RMweb

Anyone Interested in Fire Appliances?

Baby Deltic

Thank you all for the info, quite interesting.

When I started it was a County Borough, The 3rd one is the Thornycroft Major Foam Tender of its day, The 4 axle one was an Irish Timony appliance also had a 2 axle faster rescue appliance. Airport appliances were not allowed to have Twin rear wheels they could get clogged in mud, so only single wheels to give better grip.

Also Airports did not have the same rules as County Appliances, they could be all colours. we were Yellow up into the 80s. 

Another fact may be of interest is that the front and rear of the main major appliances had to have a slope to enable crossing ditches better.

This was the fleets when I started and the last when I left. These were Dutch Kronbergs think they were called.

Hope OK.

post-9384-0-60454700-1501683602_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-74325700-1501683640_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-30321800-1501683681_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-81800100-1501683718_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-78112900-1501683743_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-58935300-1501683785_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I do like to photograph fire engines when the opportunity arises.

A modern German airport example:

28848785794_a2ed4b5cea_c.jpg

Düsseldorf Airport fire appliance by Timothy Young, on Flickr

A rather older German example!

5665729664_d40d4f842c_b.jpg

German fire engine at Colditz by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Most of the ones I see are at racing events, this is Santa Pod Raceway, Northampton - not sure of the history behind this appliance, I guess it was a regular service engine previously:

6081665691_5763f6e26e_b.jpg

Santa Pod fire truck on the scene by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 9

A video of the 1990 Colchester Searchlight Tattoo featuring an emergency services demo at 1hr 34 mins. A simulated helicopter crash. On the fire appliance front there is a Mercedes Unimog foam tender (Stansted) a Dennis RS rescue pump (Colchester) and Shelvoke SPV rescue tender (Colchester). Interestingly by this time, all the other emergency services in Essex were using electronic wailing or yelping sirens but Essex County Fire & Rescue Service used two tone horns until at least the mid 1990s with the exception of staff cars which used those awful two tone electric car horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YczqA6fjNpU&t=6093s

A video clip Colchester Open Day 1994 featuring a Shelvoke SPV hydraulic platform (C831 GNO), Shelvoke SPV rescue tender (UTW 421W), a Dennis Rapier rescue pump and Dennis Rapier water tender. The hydrauic platform was a Shelvoke with Saxon coachwork and a Simon SS263 100ft hydraulic boom. It was involved in an RTA en-route to a shout in 1994 when it overturned on a roundabout and was subsequently withdrawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxUEfSON0o

Edited by Baby Deltic

A few years back I saw one of the London f.b. Volvo 8x4 Bronto skylifts parked up at the West Yorkshire f.b. training center a Birkenshaw. I have also seen several other appliances visiting the center from several other areas, but nothing as big.

On a slight tangent, recently Mirfield fire station was attacked by an arsonist who managed to start a fire at the rear of the building which caused approx. £30,000 of damage. Fortunately nobody was hurt as its a retained station and there was no damage to the appliance or equipment, but it does mean that at the moment the station is unavailable as its regular charity venue.

What sort of idiot tries to burn down a fire station ?

Edited by tamperman36

A few years back I saw one of the London f.b. Volvo 8x4 Bronto skylifts parked up at the West Yorkshire f.b. training center a Birkenshaw. I have also seen several other appliances visiting the center from several other areas, but nothing as big.

I knew a London fireman many years ago who used to drive one of those Bronto's. Apparently they were an absolute pain to maneouvre down some of the narrower London streets so the brigade didn't order any more appliances that large again.

• 2 weeks later...

[/url]ESSEX COUNTY FIRE BRIGADE by Graham Hopwood, on Flickr">https://27202189125_465db97b84_b.jpgESSEX COUNTY FIRE BRIGADE by Graham Hopwood, on Flickr

A classic lineup of appliances outside Colchester Fire Station, I would say around 1986. On the right is B92 BJN, a Dennis RS water tender. It looks like it may have been built by either Dennis Motors themselves, or maybe John Dennis coachbuilders. The second appliance is C834 GNO, a Dennis RS rescue pump with coachwork by Carmichael. We then have C831 GNO, a Shelvoke SPV hydraulic platform. This appliance has the Shelvoke 'P' Type cab with WY chassis. The coachwork is by Saxon and it has a Simon SS263 hydraulic boom. The last appliance is UTW 421W as seen previously, a Shelvoke SPV rescue tender with coachwork by Pilcher Greene. The similarity between the Dennis RS and Shelvoke 'P' Type cabs is very evident and a far departure from their more classic designs, especially in the case of Dennis. Both companies, although competitors, entered a joint venture with a London based design company called Ogle to develop a new cab design for their modern look, hence the similarities, especially with windscreen shape. In the end, Shelvoke ceased trading and Dennis ended up owning all of their designs. Dennis themselve dropped out of the fire engine market completely with Scania taking the lion's share, and now mainly build chassis for busses.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...