Can't change loco address - Hornby Elite

MarkNewZealand

Hi All

Question number two for the evening (NZ)/ morning (UK)

I'm trying to change the address on a Bachmann 37 loco which is fitted with a Bachmann decoder. However after numerous attempts I can't change it from the default 0003. 

The other 37 (Same configuration) worked fine. 

Could it be a dodgy decoder? It runs well and the cab lighting works so not sure what it could be?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated either on the decoder, the Elite or both. I'm pretty sure it's not operator error as I've managed to change the other one, but I could be wrong!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MarkNewZealand

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Peter about the firmware update as Hornby work to support other manufacturers decoders on a continuing basis and this support goes into the firmware. Latest version is 1.44 and the installer now works with all versions of Windows, by way of you picking a PC type (i.e. performance).

Some people report better programming success by disconnecting the Track connections, leaving only the Prog track connected.

Or you could try changing CV1 (short address) or CV17 & 18 (long address) on the main, ensuring you either remove all your stock and disconnect accessory decoders from the layout or much easier connect your programming track to the Elite Track terminals for the duration of the exercise. Program in Menu>Operations Mode on the Elite.

The reason this may work is the Elite programming output to accord with NMRA standards is limited both in current and duration whereas the Track output is full whack.

A caution though - whereas the limited current is there to protect against miswiring of a decoder, there is no such protection on the main and if there is a miswire you could well destroy the decoder.

At least you know the Elite is fine as it changes other decoders and operates them.

Rob