RMweb

7mm goods yard lamps

billtee

I'm building (very slowly!) an O gauge layout and now working on a small(?) goods yard. I've built a goods shed lit with 2 12v GOW bulbs, but wired in parallel to 12v supply they were too bright; in series they were too dim. Eventually wired the lights in series through a switch to my DCC track power (about 15v AC?), and that gives me just about right brightness!

Now I want to put in some British-type goods yard lights, I think the posts weren't very tall, and had two arms which go upwards to the light itself which depends from a small shade (?). However, I can't find a supplier of them, and I am requiring about 6 (they will also be lighting up my loco depot.

Can anyone suggest a firm? The bulb of each lamp may be 12v GOWheat or GORice, or LED - I have plenty of 1k ohm resistors!

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bill

Edited by billtee

Thanks for the tip about lamp shades - they look great! It looks as though I will have to make the yard lights, I was hopng some company made them in 7mm scale, but apparently not! Hey ho!

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Bill

I have tried the Peco lights, and I'm not impressed as they are so fiddly to assemble! I'm wanting the electric lights (?) on a tall pole. I have plenty of goods yard and engine storage yard photos, and virtually all show a light post about(!) every four locomotives in distance from the next pole. I can't see any ladders up the poles on several photos, but on others there are ladders even though the lamps (under the shades) appear to be electric.

I have looked on the website for them, but can only find them in 4mm scale. Thank you, everyone, for your help. Bill

Edited by billtee

I have tried the Peco lights, and I'm not impressed as they are so fiddly to assemble! I'm wanting the electric lights (?) on a tall pole. I have plenty of goods yard and engine storage yard photos, and virtually all show a light post about(!) every four locomotives in distance from the next pole. I can't see any ladders up the poles on several photos, but on others there are ladders even though the lamps (under the shades) appear to be electric.

I have looked on the website for them, but can only find them in 4mm scale. Thank you, everyone, for your help. Bill

have you seen these?

http://www.layouts4u.net/oscale.html

no idea, not tried them but would be interested in feedback if you do