RMweb

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Here's my first ship, joined in New Jersey July 1968 (first time I had flown too). She was  built in 1953 at Deutsche Werft Bremen, registered in London as 11,000 GRT (around 16,000 DWT) and had a single screw driven by steam turbines. We carried mainly bitumen which we loaded in Curacao. That cargo had to be kept HOT from loading to discharge so we made 14 knots when empty but barely 11 when full of tar. As winter approached on the US east coast (our usual run) we switched to carrying fuel oil for power stations. And yes, she smoked a lot too! Between her and her sister ship, I was involved in carrying tar for almost a year of my life and 7% of my time at sea.

Platidia (1).jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And sometimes nowadays you get white smoke.  'Stena Hollandica' in the Main Channel leaving Harwich on 29 April.  She will no doubt appear again, along with a variety of other ships underway at sea (but no more  fruit juice tankers alas), in my next post in this thread in the near future -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/144504-back-on-the-briny-yet-again-april-2019-part-2/

2002530504_P1010149copy.jpg.56a2e9d69af64827e1033cba192741e5.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NorthBrit said:

It was 1810 hours.    Dinnertime.:D

For the pax? Dinnertime on the ships I sailed on was 1700. Just enough time for the 12-4 to get mopped and stoned, and have a couple of cool scoops beforehand. You still shouldn't be smoking like that on what I assume was a motorship

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 62613 said:

For the pax? Dinnertime on the ships I sailed on was 1700. Just enough time for the 12-4 to get mopped and stoned, and have a couple of cool scoops beforehand. You still shouldn't be smoking like that on what I assume was a motorship

The ship in the photograph was Cruise & Maritime cruise ship 'Magellan'.  I took the photograph from the shore at South Shields as 'Magellan'  was going out to sea on her way to Dundee.  It was 1810 when I took the picture.

Dinnertime  (first sitting)  is generally  around 1800 hours.

My comment saying 'Dinnertime' and the smoke  was tongue in cheek; in that the dinner was burnt.

To say I shouldn't be smoking?     I wasn't on the ship!   I photograph them.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

The exhaust plume on the Stena Hollandica isn't smoke, it's water vapour from the exhaust gas cleaning system. 

Yes - I had presumed that was what it was but couldn't resist posting it as 'smoke' ;)  Is it a scrubber system or is it some sort of other system?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is a scrubber, if memory serves this ship has a pretty basic open loop system. Sea water is pumped up a scrubber in the exhaust, the gas passes through a curtain of sea water which removes sulphur oxides from the exhaust in a series of pretty simple chemical reactions, ending up as sulphate in the wash water which is then discharged back to sea (subject to meeting IMO wash water discharge criteria for pH, turbidity and PAH).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of cruise ships this one - which I think was probably MSC Fantasia although I didn't bother to go and look at the AIS, passed us several miles away heading north out of the English Channel.  Not a decent photo because of the range and by this time of day there was a bit too much light as I was not doing any sort of exposure compensation.  But, as I very occasionally do, for once I did take a photo of something other than my usual fare of ferries, working ships, and cargo ships.

P1010114crrd.jpg.06a3675462aaf09f5c5906e2569de609.jpg

But overall I find much more to interest me in vessels like the suction dredger 'Sand Fulmar - seen here outbound in the King's Channel with the tall radar mast between Clacton and Walton-On-The Naze visible on the coastal skyline in the background.

1392624125_P1000893copy.jpg.b7806b171c5116573ff530182e95b3d7.jpg

And for me even humble tankers like the 'Eli Knutsen' have something about them, especially when they're only just over a mile away and a reasonably decent photo can be obtained.  Passing the Foxtrot 3 lightship in the southbound separation lane in the weakening throes of 'storm' (?) Hannah.

804005256_P1000982copy.jpg.febb5779c74d918dee1e3c3b16681e72.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Here's my first ship, joined in New Jersey July 1968 (first time I had flown too). She was  built in 1953 at Deutsche Werft Bremen, registered in London as 11,000 GRT (around 16,000 DWT) and had a single screw driven by steam turbines. We carried mainly bitumen which we loaded in Curacao. That cargo had to be kept HOT from loading to discharge so we made 14 knots when empty but barely 11 when full of tar. As winter approached on the US east coast (our usual run) we switched to carrying fuel oil for power stations. And yes, she smoked a lot too! Between her and her sister ship, I was involved in carrying tar for almost a year of my life and 7% of my time at sea.

Platidia (1).jpg

Wasn't there two of them on that run, names beginning with P?

Worse places to be than Curacao I suppose, the beach with the shark net with a hole in it (said hole having been there pre WW2) and of course the Happy Valley!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Wasn't there two of them on that run, names beginning with P?

Worse places to be than Curacao I suppose, the beach with the shark net with a hole in it (said hole having been there pre WW2) and of course the Happy Valley!

Jim, Shell had a number of Bitumen boats. In my time, they were Platidia (the one pictured) Plagiola (the other one I sailed on) which were built in 1953, the Pallium (built around the end of the 50’s) and the Paloma IIRC. All predominantly worked out of the Caribbean as Venezuelan crude produced the most tar. Working for Shell, Curacao was one of my “home ports”. The other was Palau Bukom, Singapore, where in the 60’s and early 70’s the r&r offers were better than Curacao!

Did you ever go to Bullen Bay, the bunkering point? Beautiful clear waters and lovely to simply jump overboard into the sea to follow 4 on down below.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had a response to "tar boilers I have known and (not) loved", here is where I had the second (and last) of my experiences on such vessels, she was called the Plagiola. She was also built at Bremen in 1953 but was 19 years old by the time I joined her in '72 and seriously showing her age. The picture shows her leaving the bitumen berth in Curacao (sometimes called Cure-a-cocoa). 
As 4/E, the evaporators were my responsibility and they required many hours of work to keep up with the freshwater demands of so many steam leaks.  Of course solving those leaks was also a priority but that was easier said than done.  She was cut up some 12 months after I left her.

Plagiola.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

On 07/05/2019 at 13:50, jjb1970 said:

The RMI recently published the report into the loss of the Stellar Daisy, it can be found here:

https://www.register-iri.com/wp-content/uploads/Republic-of-the-Marshall-Islands-Office-of-the-Maritime-Administrator-STELLAR-DAISY-Casualty-Investigation-Report.pdf

Chilling reading.

So basically, the ship broke in half, (well, at #3 Ballast)  then sank... in under 5 minutes.  Eek !

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Kingzance, at least you were spared the motorships 4/E nightmare of purifiers!  I still wake in a sweat sometimes.....horrid things.

Not quite, I did a bit of coasting and was responsible for any and everything! I worked for a few years in a beer factory (it didn't make real ale, only coloured plastic fizz) amd we used to use some very high flow separators to remove yeast from green beer.

• Like 2