How do/did rail level crossings work

chas_n

I was reading about the Pines Express, and an old article mentioned this crossing at Ashchurch, where the Midland main line was crossed by the GW Evesham-Tewkesbury line. It's a good photo but I still can't make out how the GW lines actually got across the Midland line. I don't think there are any gaps in the Midland tracks, though it's hard to be certain. And I can't make out any guide rails on the GW line that I thought would be needed if it would work a bit like a diamond crossing. There must be some moving parts somewhere. Any clues?

post-7763-0-13086900-1496775545_thumb.jpg

If you zoom in you can see the gaps in the running rails and check rails.

This is a good picture of the flat crossing at Newark which still exists today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/10824265765

there is also one on the Ffestiniog/ Welsh Highland line And the BR Cambrian coast line.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/cgi-bin/emAlbum_press.cgi?c=show_full;p=Old%20Stuff/Cae%20Pawb%20Crossing;img=hr_arup-camb-021106-2.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's just the camera angle doesn't pick up the gaps in the crosswise rails, they're there, exactly the same as the lengthwise rails. There's enough space for the wheel flanges to pass through in each direction. There are no moving parts for crossings at such a wide angle as this. Because the wheels are momentarily unsupported, there's a hammering on the crossing, so it needs a lot of attention to keep things tightened up and well supported by packing the ballast.

Ps. Both routes are ex MR. The crossing is a builtup type, rails bolted together. The more modern approach is one piece cast steel, which takes the hammering better.

OK thanks both. Quite right about the Evesham Tewkesbury line being Midland - I forgot. I thought there might be gaps in the track, but really still can't make out the check rails in the crossing line, but obviously they must be there. Those 2 photos are very clear.

Archived