Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

The four ram steering gear arrangement with a Hele-Shaw bi-directional variable delivery pump controlled by a hydraulic telemotor arrangement was a brilliant piece of design. It provided a rock solid dependable steering system suitable for remote control and offering stepless control. Hele-Shaw pumps were followed by variable delivery swash-plate pumps which could provide the same service with a much smaller pump but again offered an all hydraulic control arrangement. Hydraulic telemotor systems were replaced with electric control arrangements years ago, constant delivery pumps with solenoid control valves and electronic rudder angle feedback etc and although these systems are much easier for the helmsman (on the older systems you needed muscles like He-Man if getting a succession of rudder movement orders) and more easy to integrate with auto-pilot systems I always found there was an elegant simplicity and "rightness" about the older arrangements. Nowadays rotary vane steering gear tends to be much more common (for the second half of my sea career all I saw was rotary vane) and although they're very dependable and a lot lighter and more compact I have to admit I always had more confidence in the old four ram gear.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't Chandres Line's funnel a black topped blue funnel with a white cross?

Sort of like the Scottish flag but with a black top.

Kev.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:01, The Stationmaster said:

Do they also manage the 'hotel' side of things?    Is it possible to split it anyway from the management of the seafaring side?

Sorry, I missed this question. Under the ISM Code the "Company" is:

"the Owner of the ship or any other organization or person such as the Manager, or the bareboat Charterer, who has assumed the responsibility for operation of the ship from the Shipowner and who on assuming such responsibility has agreed to take over all the duties and responsibility imposed by the Code."

Therefore the company as defined by the ISM Code is responsible for safe management of the ship, the overriding authority of the master is also an integral part of ISM. So whether or not the entertainment and hotel service aspects are separated from the seafaring side in terms of contractual arrangements the regulatory framework is quite clear that the "company" under ISM has full authority for safe management of the ship. On cruise ships it is quite normal for some of the hotel and entertainment services to be managed as concessions and for different agencies to manage personnel provision etc but usually cruise ship owners self manage for the purposes of ISM and will also manage the entertainment and hotel services. It is quite unusual for a cruise ship to be managed by a ship manager who is the company under ISM, although it is very common for cargo ships.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Wasn't Chandres Line's funnel a black topped blue funnel with a white cross?

Sort of like the Scottish flag but with a black top.

Yes, the Greek letter "Chi" (X) for Chandris. They were a big participant in the post-war emigration trade to Australia.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, lightengine said:

HMS Endurance in dry dockFB_IMG_1541717072461.jpg.12be41cfcb0447bc35737cf57bbc4980.jpg

That's not HMS Endurance, it's an old OSV, looks like a mid 70's - early 80's vintage one.

Another of my old tubs.  MV European Trader a freight ferry used predominantly on the Dover to Zeebrugge service.  Berthed on the Eastern Arm of Eastern Docks, Dover astern of the European Endeavour.

FB_IMG_1504714317135.jpg

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 3

Artania Shipping cruise ship 'Artania'   on charter to Phoenix Reisen of Germany. Berthed in Ibiza  6th May 2019  The ship was previously named Royal Princess (for Princess Cruises)  and christened by Diana, Princess of Wales.

IMG_2193.JPG.f36781bb13f8cf63c40be1b87647a5f6.JPG

Edited by NorthBrit
Added more information

Pride of Bruges, berthed in Chatham naval dockyard for a lay over.  On leaving Chatham and just as we were passing the Richard Montgomery wreck we lost all engines and narrowly avoided the wreck.

20170726_195854.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2

TH 117 in Teignmouth.  This photo was taken after she had been refloated and recently been towed back into harbour.  She had got caught on a local sandbank and rolled over.

FB_IMG_1504716429310.jpg

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 3