Hornby B set colour matching

Hello everyone, just a quick question, I'm in the process of blanking off the window next to the guards door  (the one that shouldn't be there anyway)  on two 'B' set coaches by Hornby (R4293D). coach W6590W. They will be left in BR colours as supplied  - not sure if it is BR maroon? - can anyone tell me what would be the closest colour match to allow a touch up job, rather than requiring a full repaint?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

SIGTECH

(Steve).

Hello everyone, just a quick question, I'm in the process of blanking off the window next to the guards door  (the one that shouldn't be there anyway)  on two 'B' set coaches by Hornby (R4293D). coach W6590W. They will be left in BR colours as supplied  - not sure if it is BR maroon? - can anyone tell me what would be the closest colour match to allow a touch up job, rather than requiring a full repaint?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

SIGTECH

(Steve).

The Hornby R4293D livery is BR (early) crimson / carmine or "blood"  not the later maroon.  I don't know which of the BR crimson paints would be a match though,

Trying to match manufactures paints is usually a bit of a lottery; what I usually do is when in a model shop is to compare the model with the paints. Usually its a case of mixing some together to get a perfect match or if only a slight difference live with it. Paint was handmixed until the 1960s in the paint shops so slight variations in colour would have existed anyway.

Have just spent an hour in my local model shop, comparing paint tins, and purchased three different shades of red: Humbrol enamel matt 153(Insignia Red). Humbrol acrylic 220 ?,(noname...)

Revell 331 acrylic (Purple Red) silk matt - along with also trying Precision Paints (Bufferbeam Red)dull B49 matt,- I begin now to see what you mean...

Closest match seems to be Revell, the Hornby coach finish seems to be more a dark red than Crimson and I haven't bothered with trying the Humbrol Crimson acrylic after reading the comment on post 3 above.

Well now it's time to try some painting/mixing/repainting/mixing/repainting/sanding/repainting...

Wish me luck!!- I think I may be some time on this...

Regards

SIGTECH

(Steve)

• RMweb Gold

Glad I browsed this as I had no idea that that window shouldn't be there!  We are talking about the one between the guard's door and the single second class compartment that I think is the non-smoker, right?  It will need filling with Milliput, smoothing off to match the coach side, and painting presumably and at least the paint matching should not be an issue for me as I can simply use the colour I've just re-painted the coaches in anyway, Humbrol RC 423 acrylic; this information has surfaced at an opportune moment.

Happy with the shade of RC 423 under my lighting, btw; looks about right to me for a newly painted crimson coach, and will be toned down a little with weathering once the transfers and varnish are applied anyway.

Edited by The Johnster

After many naughty words have been uttered by me, and much paint wasted, along with time spent (literally) watching it dry, I have got an acceptable finish on the B set coaches where the surplus window has been removed - providing one does not look too closely....The shade is still slightly darker, but life is too short to worry that much.

The HMRS transfers are all finally fitted - pig of a job! I think I can see why many people tend to use Cambridge Custom Transfers now.

I had a few problems with a couple of windows misting involving White spirit...This resulted in bringing out the Johnsons Multi Surface Wax('Klear').

Also found out that the partial renumbering on one side of a coach is slightly wonky.....can't be *&^%$ to redo it all again,- as this is now becoming tiresome.

So all that remains is to reassemble them.

post-18197-0-98884400-1501417802_thumb.jpgpost-18197-0-76322200-1501417850_thumb.jpg

post-18197-0-63939200-1501418681_thumb.jpgpost-18197-0-93683200-1501418792_thumb.jpg

A useful learning exercise, if only in when best to leave well alone!

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Edited by sigtech
  • Like 1

Had a mood change yesterday and suddenly came over all positive,- so b set reassembled, wheels and axles blackened, roofs masked and sprayed matt black, and it does looks much better, so deciding to continue with this task, a Dapol Fruit 'D', Hornby Stanier 50' bogie full parcels Brake van, Hornby WR Syphon 'G' and a BR(WR) suburban 57'non - corridor second, all successfully completed, hooray!! The only down side is I have now run out of Humbrol spray Matt Black 33 - a trip to the model shop is required.

post-18197-0-35176900-1501541033_thumb.jpgpost-18197-0-09761300-1501541085_thumb.jpg

post-18197-0-91650700-1501541134_thumb.jpgpost-18197-0-95693800-1501541185_thumb.jpg

Regards

SIGTECH

(Steve).