Bulmers Apple Freight

Tim Taylor

I've seen that Bulmers imported apples from France and transported them by rail from the docks to their plant. It seems initially they used HTO/HTV hoppers. I was wondering:

1) Was there a consistent number of wagons in each rake?

2) Were the hoppers covered or left open?

3) Any consistent motive power on the freights?

I know later they used ferry wagons however this seems to be a little late for my interest (late 60s/early 70s).

Thanks,

Tim.

I've seen that Bulmers imported apples from France and transported them by rail from the docks to their plant. It seems initially they used HTO/HTV hoppers. I was wondering:

1) Was there a consistent number of wagons in each rake?

2) Were the hoppers covered or left open?

3) Any consistent motive power on the freights?

I know later they used ferry wagons however this seems to be a little late for my interest (late 60s/early 70s).

Thanks,

Tim.

Hi Tim

Between 1964-1966, not sure of the exact year, Bulmers ran short of cider apples and brought in a train of open wagons filled and uncovered to Barton Station.

Hope this helps.

Mike Spence

It doesn't really help answer your question but may be of interest. If you enlarge this image you can see some hoppers in the background...

https://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/herefordshire-railways/166661-bulmers-cider-apples-hereford-1971

That shows 20t coke hoppers (the late build with solid sides) and 24.5t coal hoppers. These were used along with 21t coal hoppers. As it was a seasonal movement, BR used whatever hoppers were available at the time.