modifying RTR

It occurred to me that one of the factors which must influence bodging is the cost of the original model.

Nellies ,Pollies Pugs and so forth are now cheap and relatively easy to get hold of.

Recen models are becoming costly although the level of detail is remarkable. so that bashing them is  aquestion of doing a bit of damage to a 100 plus quid model.

As a n inveterate bodger  almost nothing I have is as the manufacturer intended.

Iwas given a J15 I thought to convert it into a GER prototype, fairly straightforward but I realised that the giver had paid the best part of a ton for it, so am reluctant to attack it. The same goes for the Claud.

In the first case I found a bashed up Gibson kit in a box at a show for considerably less than the cost of a Hornby J15, it now runs as a gE loco. and in the second  a hacked b12 body on and L1 chassis fits the bill for about twenty and a bit of work, probably no more work that doing a back date to a Hornby Claud.

I note from recent correspondence on another topic that folk are waiting for a gER J70, is this because they are understandably reluctant to attack 11 squids worth of reall nice model to backdate it?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think you're dead right.  I haven't actually done a count but do get the impression of a long term trend for more layouts either in magazines or on the exhibition circuit with almost unaltered rolling stock.  Most of my locos were bought for less than £20 (normally secondhand) at least 20 years ago.  In real terms, new locos would cost double that price now and are much better detailed, so I can understand the reluctance to attack them with knives...

Meanwhile I will continue to repair and improve other people's cast-offs.  It's all practice and we know what that makes.

Still 'bashing' when the feedstock is well priced, tradeable, s/h or from the scrap bin (like bodies of old and long ago mechanically worn out split chassis models) in various combinations. Very pleased with my J39 repower using a  J11 mechanism: the loco and tender mouldings sold on to a friend making P4 running gear for them, which made the cost very reasonable when compared to any other repower option.

Just splashed out on a new razor saw to permit operations to commence on a recently acquired s/h Bach O4, which is going to get a B1 boiler from a long ago worn out split chassis model to hopefully create a representation of the O4/7. Also facing similar treatment is a Hornby B17 got at a low price, to be restyled in time as a B2 using cylinders etc from the same dead B1.

The one piece of surgery I have not been able to bring myself to do is to the significantly inaccurate cab side windows of the Hornby Brush type 2 (class 30) because I have not been able to devise a satisfactory correction. But just a few weeks ago, came a suggestion to transplant the entire cab roof bay, with the cabside window posts, from a more accurate body (Lima or Airfix), using the construction break lines on the roof to relatively easily hide the most visible join. I need Brush type 2s for my modelling, and I want them to look like the prototypes, and it would definitely cost more to try and build one from a kit rather than take a saw to the Hornby (is there a 4mm class 30/Brush 2 kit?).

... do get the impression of a long term trend for more layouts either in magazines or on the exhibition circuit with almost unaltered rolling stock...

Let's face it, the variety now on offer in good quality RTR was inevitably going to contribute to this trend. Not so long ago if your layout location demanded a class 17 or 28, a J50 or Stanier mogul, it was necessary to get busy. Likewise if there was to be decent rolling stock variety. While there is still a need to do this for most subjects the pressure is not so great: at least some of the character items for a location are likely to be available.

there's another problem too, making a kit or scratchbuild to a matching standard fot to be seen alongside the current RTR. I can do it easily with wagons, but matching the finesse of the paintwork and glazing of coaches and locos is a real challenge. I stick largely to black and dirty locos, and coaches that were looking tatty!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Let's face it ,the real world restorers are at exactly the same game to recreate long-lost classes.

I too am an inveterate schemer wishing to create what my better-half calls ''iffers'', pinching the name from Pete Wilson on Radio Glo'ster's show.

I am currently creating an

HSDT set with correct coaches, sound both ends, wi-fi camera fitted inside looking through the cab, works well, being rebuilt and finished.

HST to the same spec

I am also maintaining and updating the Buchshee layout for exhibition [any show invites?  We are based near Stratford-upon-Avon and are members of Redditch MRC

I am researching what bits are needed to create the following

BR standard 2-8-2 using Brit and 9F parts

BR standard Crosti Caprotti class 5 using cl.5 boiler, cab,Duke Caprotti valve gear

GWR 4-6-2 ''super-King", using Princess and King parts

as well as wire-handrails and wipers onto an Airfix cl.31 

At our local club last year, I was offered a box for £40 of crudely de-chipped and non-running locos which included 2 Warships, cl.25, cl.31,cl.37,cl.47, A3 [skiving flotsam] with tender sound, remember that?, A4 [fat-nose], Royal Scot [rebuilt], GWR 4-4-0 County, BR standard 4MTT and some bits [some even identifiable].

It took me 20 hours off and on to get them all running, some noisily with iffy gears. How much for parts? £2 for red and black wire. 50 penn'orth of solder. The gears will be sorted as parts can be bartered / sourced at the right money.

11 locos and spares for under £45.

Why I have put this in?

It is not to brag ''look how clever I am'' but to confirm others' comments on cost-effective modelling.

Since then, I have picked up a cl.44 for £15 that took 10 minutes to fix, a[nother] Royal Scot with tender sound that just needed a new battery in the tender [£15], a Lima BR 0-6-0 94xx [ a fiver].

These have all been acquired for the simple fun of super-detailing. All have / will have full front-end details, some will even run on the club's new layout.

Surviving on only a standard pension, the new £200 locos are nice to look at, but I manage not to covet others' purchases that will never come out of the box. Mind a nice cheap Clan would be appreciated.

Let's face it even Lion [the diesel] got dirty once or twice, but photos to show its weathering pattern have been hard-to-find. And as for actually dirtying it [brand-new, no less], well it had to be done.

After all, I'm not called Sun Street for nothing. A 60s Wulfrunian knows the spot at the back of The Great Western public house, and l went to this spot most days after school if it was not raining. A great spot to watch both levels of Wolverhampton's stations' approaches.

Ah!!!! And the sun always shone and all the engines were polished, yeah, right!

I'll shut up and go away now

Pete

• RMweb Premium

11 locos and spares for under £45.

Since then, I have picked up a cl.44 for £15 that took 10 minutes to fix, a[nother] Royal Scot with tender sound that just needed a new battery in the tender [£15], a Lima BR 0-6-0 94xx [ a fiver].

----------------------------------------

Wow, I thought I was a successful bargain hunter.  Well done, sir.

I've just bought a layout [http://www.redditch-mrc.com/Buckshee%20-%20Photographs%201.htm]from a friend at the club.

In my view, it was a good price and, noting its name, the club's constructional ethos, Buchanan's nationality, the layout's fictional base just south of Oban, then I must be turning into an honorary Scot myself. i am certainly having to be extremely abstemious at the moment.

So, by moving its time-line slightly, it can be run as a preservation line, this means only number and name changes and I can run anything and hopefully get away with it. So the stud mentioned above can be justified on the layout.

As Buch is part of the layout's exhibition crew, I am able to run his stock, returning it its original theme.

Now, that's what l call cost-effective modelling!!

Pete

Edited by Sun Street