I'll probably try to base my representation of the rice mill at least partially on that.

The Depot is most definitely the old freight house. Here's a photo of it still in use back in the 1970's:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=735089

If I can find out what Standard Type Depot the one at Abbeville was, I could hopefully find suitable photographs of the same type of depot elsewhere in the country and be able to say reasonably that a model made of it would be accurate.

My knowledge of SP Depot types is quite poor though.

I've asked around on some SP groups on Facebook to see if anyone recognises the depot type. :)

What footprint do you have for the depot on your layout, so I can do some selective compression if needed?

Re Abbeville depot - I've been in touch with the Vermillion Historical Society, and they don't have a whole lot more information, but there are a few glimpses of the depot in this slideshow: http://www.vermilionhistorical.com/features/presentations/abbeville_in_1922/abbeville_in_1922.htm (slides 52-68 in particular).

Probably not enough to be much good for building anything, but I'll share it because it's interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

Oh that's definitely good!

There's an image of the back of the depot, which I've not been able to find anywhere else.

It's certainly a typical eSPee depot, but I've yet to find the exact type.

I've not forgotten though. :)

• Like 1

The back of the depot? you mean the one with the boys on the tanks?

It's the maps that interest me the most, I'd probably have built the track slightly differently if I'd seen them before. That and proof that loco 220 visited (though if it's SP 220 is another question...).

I've been messing around with the washes again. Attacked my RS3 and a couple more freight cars today...

post-25860-0-18556400-1526750165_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot better than when it was box fresh, but I don't think perfection has been achieved yet, though I guess it's all about practise. Annoyingly the glazing reacted with the wash (presumably the thinners part), but never mind, can't see a way to go back on that, so I guess I'll have to see about replacing it.

Here's a close-up of the loco.

post-25860-0-71539600-1526750265_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No progress to report, just a couple of photos that I liked from running my trains at Bearwood today:

post-25860-0-50925000-1528563181_thumb.jpg

This module is called Coconut Grove, and I believe it's supposed to be Florida. So my GN RS3 couldn't be much more out of place without being on the wrong continent...

post-25860-0-49917500-1528563193_thumb.jpg

RS11 waiting for clearance to proceed at Telegraph Road.

• Like 4